Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2015, 09:42 AM   #1
fatcatzzz

Thumbs down No heat pump for Montana's?

Went to the local Montana dealer yesterday to look at the new models. While talking with the salesman, I happen to mention that the idea of having a heat pump might be a good option for me. I was told Montana does not have a option for a HP. I told the salesman that Alpine (both Keystone Products) has a HP as standard feature. (long pause) He look at me like I was stupid. I asked if he could call his dealer Rep to check. He did, and was told No heat pump for Montana. Dealer says it can be added for more $$$. Question is WHY won't keystone give this option? Seems to me, since the heat pump is part of AC unit it would be easy to just swap out existing AC unit. Am I missing something?

fatcatzzz
2014 Ram 3500 HD DRW
07' Montana 3400RL
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:56 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It may have something to do with the "quiet cool" air conditioning ductwork? The installed ducting system may not lend itself to both heating and cooling systems?

Sometimes it's not just a "simple swap" of components, but rather consideration for what works best, what doesn't provide as much efficiency, what people prefer and what markets best.

You can't buy a purple F350, not because it's "just a simple swap of colors" but because it's not within the marketing strategy at Ford to offer that option. Without knowing Keystone's "marketing strategy" I don't think you'll find an "easy answer" to your question.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:52 AM   #3
KanTC

fatcatzzz,

Welcome to the forum.

To piggyback John's reply... I doubt that anyone here can answer "Why/Why not" - I don't think any of our members work for Keystone. I can tell you that, in addition to the Alpine line,
the Big Sky (by Montana) also offers the optional dual a/c system with heat pump, in the Big Sky Premium Package. Maybe that's part of their "marketing strategy"?

Good luck with your decision,
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:18 AM   #4
ChuckS

I have a 2014 Alpine and I wasn't sure we'd really use the heat pump. I was wrong and do love how it warms things up. A nice option for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:08 AM   #5
fatcatzzz

Thanks for the reply, JRIJH, KanTC

You are most likely right about the "marketing strategy" or the lack there of. Montana is listed as one of the three Luxury fifth wheel, (guess you can argue which is 1,2,3) but I can't seem to wrap my head around why they offer HP in two and not all three at least as an option.

ChuckS, I have slept in a fifth wheel with a heat pump and as long as the
temps were moderate at night it was very comfortable. Automaticly switch to the furnace when temps drop below around 40 deg. Also
saves on propane $$.

fatcatzzz
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:41 AM   #6
howard

Heat pump

Our Alpine only has the HP in the LR. The BR has a 13,000 btu AC unit. I really like the HP. I too was disapointed that the 2015 Montana does not have a heat pump as an option. The HP runs "some of the time" on my Honda 3K generator, but often kicks out on overload. The BR AC unit runs fine with the generator. The dealer would prefer to deal with sells Montana, not Alpine.
2006 Woodland Park
Had
2008 Montana
2005 Outback
2000 Lance + others
howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:24 PM   #7
ChuckS

I use two Honda 2000s and run with the parallel kit.. This will run the main AC or heat pump with no problems. The HP blows hot air thru all vents including the bedroom. Love it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:35 PM   #8
bsmith0404

To give a little insight on the why/why not, it's not Keystone, it's Montana. Yes both Montana and Alpine are made by Keystone, but each is a separate line with it's own set of design teams/management. Compare it to Chevrolet and Cadillac, both made by GM, but completely different design/management teams. For some reason the Montana teams have decided not to add the heat pumps, where Alpine has.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote