Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #41
Scott L

Air Bags

I recommend the Firestone set-up and go with the wireless setup. It costs more but worth it, not having to run wires and air lines into the cab. Also you can stand out side the truck and get it level.
Scott L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:56 AM   #42
Bob Landry

Steve,
Since you have had this truck apart inside and out, I'll ask... How do the front door panels come off? I found the two screws at the bottom, but the panel appears to be a very tight fit to the door frame and I wasn't sure where there might be more attachment points or hidden screws. I'm going to start doing audio upgrades starting with speakers. On my Tundra, all that was needed was the removal of the wing cover, two screws and the panel popped loose and lifted up. I just don't want to break anything.
I' not sure what I'm going to do with the radio. Overall, I'm pretty disappointed with the SYNC capabilities, but I do like the steering wheel controls and I don't want to lose that. SYNC has a lot of whistles and bells, but not that much that I actually will use. The ability to use voice commands while playing music from a thumb drive is really disheartening and it turns out that the only way to get the full range of utility is with an iphone or iPod. Wonder if that was coincidental.. LOL.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:54 AM   #43
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
Steve,
Since you have had this truck apart inside and out, I'll ask... How do the front door panels come off? I found the two screws at the bottom, but the panel appears to be a very tight fit to the door frame and I wasn't sure where there might be more attachment points or hidden screws. I'm going to start doing audio upgrades starting with speakers. On my Tundra, all that was needed was the removal of the wing cover, two screws and the panel popped loose and lifted up. I just don't want to break anything.
I' not sure what I'm going to do with the radio. Overall, I'm pretty disappointed with the SYNC capabilities, but I do like the steering wheel controls and I don't want to lose that. SYNC has a lot of whistles and bells, but not that much that I actually will use. The ability to use voice commands while playing music from a thumb drive is really disheartening and it turns out that the only way to get the full range of utility is with an iphone or iPod. Wonder if that was coincidental.. LOL.
Bob,
The truck that the dealer found for us didn't have the sync, but then I think that was something we told them we did not want since we had the JVC HD ready to install. It has its own aux jack for the iPhone or similar. I removed the factory aux plug and replaced it with another 12vdc outlet.

The front door panel is one of the few that I haven't pulled, yet. But, a guy just posted how to pull the back door panels on the Super Cab so I think I can tell you how to remove the front one. You've probably already figured out the first three steps, but I'll run through them quick for the next guy that wants to do this.

First, the little top cover panel pulls straight out with just a bit of prying. I got it off with my fingers real easy:

The the little cover just below the door handle has to come off. It's got two long tabs on the top edge and two small tabs on the bottom edge with visible slots for a screw driver or similar. Gently pry straight up in both slots.

With the cover off, two screw heads are exposed. They'll need a 7mm socket to remove.

Lastly, way down at the bottom of the door panel are two more screws to be pulled:

The lower half of the rear door panels come off by lifting straight up so I would expect that the front doors are the same. You might try lifting the left or right lower edge first and see if you get fairly easy movement. If you do, see if the rest of the panel will lift as easily. I went over my door real closely and I don't find any other covers or hidden screws. When it comes off, the wiring for the power windows, power mirrors, and any other accessories will still be attached so you'll have to unplug each of them.

I think that's it. Let us know if you encounter a problem and I'll see if I run into the same issue on my door.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:06 AM   #44
Bob Landry

Thanks,
I'll check mine out today. I didn't think to look for the cover under the door handle. On first inspection, it appears that just the lower half of the panel will come out, and I think that's all I need to get to the speakers.
I'm having a blast with this truck, fun to drive and even with the 6.2L gasser this thing is a towing beast.. I've installed a Bed Rug, Retrax cover, Westin step bars, Rostra backup camera, and I had clearance lights installed yesterday. I'm running out of money.. LOL Thanks for your help. I'll try to post pics of the truck.

I may try to plan a fall color trip to Glens Falls this fall. Maybe we can hook up in the Adirondack and have a cup of coffee and grill a steak. You need to get down to Texas, but not during the Summer.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 04-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #45
Bob Landry

Duplicate Post Deleted.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 04-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #46
SteveC7010

Quote:
Thanks,
I'll check mine out today. I didn't think to look for the cover under the door handle. On first inspection, it appears that just the lower half of the panel will come out, and I think that's all I need to get to the speakers.
I'm having a blast with this truck, fun to drive and even with the 6.2L gasser this thing is a towing beast.. I've installed a Bed Rug, Retrax cover, Westin step bars, Rostra backup camera, and I had clearance lights installed yesterday. I'm running out of money.. LOL Thanks for your help. I'll try to post pics of the truck.

I may try to plan a fall color trip to Glens Falls this fall. Maybe we can hook up in the Adirondack and have a cup of coffee and grill a steak. You need to get down to Texas, but not during the Summer.
I'm still getting things sorted out, too. Camera, satellite radio, GPS, EMS two-way and more are mostly done. Still have to crawl under the truck and run wires and cables for all the stuff at the back end. Right now the camera cable is just laying in the bed. There's more emergency response lighting to go in when I get time. It came with running boards and I am happy with them.

We're barely an hour from Glens Falls and there's a lot of good campgrounds in the area, too. Sounds like a plan.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #47
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
I'm still getting things sorted out, too. Camera, satellite radio, GPS, EMS two-way and more are mostly done. Still have to crawl under the truck and run wires and cables for all the stuff at the back end. Right now the camera cable is just laying in the bed. There's more emergency response lighting to go in when I get time. It came with running boards and I am happy with them.

We're barely an hour from Glens Falls and there's a lot of good campgrounds in the area, too. Sounds like a plan.
I ran the cable for my camera along the frame and tie wrapped it and encased it in loom. Under the carpet on the passenger side, there's a rubber plug that will give you access over to the kick panel and the A-post. Be careful if you pull the A-post/Handle off. There's an air bag in there that you don't want to set off.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 04-27-2013, 08:39 AM   #48
SteveC7010

Quote:
I ran the cable for my camera along the frame and tie wrapped it and encased it in loom. Under the carpet on the passenger side, there's a rubber plug that will give you access over to the kick panel and the A-post. Be careful if you pull the A-post/Handle off. There's an air bag in there that you don't want to set off.
Mine goes under the rug in the back into the rear of the big center console. I mounted the multiplexer for the camera and the brain of the two-way radio to a piece of plywood in the base of console. Some of the wiring goes out the back of the console and the rest goes out the front under the cup holders and up into the main dashboard. When I get done there will be all kinds of electronics and such in the bottom of that console.

There's another airbag that runs above the doors on each side from from the front window to the back post. I had to be sure to run the antenna coax for the two-way between the airbag and the sheet metal of the roof.

If you decide to install anything under the hood that needs to be wired into the cab, let me know. There are 4 pre-wires already in place so you don't have to mess around with trying to feed wire through the firewall. I'll give you details on them if you need them.

Did your truck come with the Auxiliary Switch package? I have the details on that, too.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #49
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
Mine goes under the rug in the back into the rear of the big center console. I mounted the multiplexer for the camera and the brain of the two-way radio to a piece of plywood in the base of console. Some of the wiring goes out the back of the console and the rest goes out the front under the cup holders and up into the main dashboard. When I get done there will be all kinds of electronics and such in the bottom of that console.

There's another airbag that runs above the doors on each side from from the front window to the back post. I had to be sure to run the antenna coax for the two-way between the airbag and the sheet metal of the roof.

If you decide to install anything under the hood that needs to be wired into the cab, let me know. There are 4 pre-wires already in place so you don't have to mess around with trying to feed wire through the firewall. I'll give you details on them if you need them.

Did your truck come with the Auxiliary Switch package? I have the details on that, too.
The only thing left is to run power from the battery inside the cab for a radio. Mine didn't come with the auxiliary switch package. I don't have as much stuff to turn on and off as you do, and do not anticipate needing them. My fog lights and clearance lights are wired into the wiring controlled by the headlight switch. The backup camera has an on/off switch on the rear view mirror. I think that covers everything I'm going to need to do.

The wood grain and the buckets are a really nice touch on yours. Mine is the plain jane XLT interior and everything is plastic with cloth seats but I still love it..

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel