Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #21
x96mnn

x96mnn, If you're thinking that I'm not excited with the news release from Chrysler, you're wrong. I am very excited with the prospect of a diesel in the half ton trucks.

Actually no that's not the case. To be honest I am not excited at all with the Diesel at this point, what 240HP and 420pds torque. I can buy the Ford that gives me what 360HP and the same torque. May be a bit off on the numbers but I think I am close. I think maybe one of the biggest turn off's for buyers at this time is will this "New" engine stand the test of time and teh V6/V8 debate. The Eco Boost engine is not that new and has been around but not used as a work horse pulling 12000pds daily. This new Diesel hits the market Ford will have close to three years production on their Eco Boost and if it continues its good performance I would be sold on one. Again too early as most of the specs on the Diesel are not there but the start numbers do not give me goose bumps.

Dodge's "biggest" half ton crew cab 4X4 currently on the market has the following specs:

Max GVW 6800 lbs
Max Payload 1543 lbs
Max Tow 10,000 lbs That's a tongue weight of 1000 - 1500 lbs
Longest truck bed: 5'7" (Too short for any fifth wheel hitch manufacturer's recommendation of a min 6' bed)
GAWR front/rear 3900/3900
Wheels, Heaviest tire available is a P series 20" diameter. The wheels are not rated for LT tires.

The 13 can come with factory Air bags in the back that are adjustable to take it to 1900pds payload, 1500 hitch and the max tow of 10450. I am not able to find it on-line but can order one, the dealer showed me on his screen the build when I was in for an oil change and he was trying to upgrade me. I had only asked cause a friend of mine bought one and this was what he stated to me when he asked if he could tow a certain trailer. I think it can be added to the outdoors-man package.

One of your comments above I agree with a 100% that people by 1500's expecting to work the like a 2500. Part of me feels this is what Ford did in the Eco but again do not know enough about the truck to state that is the case. I do not know if the Max tow on it upgraded the brakes, arms, rear and list goes on to make it more of a 250. I was concerned that Ford made this ECO boost specs as they did to combat the market Dodge was taking in producing a truck that drove as a Car but again that was my 2011 logic thinking and from what most people report there does not seem to be any major issues. You will find the odd review like anything that state its over stated but you get that with anything in life. Could be Dodge guys who do not even own it making it up cause yes brand loyalty can get that Crazy. There is a guy on the Ford forum who claims all the pro reviews are just Ford hired guns out there making stuff up to make people think its good....yeah ok.

When I bought my truck in 11 the Eco was too new and I went Dodge...2016 will be a different story but I think it will be a battle of the 2500's at that point for my business.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #22
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Don't interpret this as anything "negative" toward Dodge or anyone else who introduces a diesel in the half ton series, I wish we'd have had that option for years now. But, Dodge's half ton needs to be updated "seriously" if they are going to try to compete with GM and Ford for the "HD" half ton market. First, they will need to upgrade suspension, axles, frame components to make them heavier than current availability. ie: 6 or 7 lug wheels, not "car wheels" as are the only current availabiltiy, improved axle load limits, and stiffer frames.

I am excited to see the introduction of diesels into the half ton's, now it's just a matter of meeting the competetion to build a chassis that will "do the work" the engine is capable of performing.

I just reread the article in USA Today. I didn't catch this on the first read, but did the second time around. GM, for all its good, had a belief years ago that people would buy GM just because of the name. You know, "brand loyalty" I thought a part of the recent restructuring tore that "ideology" away and GM was going to be realistic in being competetive. Buried in this Dodge report by USA Today, is the following:

"The diesel Ram 1500 shouldn't hurt the GM trucks too much, said Jessica Caldwell, a top auto-industry analyst at Edmunds.com. "We know truck (brand) loyalty is very high." Could she really be saying that GM is still holding on to the belief that people will buy GM just because of the name? Hmmmmm
Excellent post.

Being as I was GM guy for decades the smartest move I made was trading in my 95 6.5 TD for my Dodge!

The 6.5 was a pig when it came to cooling issues, even after I modified the cooling system to a 97 cooling system it still over heated when it seen a hill! The only thing good about adding the two thermostats and the water pump was that it cooled down faster, but it still over heated like a bugger.

2014 Dodge 3500 Laramie 6.7 Cummins, Exhaust Brake.

2013 Cougar High Country 315RES
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #23
SAABDOCTOR

Thanks as larry the cable guy would say "That's funny right there i tell you what" and as good as Oldsmobile Old ladys driving slowly make other behind ireversably late everyday.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #24
Jim W

Hey guy’s I might be wrong but Dodge stop building trucks in 2009 MY, and the first Ram trucks were the 2010 model year trucks. (I am correct) They are now called Rams trucks and these are a complete new model of trucks with improvements in the entire line. The 1500 truck was the first to offer an 8 speed automatic transmission with an available Height-Adjust AIR Suspension as some of the improvements.

Now I have own all three of the big three trucks manufactures. Starting with a 1986 Chevy ¾ ton van ,than 1992 furd, then back to a 1996 Chevy and a 2001 ¾ ton Silverado 6L gas and then on to a 2008 ¾ Ram Cummins Mega Cab. Of all of them the Ram is by far the best and most reliable truck that I have owned. The furd had transmission troubles and ate up tires, the Chevy had transmission troubles and instrument panel issues, fuel gage stop working at 50K. This was common on all Government motor vehicles of that time period; the Cummins just goes down the road with simply maintenance.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #25
davidjsimons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
Hey guy’s I might be wrong but Dodge stop building trucks in 2009 MY, and the first Ram trucks were the 2010 model year trucks. (I am correct) They are now called Rams trucks and these are a complete new model of trucks with improvements in the entire line. The 1500 truck was the first to offer an 8 speed automatic transmission with an available Height-Adjust AIR Suspension as some of the improvements.

Now I have own all three of the big three trucks manufactures. Starting with a 1986 Chevy ¾ ton van ,than 1992 furd, then back to a 1996 Chevy and a 2001 ¾ ton Silverado 6L gas and then on to a 2008 ¾ Ram Cummins Mega Cab. Of all of them the Ram is by far the best and most reliable truck that I have owned. The furd had transmission troubles and ate up tires, the Chevy had transmission troubles and instrument panel issues, fuel gage stop working at 50K. This was common on all Government motor vehicles of that time period; the Cummins just goes down the road with simply maintenance.
Jim W.
My 2012 Ram has Dodge spelled out top center of the dash. At any rate, I can appreciate your post in regards to your level of vehicle satisfaction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #26
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjsimons View Post
My 2012 Ram has Dodge spelled out top center of the dash. At any rate, I can appreciate your post in regards to your level of vehicle satisfaction.

My 2008 Mega Cab does not have Dodge on any of the trim pieces or on the outside of the truck.Ram yes Dodge no.
See attached pictures.
Jim W.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 Dodge Mega Cab_1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	2408   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 Dodge Mega Cab_4.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	2409  
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #27
hankpage
Site Team

Okay ..... I really didn't think this news release would get this much of a reaction on the forum. We, as a family have been "brand loyal" for about 25 years and Mopar has treated us well.( But for that matter so did American Motors in the '60s.) That said ......... Since the so called spin off of Ram Trucks from Dodge, Ram is going to have a very tough time meeting government required mileage overall standards for their line. It may be a mistake on Ram's part to not increase payload and GCVW (in the eyes of RVers) but adding a higher fuel mileage truck to their line may fill a niche similar to the SUV "crossovers" that are so popular at this time and also keep "Big Brother" happy with more mpg. I, for one, wish them (Ram) well in this risky endeavor.

I guess it's time to get off my soap box. and decide which vehicle I will drive today. ...... The Ram, the Pacifica or one of my son's Jeeps??? As usual .. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #28
davidjsimons

Call it what you wish or what they may, I think that it is exciting news and long overdue.

Hank, life is full of tough decisions! Mine was which truck, the Dodge or the Ram, the Town & Country or which of the two Imperials. If all else fails, drive the Barracuda! Ah decisions!

Old 02-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #29
Rusty

Mmmmmmmm

cuda............................

2014 Dodge 3500 Laramie 6.7 Cummins, Exhaust Brake.

2013 Cougar High Country 315RES
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Ahhh back to that 'cuda..... I won't lie, there is a "bit of green" (call it envy) that you have it and I don't.... However, since it's not surf turquoise, doesn't have a 383, doesn't have white vinyl interior and isn't a 68, I'll still be able to sleep tonight without laying awake trying to determine how to sneak it out of your garage..... Now, if it did have those added benefits, you'd be the one laying awake at night trying to determine how to keep me out of your garage

Just kidding, of course

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #31
davidjsimons

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Ahhh back to that 'cuda..... I won't lie, there is a "bit of green" (call it envy) that you have it and I don't.... However, since it's not surf turquoise, doesn't have a 383, doesn't have white vinyl interior and isn't a 68, I'll still be able to sleep tonight without laying awake trying to determine how to sneak it out of your garage..... Now, if it did have those added benefits, you'd be the one laying awake at night trying to determine how to keep me out of your garage

Just kidding, of course
Well, if you find yourself in central Virginia, I'll toss you the keys and we can take it for a "spin". It does have a very potent 340.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #32
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjsimons View Post
Well, if you find yourself in central Virginia, I'll toss you the keys and we can take it for a "spin". It does have a very potent 340.

Leave the light on ... I can be there in a few hours.

I'm only kidding, I got that out of my system years ago. (Honest Honey)
Old 02-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #33
x96mnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Okay ..... I really didn't think this news release would get this much of a reaction on the forum. We, as a family have been "brand loyal" for about 25 years and Mopar has treated us well.( But for that matter so did American Motors in the '60s.) That said ......... Since the so called spin off of Ram Trucks from Dodge, Ram is going to have a very tough time meeting government required mileage overall standards for their line. It may be a mistake on Ram's part to not increase payload and GCVW (in the eyes of RVers) but adding a higher fuel mileage truck to their line may fill a niche similar to the SUV "crossovers" that are so popular at this time and also keep "Big Brother" happy with more mpg. I, for one, wish them (Ram) well in this risky endeavor.

I guess it's time to get off my soap box. and decide which vehicle I will drive today. ...... The Ram, the Pacifica or one of my son's Jeeps??? As usual .. JM2¢, Hank
Honestly??? Give us a chance to talk about our trucks and pages happen
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #34
zuley

I, for one am excited about the new engine going into the Goat. It does create somewhat of a dilemma for me though. I have been contemplating purchasing a new Ram this spring. I actually work for a Chrysler store so purchasing a new vehicle takes me about 5 minutes once I have made up my mind to do so. As well my wife wants to trade her GC with the 3.0 l Benz diesel in on a new diesel Jeep. It was our intention to buy the truck this summer, with a hemi, and if the new diesel looks to be worthy we would upgrade the Jeep a year from now. Going to sit tight now on the truck this year and blow the load on a Ram and a GC next year if the new diesel proves successful.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #35
davidjsimons

Quote:
Leave the light on ... I can be there in a few hours.

I'm only kidding, I got that out of my system years ago. (Honest Honey)
Hank, it will take a few years off of you and put the bounce back in your step. Best medication I've ever had.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #36
2011 keystone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
My 2008 Mega Cab does not have Dodge on any of the trim pieces or on the outside of the truck.Ram yes Dodge no.
See attached pictures.
Jim W.
After reading this I had to go double check my 2005 ram 3500 . It just has ram on it nowhere dose it say dodge hmmm
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #37
davidjsimons

My 2012 Ram by Dodge.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:15 PM   #38
LittleJoe

GMC- General Mess of Crap

In my mind the 1500 diesel is going after fuel mileage to bring up the corporate avg. I think this engine will be able to deliver a real world 25mpg US
and that will be the biggest selling point. All the guys driving around in 2500's just so they can get the diesel,but don't need the heavy truck will be all over this IF the engine proves out and the realworld mileage proves out

I know a lot of people who have watched the ecoboost quite closely and are not enthusiastic about the less than stellar advertised mileage #'s from FORD.
I think it is a great engine and followed the build closely. The part a lot of people don't get is that if/when it's making V8 power, it's using V8 fuel amounts.

I hope the new diesel proves out. The higher cost of diesel may come down where it should be and not be subsidizing the gas price to keep the majority happy(er).

It will be interesting to watch things transpire.

Mopar or NoCar........my kind of guy
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #39
hankpage
Site Team

I'm not positive but I think this engine has been around for a while. Fiat has it's hands in a lot of commercial and agricultural machinery companies with sales here and in Europe. I don't think this engine was made just for Ram and Jeep. Than again I have been known to be wrong before. I would have preferred to see an I4 Cummins but I am sure the cost would be higher than a gas engine and not be what they are targeting.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #40
zuley

Quote:
I'm not positive but I think this engine has been around for a while. Fiat has it's hands in a lot of commercial and agricultural machinery companies with sales here and in Europe. I don't think this engine was made just for Ram and Jeep. Than again I have been known to be wrong before. I would have preferred to see an I4 Cummins but I am sure the cost would be higher than a gas engine and not be what they are targeting.

It is a VM Matori diesel that Fiat hase been using for a number of years.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote