Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
jje1960

Decide for yourself

Last September, stopped at a place called "Yellow Lantern" in Cortland, Upstate New York. Pulled in pretty late, like 1930 or so. No one around (out of season) and read the "sticky's" on the office door. Instructions were to park in any of which-ever, and come by later. I pulled into the less soggy of the spot's that had the clear view of Direct TV, and settled in. Next morning, I again went up to the office, did my best to figure out what to do (pay someone for the spot) and did not have much luck. I had been on the internet and viewed the price per/night, so stuck the cash in a hole that was near the door. When I arrived at Oswego, I called their number, stated I was the guy that stayed in they're place the night before and had stuck cash in the hole. Immediately the other party stated (actually snapped back) that it was "not enough" and that the prices on the internet were not current, not up 2 date. I promised to send them the difference, which I did when I got back to WV. Couple of things seem "odd" to me with this, one, it was out of season, and they had an honest person that left them $, two because they were out of season, they were 'so concerned' that I did not leave enough. I did plug into the electric for a few hours, however did not touch their sewer nor water. Again, in all fairness, the lady on the phone did state that someone knocked on the door that evening (I was out like a light by 2100) but I did not hear them. Now, my take.... this was out of season, was a completely wet place, I did not use anything but electric and for crying out loud tried to pay them..... Anyway... maybe they have had problems with people in the past not paying and are a bit touchy.... However, I won't stop there again.... in my opinion not to smart on their side... they have lost more than they have gained.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Handysam

As Jimini Cricket would say, "Let your conscious be your guide". Personally I would pay the difference, and make the point "I will not be coming back". We had a similar story, well maybe its not that similar, anyway, we were at a local county park back in February, and on most Sunday's we take our time packing up and getting out, usually past the "check out time" and never had a problem, especially in February. There were three other campers there with over 100 sites, and one of the campers were our friends who were camped next to us. Just as we were shutting down and ready to hitch up, a new camper pulled in and began setting up close to us and we got to chatting with them. at this point we were 2 hours past check out time. After chatting for about another two hours, a ranger showed up and demanded payment for Sunday night from us. We explained that there is no one else here the others had pulled out and it was just us three. I went on to explain that this new couple that pulled in were here from Canada and were here to get some warranty work done on there Carriage Cameo at our local dealer. Anyway the ranger said "rules are rules and your 4 hours past check out time". I put my hands up and looked around and back to the ranger and said O.K. We paid for the night and went on our way. My DW sent an e-mail on Monday to their office and we have yet to get a response. I never did understand why so many people get up at the crack of dawn and leave so early on Sundays. But, maybe they have things they have to do. "Rules are Rules" Happy Camping, Sam
Old 04-17-2011, 12:11 AM   #3
Dave and Lynn

Sam, I am with you, I have never understood why people get up and leave so early. We have friends that have camped with us in the past. They come out to our RV after it is all set up. They enjoy the food we cook, then go to sleep in our unit. When Sunday rolls around, they are out of there like lightening. Haven't they ever heard of the common courtesy to help set up camp and then break it down???

I tell you what, if I went to their house and sat on my rear all day and evening and then didn't offer to clean up, it would be a whole different story, LOL.

JJ, I think you just happened to run into a person who is mad at life or some other person, and took it out on you. Thanks for being the stand up person that you were, going the extra mile to make sure they were paid a reasonable amount. It is their own fault if their web site is not up to date.

Lynn
2 Fantastic Grandsons
2 Dogs, 2 Cats

2008 Ford F450 DRW
BMW Companion Hitch
2011 Keystone Alpine 3555RL

Dave and Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote