Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
game warden

Honeywell replacement furnace blower speeds

I hope we have someone that has done this mod and could answere my question. I just installed a Honeywell TH5110D1006 (FOCUS PRO 5000) Installed this today and followed this advise,

I would just like to share my information on how you can replace your RVP Thermostat with a Digital Thermostat, giving your RV a better temperature control environment.
I started with going to my local Lowe's Store. I purchased a Honeywell non-programmable digital thermostat Part # RTH5100B. Cost $39.00. I have read other articles using Hunter Thermostats Part # 42995,but I found out they no longer make that model. Then I went to my local Radio Shack store and purchased a DPDT Submini Side Switch, Part # 275-407. There a 2 switches per pack at $3.49. Total cost of $42.49. This is Basically all the major parts you need. By the way if you are wondering why do you need this switch? It will control the High/Low Fan speed for the A/C unit, because the majority of these thermostats on the market are not equipped with the separate switch on the thermostat to control this function.
Start by removing the old factory Thermostat.
A. There should be 6 wires attached to the thermostat unit.
1. Red = 12 VDC + Power
2. Blue = 12 VDC -
3. Green = A/C Fan Speed High
4. Gray = A/C Fan Speed Low
5. White = Furnace
6. Yellow = A/C Compressor
B. Detach these wires from the old thermostat. Remember turn off the Power to the breakers to the A/C unit and the Furnace.
C Save this Thermostat in your camper incase you have any problems while you are camping,in five mins. you can reinstall the old thermostat to run the furnace and A/C.
D. Take the Honeywell Thermostat and remove the mounting plate that attached the thermostat to the wall.
E. Then take the thermostat main unit and take a small straight screw driver and separate the main body of the thermostat. 2 places on the top and 2 on the bottom. Very very easy!
F. Remove the circuit board from the main body.
G. Take the back part of the main body, and look at the Lower Left Hand Corner of the Plastic Body. That is where you will install the DPDT Mini Switch to control the fan speed. You will have lots of room.
H. I took a 5/16 Drill Bit and drilled 2 holes side by side to make room for the switch to slide into each position .Then I took a small pen knife and made the tiny adjustments to clean out the hole where the switch will mount and slide. Once you have finished this part of the installation take the switch and turn it upside down on the outside of the thermostat housing. This will allow you to Drill the 2 holes needed to mount the switch inside the plastic case. You can then drill these 2 holes. Use a 1/16 Drill Bit first! It will fit right through the holes in the switch. Then remove the switch and re drill the holes in the plastic thermostat case with a 5/64 Drill bit. You are ready to install the switch!
I. You will need to run 3 Wires from the mini switch through the back of the rear housing to the outside rear of the main body once it is put back together again. Look where the 5 metal Prongs of the circuit board go through the rear main body of the thermostat housing. I drilled another 1/4 hole in that area to run the 3 wires through to exit the rear of the housing.
J. Now for wiring of the switch. I used Red, Green and Gray Wires from the switch to the outside of the housing. This makes it less confusing when you do the final wiring for the thermostat. ALSO DO THE WIRING TO THE SWITCH BEFORE YOU INSTALL THE SWITCH!
K. The switch will have 6 small and I mean small metal clips standing straight up out of the back of the switch.
L. Take the RED wire and attach it to the center post of the switch! It doesn't matter which side of the switch just as long as it is the center post. Then Take the Green wire and attached it to one of the post on either side of the switch. And Finally attach the gray wire to the last remaining post. Once these wires are installed on the back of the switch it is ready to be installed into the Thermostat Housing
M. Install the switch into the housing with 2 of the screws supplied with the switch and run the Red,Green, and Gray wires through the 1/4 hole you drilled in the back of the housing to the outside of the housing.
N. Install the Circuit Board in the back part of the housing and Install the top part of the housing by snapping it back together! Now you are ready to wire!
The Honeywell Thermostat wiring block will have the following markings
1. R/C = Red Cooling.
2. R/H = Red Hot 12 VDC +
3. Y = Yellow A/C Compressor
4. NOT USED
5. W = White
6. G = Fan
NOTE: THE WIRING BLOCK WILL HAVE A METAL CLIP IN IT RUNNING FROM R/C TO R. LEAVE THIS CLIP IN! DO NOT REMOVE ! NOW YOUR READY TO WIRE THE THERMOSTAT!
O. Take the wiring that you disconnected from the old thermostat and wire as follows:

1. Red wire from old thermostat to the : R side of the new thermostat
2. Yellow wire from old thermostat to the : Y side of the new thermostat
3. NO WIRING AT ALL TO THE NOT USED SIDE OF THE NEW THERMOSTAT !
4. White wire from old thermostat to the : W side of the new thermostat
5. Red wire you installed on the DPDT switch to the : G side of the new thermostat
6. Connect the Green wire from the old thermostat to the Green wire from the DPDT switch. Connect them together and use a small wire nut.
7. Connect the Gray from the old thermostat to the Gray wire you installed from the DPDT switch. Connect them together and use a small wire nut.
8. The Blue wire from the old thermostat should be the only wire you have left over not attached to anything. Tape end of wire up so it does not short out to anything and you are finished. This wire is used for a delay circuit for the A/C compressor,but this delay is built into the new thermostat!
P. You are Finished! Install the Thermostat housing to the mounting plate and your ready to go! DO NOT FORGET TO TURN THE POWER BACK ON !!!!

I know this seams like allot of work but from the time I started this Install it only took a Hour and a Half. It is really easy! Now install the 2 "AAA" Batteries in the thermostat and your ready to go. REMEMBER THIS THERMOSTAT WILL NOT FUNCTION OR LET THE A/C OR HEAT OPERATE WITH MISSING OR DEAD BATTERIES!!!!
Test Run all the furnace and A/C Functions. Remember when you turn the A/C on the Thermostat will have a Delay built in. It doesn't even last 1 min. SO DON'T PANIC!
Test run the Fan side of the thermostat. Change the Fan selector side of the thermostat from auto to ON. The fan should run then you can change the fan speed using the slide switch you installed.
I also found out that most RV heating and cooling systems are wired to the thermostat pretty much the same. This is the second one I have done. And the wiring set ups are the same.
I also found A Temperature difference of + or - 2 Degrees either way. This is a lot better than the old thermostat!
I hope this information helps someone out there. It is a much more efficient and modern way to make you RV like a Home Away from Home. And If I can do this anyone can do it!

My problem is the furnace does NOT seem to change fan speeds when toggling the switch. I can`t chect the A/C yet but when I turn the t/stat fan speed from "auto" to "on" the roof ducts started to blow air and when I toggle the switch it seems to make air flow low and high.But for what ever reason I can not make the furnace go from HIGH to LOW.....HELP
game warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
f6bits

I don’t think the furnace goes Hi/Low. I think it’s one speed. Even your instructions near the top say the DPDT switch is for the A/C.

By the way, I’ve done this mod and opted not to use the switch just to be content with Hi speed only. As I think about this, I’ve looked at the A/C schematics and saw the High and Low speed circuits. When you consider how the thermostat is wired, the “Fan” feature is only for the A/C. If Fan is ON, the ceiling fan (A/C) blows full time. For Auto, it only blows when the A/C is on. The furnace is just one dumb wire. On or Off. Too cold? It turns ON. Warm enough? It turns OFF. The furnace takes care of the details.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
game warden

Thanks for the info ..now that I think about it I think your right about the furnace fan.
game warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:45 AM   #4
campingcpl

I did this same mod last year but used the Hunter thermostat and I used a different micro toggle which only required drilling one small hole and solidering one wire to the circuit board. It seemed this installation was a lot of over kill compared to the mod I did. But love the ability to change fan speeds on the A/C. And the heater only has one fan speed. It's just the A/C that has two fan speeds.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:19 PM   #5
ravencr

If I were to wire this up without the hi/lo switch, how would I do the wiring differently? And, will it run on high only then?

Chris
ravencr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 02:41 AM   #6
byrdr1

I find this to be a good write for this mod. In my TT I did the same without the toggle switch. Just ran the AC on high speed fan. Worked like a charm. I was looking for this type write the other day for someone on here asking. This will help them out.
Thanks
randy
PS i think RVnet has this same write up under the TT forum. Les one of the moderators did it and it was a sticky for several years.

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:12 AM   #7
ravencr

I ended up just buying Dometics higher end comfort control center ii so it would work properly without modifications.

Chris
ravencr is offline   Reply With Quote