Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2017, 09:02 AM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Travel and banking

I was reading a post from Chuckster57 in the Western Trip thread and thought I'd post a comment here.

Chuckster related a situation where his wife was traveling and using her bank card. The charges were shown as out of area and they suspended the card until she verified the charges with the bank.

Most of the folks on here travel and have all of this worked out but just thought I would share some comments made to me about using your personal bank card.

I used to use my bank acct. debit card when traveling, and as Chuckster encountered, we always had to tell them when and where we were going so charges wouldn't get refused. On my first trip to FL several years ago I knew
we would be spending a lot of money because the kids/grandkids had just moved there, I was taking them a boat, they were buying a new house etc. I went to the bank and visited with the bank president who was a friend. I told him I wanted my bank acct. set for unlimited spending instead of the $500 per day withdrawal limit. They had previously set it at $1k per day for us when we left but I thought I might exceed that on this trip.

When I told him where I was going, FL, he just said "no, you don't want to do that". He explained that FL had the highest rate of bank card theft in the country (skimming? the card #s). He advised that I use a credit card instead. If someone got the card number not only was I protected but it wasn't a straight withdrawal from my acct. which could possibly be drained while I fought to get the money back. He advised just using the credit card for travel and I carry my debit card just because. I've not used it in several years except to get cash from our bank ATM from time to time.

Just a thought that the previous post jogged in my memory. I'm sure most have all of that worked out for their personal situations but just something I thought I would throw out.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 03:07 PM   #2
cpaulsen

We have never had a problem with our AM card thru Chase.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 03:17 PM   #3
the sodfather

I use a Cabela's CC all the time. Then I pay it off every month. My points equal free Cabela's money.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:57 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sodfather View Post
I use a Cabela's CC all the time. Then I pay it off every month. My points equal free Cabela's money.

I used to use Cabela's, then went to AE then to Citi Hilton Honors which gives me free points for hotels which we use all the time. I use my AE points for gift cards; just redeemed $400 for material purchases at Home Depot.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:13 PM   #5
BuxCamper

I pull on the card reader head to see if it is a fake attachment. I also cover the keypad with my freehand while entering a PIN.

-- Mark

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:00 PM   #6
the sodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I used to use Cabela's, then went to AE then to Citi Hilton Honors which gives me free points for hotels which we use all the time. I use my AE points for gift cards; just redeemed $400 for material purchases at Home Depot.
Funny. My Cabelas's points go to gun money and my wife's CC point go to airline miles. I get the benefit of both!. Not so much for her...
Old 04-22-2017, 07:39 PM   #7
theeyres

I have heard the OP's advice before and think it is very good advice. Use a Credit Card, not Debit Card. It's weird because all we were hearing was use a DC...it's just like cash. Now we are hearing that the DC's can get ripped off and there is no recourse because they are cash out of the account and it's gone. Use a CC and there is no cash out of your account until you pay it off! Guess the "ol" way was good...I'm back to the CC.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:10 PM   #8
vampress_me

I have to second Sourdough's advice. A few years ago I used my debit card for all purchases in store. CC was used only for online purchases. We travel fairly often around and all I had heard was to not use the debit card in FL because of problems. That was fine. Well, seems as how my debit card number was stolen (not the card, still had that in my purse). They were smart enough to use it over a weekend while the bank was closed. And in England. I had never been to England. And used it to the tune of $2500 directly out of our checking account. It was mainly $100-$200 purchases at a time. Monday morning the bank shut down my card and never told me. I called the bank after trying to use it (that was a little embarrassing) to find out what happened. I got to see the printout of purchases in England (a few of them were at a place called Brazzerie, I was positive it was a woman because they were at a lingerie store...nope, expensive restaurant!). Also found out they tried to buy a $3000 car on the debit card. Thank goodness that didn't go through!

Long story short, our money did get refunded by the bank, it just took about 2 weeks. And I have never used my debit card again except at the bank's ATM if I need cash. CC is all that gets used for buying anything in this house.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:06 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Other "perks" for credit card use are "refundability" and "warranty". Not only do you have the benefit of a third party handling your "cash reserve", you also have someone else between you and the retailer if something goes wrong with the product purchased. Many times a credit card company will go to bat for you if there's a problem with the purchase. Also, many CC companies offer an extended warranty on items purchased with their card. American Express, for example, offers to double the warranty on anything purchased with the card. Many MasterCard and Visa cards have the same feature (usually for free) so check the account information.

That brings up a question: I wonder if buying a Keystone trailer with a credit card would provide a 2 year warranty ??? Hmmmmm

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:46 AM   #10
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I was reading a post from Chuckster57 in the Western Trip thread and thought I'd post a comment here.

Chuckster related a situation where his wife was traveling and using her bank card. The charges were shown as out of area and they suspended the card until she verified the charges with the bank.

Most of the folks on here travel and have all of this worked out but just thought I would share some comments made to me about using your personal bank card.

I used to use my bank acct. debit card when traveling, and as Chuckster encountered, we always had to tell them when and where we were going so charges wouldn't get refused. On my first trip to FL several years ago I knew

we would be spending a lot of money because the kids/grandkids had just moved there, I was taking them a boat, they were buying a new house etc. I went to the bank and visited with the bank president who was a friend. I told him I wanted my bank acct. set for unlimited spending instead of the $500 per day withdrawal limit. They had previously set it at $1k per day for us when we left but I thought I might exceed that on this trip.

When I told him where I was going, FL, he just said "no, you don't want to do that". He explained that FL had the highest rate of bank card theft in the country (skimming? the card #s). He advised that I use a credit card instead. If someone got the card number not only was I protected but it wasn't a straight withdrawal from my acct. which could possibly be drained while I fought to get the money back. He advised just using the credit card for travel and I carry my debit card just because. I've not used it in several years except to get cash from our bank ATM from time to time.

Just a thought that the previous post jogged in my memory. I'm sure most have all of that worked out for their personal situations but just something I thought I would throw out.

Yup.

I have seen many heated discussions on CC vs debit card use. Most debit card users just don't understand the headaches and risks involved with debit card usage. Your banker explained it perfectly.

Yes, you are protected when using your debit card, however money is actually gone from your account until the matter is straightened out. During that time, checks can bounce, withdrawals/transfers can fail, etc. With a CC, you simply do not pay the bill.

I have never understood the reluctance to use CCs by some folks... assuming they can get a CC.

In addition, there are huge perks to using CCs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:07 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Drawback of using CC is the temptation to just make a payment, and not the entire balance. Easy to get yourself in trouble.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:24 PM   #12
bitten

For forty years we have been paying the CCs in full every month. Now it's automatic withdrawal. Just get in the habit. Lots of perks.
bitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:50 PM   #13
Desert185

Cash back, no annual fee credit card and pay in full each month. When going to another country check the bank's foreign transaction fee and shop around if you have to. I use USAA when in another country.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:43 PM   #14
BuxCamper

And if there is that something special you do want to pay off over time the CC will likely off you a real good deal.

-- Mark

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote