Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2020, 07:19 PM   #21
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty46 View Post
WE pull a overloaded 35 foot Raptor Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler with our 2007 2500 Ram Cummins Diesel with Air Ride System added by me. We have had full deletes done along with intake revisions and exhaust corrections. We see 14.7 pulling the rig and around 30 mpg empty. No problems to date after 100k miles. The labels are BS frankly.

Name:   BS Meter.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  14.2 KB
Yet another jumps in!!!
To pull an overloaded toyhauler with a 2500 plus stating all is ok & the manufacturer weight labels mean nothing then claim 14.7 mpg, you'll notice the meter is pegged.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:24 PM   #22
Frosty46

Stepping in crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Frosty, I’m calling BS on your post. Most here would be more polite, but not get their point across.
Might I ask what you’re suggesting the OP should do?
In reply to all the adverse posts about my post------I have owned my Raptor since 2010. We have traveled all over this nation with this "BS" rig of ours. When I purchased our truck tower I tried mightily to find the true answers about towing capacities finding an amazing degree of confusion from all sides. Our rig gets fantastic mileage, rides very safe even at high speeds, rides perfectly level, in other words it does the job well.

So to all those "I know betters" go piss off as I too am not so polite with asshats........of any variety.
Frosty46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:45 PM   #23
McRod

"5th Wheeler"

Hehe. ��
Old 10-26-2020, 09:55 PM   #24
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Danny, I expect criticism from someone who admittedly towed overweight. That won't stop me from bring concerned or asking the question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Attachment 30508
Yet another jumps in!!!
To pull an overloaded toyhauler with a 2500 plus stating all is ok & the manufacturer weight labels mean nothing then claim 14.7 mpg, you'll notice the meter is pegged.
I will state at the beginning of this post I don't encourage others to tow over listed weights.

Well yes, I admit to towing 5er overweight, which gives me a point of view that those of you that haven't done it don't have and that is the experience.

The experience is not like towing a 35' TT with an F150 at 10,000#, tail wagging the dog. I will also admit that when we went to buy/pickup the Copper Canyon, I knew it would put us a bit over GVWR. My plan was to hook it up before signing the paper, if the truck squatted too much I was going to cancel the deal. Only dropped about 1" with the dry pin. Well no issues on the 250 mile drive home. In the last year I towed out 5er with the 2001 Dodge Ram 2500, never a white knuckle event, not even an uncomfortable event, even at 1,700# over GVWR, still within the 6,084# axle rating, and tires rated at 3,415# ea.

What I have stated above is part of the reason we see many towing big 5er with both 250/2500's and 350/3500 SRW trucks, even a 250/2500 towing/carrying a 17,000# 5er will likely tow fine.

This is how RV and Truck salespeople get away with get away with the "sure this truck will tow anything on the lot!"

Diesel 250/2500's are the worst, a ton of power, an ounce of payload! Now there are those that tow overweight and know it and don't let it concern them, maybe they keep an eye on their weight, and some don't.

Then there are those that don't have a clue, it seems fine so they don't care and will never weigh.

In our case I started to get concerned with getting in an accident and some hungry lawyer coming after us for being over listed weights.
We chose to go DRW for capacity and stability. In addition we have the the HO, Aisin, 3.73 combination with towing capacity of 25,024#. We are towing just shy of 13,000#, about half of our capacity. I will say that compared to the 2001 5.9 manual 5 speed and 3.55's, I need to check the mirrors to be sure the 5er is back there. While the DRW is more stable than the 2500, I never felt unstable in the 2500.

I am amazed at those that want a big 5er, but don't want a DRW TV, "It is too Big", well out DRW is our daily driver, no not as maneuverable as a Smart Car, we have very few issues, have done parking garages and some drive throughs.

I will say while towing overweight I never felt uncomfortable, towing with the 2016 3500 DRW is way more comfortable and relaxing.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:04 AM   #25
Fuzion315

I have to agree with rhagfo. Having pulled 5th wheelers and Toy Haulers with F250s (as well as a Chevy 2500 SRW) and F350 SRW trucks and having switched to a Ram 3500 DRW in 2018 to pull our fully loaded 315 Fuzion, there is a world of difference. You are longer influenced by passing 18 wheelers, it is easier to stop and go and is just plain more comfortable towing. After doing over 12,500 miles in the last couple of years, I would never go back to a SRW for towing a big trailer.
Fuzion315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:27 PM   #26
Stickman

Quote:
WE pull a overloaded 35 foot Raptor Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler with our 2007 2500 Ram Cummins Diesel with Air Ride System added by me. We have had full deletes done along with intake revisions and exhaust corrections. We see 14.7 pulling the rig and around 30 mpg empty. No problems to date after 100k miles. The labels are BS frankly.
Good lord, where to begin...
At the start I thought your 1st post was an attempt at satire, then quickly realized your one of those "do as I damn well please" types, regardless of possible detrimental effects to anyone or anything.
The OP was responded to with rightful concerns and sound advice based on numbers & safety. You offered neither. Only a reply mostly based in conjecture & falsehood. That fully loaded trailer of the OP's will have too much pin weight for a 3/4 ton diesel chassis. We all know it (including you),and now the OP knows it, regardless of the piss-poor advice insinuated in your post.
Then in your 2nd post, instead of trying to validate your poor decision making (not possible) in regards to towing overloaded, like a petulant child, you get angry and call others names for pointing out the fallacies in your 1st post.
I'm not going to get into the MPG numbers, although you no doubt attribute those magical numbers to the 'mods'. In regards to those mods all I can say is...
woohoo. Here's another one preaching the hillbilly gospel (ignorance) of the wonders of making your modified (illegally) diesel pump more than is necessary of that harmless (known human carcinogen) old soot into the environment for all to appreciate.
Cheese & Rice Almighty! I wish all you delete proponents would remove all sound deadening materials from your cabs, disable your windows from rolling down, and reroute your obnoxiously loud, soot caked tailpipe up to the cab fresh air intake. Than you could more easily relish in the good old "stick it to the man (your fellow travelers), rugged individualism" of your 'sweet ride' that is now foisting more pollutants on the rest of us than a dozen modern class 8 tractors combined.
Congrats.
Stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:58 AM   #27
rhagfo

Quote:
Well don't thump that chest too hard.
Your TH has a GVWR of 14,390 so overloaded to what 15,000#? You might get 12 mpg towing that, but not 14.5 unless going down hill. 30 mpg empty no way, our 2001 with 3.55s and a lightly chipped 5.9 topped out at about 22 mpg.
As to the deleting, that is a violation of federal law and my lungs! I have never seen the need, drive it right and you shouldn't have issues.
You likley leave a nice cloud of black smoke every time you step on it. Just one more reason for tree huggers to hate diesels, even the clean ones.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:28 AM   #28
flybouy
Site Team

I've thought many times that if I were some new "young buck" just starting at the EPA I'd be cruising these type forums (as well as the truck forums) looking for this type post to "make my mark" and maybe get a promotion.

Someone bragging about deleting the EPA controls on line would be "low hanging fruit".
Then send those lists over to DOT that include the "towing overweight" bragging.

I think it's just a matter of time.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:00 AM   #29
Javi

Quote:
In reply to all the adverse posts about my post------I have owned my Raptor since 2010. We have traveled all over this nation with this "BS" rig of ours. When I purchased our truck tower I tried mightily to find the true answers about towing capacities finding an amazing degree of confusion from all sides. Our rig gets fantastic mileage, rides very safe even at high speeds, rides perfectly level, in other words it does the job well.

So to all those "I know betters" go piss off as I too am not so polite with asshats........of any variety.
I was actually going to resist replying to this crap but I got a couple of minutes between meetings..

The folks on this forum are here to help folks, who like you don't know crap about the laws concerning load limits for different vehicles and trailers or how to muddle through all the advertising BS surrounding trucks today.

We, and I include myself in that; are patient almost to a fault with those who are actually trying to understand. But many of us have had to learn the hard way that there are some who simply are looking for validation for stupid and careless actions that they have taken. It really doesn't matter that you might well have gotten away with being overloaded, breaking several laws along the way and going so far as to brag about it..

This forum is not here to argue with law breakers, braggarts or trolls.. and we certainly aren't here to allow misinformation to flourish unchecked..
Old 10-28-2020, 07:38 AM   #30
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I was actually going to resist replying to this crap but I got a couple of minutes between meetings..

The folks on this forum are here to help folks, who like you don't know crap about the laws concerning load limits for different vehicles and trailers or how to muddle through all the advertising BS surrounding trucks today.

We, and I include myself in that; are patient almost to a fault with those who are actually trying to understand. But many of us have had to learn the hard way that there are some who simply are looking for validation for stupid and careless actions that they have taken. It really doesn't matter that you might well have gotten away with being overloaded, breaking several laws along the way and going so far as to brag about it..

This forum is not here to argue with law breakers, braggarts or trolls.. and we certainly aren't here to allow misinformation to flourish unchecked..

Yeah, well I get 38 mpg towing and 53 mpg when cruising without the ol' 5ver in tow. How's that? Anyone want to one up me? I can come up with even bigger mpg numbers if I have to!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:48 AM   #31
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Yeah, well I get 38 mpg towing and 53 mpg when cruising without the ol' 5ver in tow. How's that? Anyone want to one up me? I can come up with even bigger mpg numbers if I have to!
Is that with the 5,000 hp upgrade?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel