Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service/Support Kudos
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
stormy2000

2 gray tanks

our 2013 keystone sprinter 300 KBS has 2 gray tanks, so I guess that means divide total gray tank cap by 2. my question on that is .. if the gray tank for the bathroom is full, does it overflow to the one in the front covering the kitchen? I have asked keystone 3 times and get nothing. guess once you buy it
your on your own : )

thank you for response.

bill & jodi
stormy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
rnkburg

Usually one is for the galley (kitchen sink) and the other is for the bathroom . The galley is usually a little smaller.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy2000 View Post
our 2013 keystone sprinter 300 KBS has 2 gray tanks, so I guess that means divide total gray tank cap by 2. my question on that is .. if the gray tank for the bathroom is full, does it overflow to the one in the front covering the kitchen? I have asked keystone 3 times and get nothing. guess once you buy it
your on your own : )

thank you for response.

bill & jodi
In my experience... the two grey tanks are not tied together.. The galley is separate from the shower but tied into the central manifold along with the black tank… and controlled by independent valves..
Old 09-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
mhs4771

The short answer: NO they are independent of each other. But depending on the exact setup you may be able to add another gate valve near the end of your dump tube. By closing the newly added valve (to prevent a disaster when you go to dump), you then open both valves for the two grays (make sure you don't open the BLACK) and IF, that's a big IF, both grays are on the same level in the belly they can equalize to give you the total gray capacity as shown on the specs.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
fla-gypsy

Independent tanks
Old 09-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
stormy2000

hmm so in the short run, we have 1/2 of our total gray in 2 sep. tanks : ( wish they would have told us this before, we'd probably gotten another TT.

bill & jodi
Old 09-28-2012, 12:25 AM   #7
SteveC7010

Quote:
hmm so in the short run, we have 1/2 of our total gray in 2 sep. tanks : ( wish they would have told us this before, we'd probably gotten another TT.

bill & jodi
I am not understanding your concern here. To the best of my knowledge, other manufacturers who use two gray tanks do pretty much the same thing. Buying a different TT won't change matters.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:35 AM   #8
Javi

Quote:

bill & jodi
It has never been a problem for us and I doubt it will create any great difficulty for you either.. Most of our camping is done without full hook ups so I have a portable dump tank and usually have to make one trip to the dump station with it in a week of camping.. your mileage may vary...
Old 09-28-2012, 02:50 AM   #9
jerseyphil

I have a Cougar 318SAB. I was told by my dealer that my total 76 gallon capacity of gray is as follows: bath gray tank is 55 gallons - galley gray tank is 21 gallons.
jerseyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #10
stormy2000

our total gray tank cap is 64gal, dealer doesn't know how big the forward and rear gray tanks are. emailed keystone 3 times no response. i was concerned if the rear gray tank is full, does it overflow to the forward? or will it back up into the shower, if we are dry camping and no hookups.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #11
SteveC7010

Quote:
our total gray tank cap is 64gal, dealer doesn't know how big the forward and rear gray tanks are. emailed keystone 3 times no response. i was concerned if the rear gray tank is full, does it overflow to the forward? or will it back up into the shower, if we are dry camping and no hookups.
OK, that's pretty normal for RV's these days.

You could get yourself a little 12vdc utility pump and some hose (to be used only for this) and then transfer the excess gray water to:
a. the other gray tank
b. the black tank
c. a waste water tote tank

Since the kitchen gray tank will fill much slower than the bathroom (provided that you are taking showers), you can move the stuff there. Same logic for the black tank. Shuffling the excess to the other tanks works best for relatively short stays, say a week or less.

If you have one of those waste water tote tanks, rather than have to drag it to the dump station at 3 MPH, put the tote up in the back of the pickup truck, pump it full, and then drive to the dump station at normal campground speed. That's my preferred method. We dry camp for two weeks or longer at a time so shuffling water from one tank to another just delays the inevitable by a day or two.

But let me emphasize the point that this is not a Keystone issue. Most TT's are plumbed this way at the factory. And it is something that you should have picked up at the PDI when the dealer's technician explained the workings of the unit to you.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #12
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
My Cougar came with a label in one of the cabinets with capacities of each tank listed by weight when full. If you have a similar label divide by 8 for approximate gallons. .... Yes, if the gray tank fills it will back up into shower. The galley tank is most likely not vented through the roof so do not overfill. The only way to determine capacities for sure is to start from empty and fill each tank from a measured source. ( 5 gal. bucket or drinking water jug) With the vin.# Keystone should be able to tell you what tanks were used from it's build sheet. A phone call to Customer Service will be more reliable then email or request a read reply when the email is opened.
Or you can do like the rest of us and experiment with usage while enjoying a weekend (or longer) of camping. The drains will gurgle long before the shower-pan starts to fill. .......... Travel safely, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #13
Murray0512

Your grey tanks are separate . When it's full not water will drain from your sink. Same goes for bath .
Murray0512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:06 AM   #14
x96mnn

Stormy,

I have a similar set up as you on my sprinter and its 64 gal total with a 32gal front and 32gal rear.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:52 AM   #15
Loui

2 grey tanks

Our 3685 has a grey tank and a galley tank each holding 38 US gals
The bathroom sink and shower are for the 1 tank
The Kitchen sink (galley) is for the other.

When we camp and are not connected to sewer lines, such as some Nascar campgrounds, we can fill our bathroom shower tank before our Kitchen, galley tank.

To save the cost of getting the trailer pumped out I added a valve on the trailer at the outlet just before the point the "stinky slinky" gets connected.
I now can open both the grey water and the galley water valves keeping that extra valve closed.
Now both Grey and Galley tanks act as a single tank.

I think the extra valve was $30

Cheers

Montana 3685FL
Chev, D/A
Loui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #16
stormy2000

gray tanks

thank you all for great responses, at the PDI, the tech's response when I had asked a couple earlier questions on other things were " I don't know, I didn't prep your TT," .. so with that in mind, when we did get to the sewage thing, he went so fast, just basically saying to pull black handle first and then the gray one second after you close the black one. guess it didn't click that 1 was forward and 1 was in the rear until much later at home.

I will see about the tote thing and the valve, that sounds like it could work, uncle up in tn wants to go dry camping and this being our first TT and maiden voyage, hate to have something go bad : )

thanks for advice again.

bill & jodi
Old 10-02-2012, 12:53 PM   #17
tomsws6

Do you have two seperate dump valves? My sprinter has one for the galley and one for the shower.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #18
stormy2000

hello,
yes we have 2 gray handles and 1 black handle, with 1 gray tank in the rear and 1 in the forward of TT. and 1 black tank.

bill & jodi
Old 10-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #19
rjsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loui View Post
Our 3685 has a grey tank and a galley tank each holding 38 US gals
The bathroom sink and shower are for the 1 tank
The Kitchen sink (galley) is for the other.

When we camp and are not connected to sewer lines, such as some Nascar campgrounds, we can fill our bathroom shower tank before our Kitchen, galley tank.

To save the cost of getting the trailer pumped out I added a valve on the trailer at the outlet just before the point the "stinky slinky" gets connected.
I now can open both the grey water and the galley water valves keeping that extra valve closed.
Now both Grey and Galley tanks act as a single tank.

I think the extra valve was $30

Cheers
+1

Best solution, don't look further

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #20
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
+1

Best solution, don't look further

Ron W.

x2. do it all the time when dry camping.

Also, when dumping, use the same valve, dump black, close the extra gate valve, keep black open, open on grey, backflushes the black, then empty black again, repeat as necessary, close black, and finish dumping grey.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote