Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2011, 04:41 AM   #1
Smitty

Auxillary gas line with quick connect

Got another one going on. I have an auxillary propane gas line that runs from the drivers side gas tank and then runs exposed across the front of the trailer which sticks out on the passenger side with a gate valve and quick connect fitting. I purchased two ready made hoses from two different places (the last one costing over $50.00) with a quick connect fitting on one end with the other end having the same size fitting as the small disposable propane tanks have, which then goes into your appliance. What happens is that I get very low pressure from it. I've tried everything to no avail. What I hadn't done is open the driver's side propane tank valve. I always leave that one closed to keep it more or less as a spare. A friend of mine has the exact same fifth wheel as mine which he purchased late last fall of which he put in storage within weeks after he got it so he never got to make his maiden voyage until last weekend. I told him about the gas line and he spoke with the RV Service Mgr at our local Keystone dealer and he told him the driver's side propane tank needs to be open because the piping on this gas line is connected to that tank which is piped in before the low pressure regulator. Makes sense - I never open that tank. He bought the hose, made his maiden voyage last weekend and called me last night and has the same exact problem that I've had. Very very low pressure on his appliance. He said he could hardly see the flame. This one has us both stumpped. Any one else with this problem? Forgot to mention that the fitting that goes into the appliance has a valve in it similar to a valve in a tire. The type you have to push to make the air come out. When you open the gate valve, and push on the valve gas seems to come out but I cannot tell if it's really the proper amount to make a stove burn right or not, all I know is that I've tried 3 different things on the end of this hose and none work. I even tried a propane torch (one that you screw onto one of those disposable tanks) and a low low flame just comes out of it, one you can hardly see.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:53 AM   #2
GMcKenzie

Most of these lines are low pressure and you need a bbq/stove set up for it. My understanding is they won't work with a standard canister bbq/stove.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:14 AM   #3
THedges

Make sure that the appliance you are using doesn't have a regulator. You are regulating already at the tanks. I had the same problem, I bought a BBQ made for a quick connect (no regulator) and problem solved.
THedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:36 AM   #4
jq1031

THedges is correct. Your propane has already gone through a regulator that reduces the pressure. If the regulator is removed from the appliance you want to use that should solve the problem.
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:56 AM   #5
Smitty

Sounds like the Service Manager is basically wrong in telling us that with the left tank on, it by passes the regulator. Where do you find grills without regulators? I have a weber that takes the small gas canistors.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp grill.bmp (18.8 KB, 227 views)
Old 06-02-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
jq1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Sounds like the Service Manager is basically wrong in telling us that with the left tank on, it by passes the regulator. Where do you find grills without regulators? I have a weber that takes the small gas canistors.
My last grill was a weber Q. I took off the regulator & it worked fine. The fitting that the regulator screws onto is 1/8". Usually the hose is 1/4". Some ACE hardware stores have the supplies to make the connection. My new grill is the Olympian 5500 stainless. It come with the hose attachment quick connect & without a regulator.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #7
THedges

I use the grill that C.W. sells that is made for that purpose. It's nice because it hangs on the side of my TT.
THedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:14 PM   #8
jq1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by THedges View Post
I use the grill that C.W. sells that is made for that purpose. It's nice because it hangs on the side of my TT.
The Olympian also sold at CW does the same. However, I did not purchase the bracket to attach it to the TT, but I have a 10ft hose & put it on the table.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:51 PM   #9
Bob Landry

This topic has come up several times on several Forums, and it's just not that hard to do.

I have an Outback but, even on a fiver, I can't imagine that KS would plumb a LP system any way but with two tanks feeding a regulator which gives you one low pressure output that goes to the kitchen, furnace and outdoor Quick Connect. If I'm wrong someone chime in. The only difference between a TT and a fiver would be the location of the bottles, but the function would still be the same. Propane pressure in the line does not change with length. The auto changeover would still work the same.

I use a Weber baby Q. The regulator had 1/4" NPT female threads. A 1/4" QC male part also has the same threads, so if you remove the regulator, the QC male part screws right into the control assy on the grill. You are likely to only run across two sizes of QCs on trailers, 1/4" and 3/8" so selection becomes very easy. KS uses 1/4" QC on their outside kitchens. For those who are interested, Fairview makes the LP fittings KS uses and they can be found all over the Internet. My gas hose and grill was already set up for 1/4" connections. My other trailer had a 3/8" Outdoor QC that I installed, so all I had to do was nuy a 1/4" male Fairview fitting and adapt it to my propane hose. You may have to usea fitting or two to adapt the hose to the trailer QC, but it's not that big a deal.

You can run out and spend big $$$ on a gas grill that does not have it's self-contained regulator, but the $3 male fitting is much cheaper. Just remember propane can only be regulated once, and that's when it comes out of the tank. After that EVERYTHING on your trailer is going to be low pressure.

We're going out 1for a weekend and my intention is to take photos of everything I've done to the trailer so far. I'll try to post photos of my grill and hose setup. It's really simple once you see one.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote