Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2014, 05:42 AM   #1
stoomey123

New member with a question

We are new to the group and to RVing. We live in Maine and want to be able to get away from the Maine winters for a month or two (especially after this years winter.) We just bought a Premier 26 RBPR and plan to pick it up in a couple of weeks. Our TV is a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 5.7 Hemi and 7200# towing capacity.
The dealer tells us we have plenty of capacity, but I have heard differently.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Steve
stoomey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:44 AM   #2
Kristi

What is the payload on your Cherokee vs tongue weight of the trailer?

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:56 AM   #3
Hercules1978

Most dealers lie. Check the tire and loading sticker on the drivers door jamb. This will tell you how much payload you can safely tack on and only includes a 150# driver and the vehicle "as delivered" from the factory.

The payload includes all passengers, gear, weight distribution hitch, tongue weight...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Hercules1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #4
Altarocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoomey123 View Post
We are new to the group and to RVing. We live in Maine and want to be able to get away from the Maine winters for a month or two (especially after this years winter.) We just bought a Premier 26 RBPR and plan to pick it up in a couple of weeks. Our TV is a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 5.7 Hemi and 7200# towing capacity.
Steve
I'm not familiar with your model, but I pull a Summerland 2670 with a 2009 Jeep Commander. Same Hemi and gross rating. The TT is just under 29 feet and dry weight just over 5800 lbs.

[URL]http://www.rvguide.com/specs/keystone/travel-trailer/2012/summerland/2670bhgs.html[/URL ]

Other than looking quite ridiculous due to the size discrepancy it tows pretty well.

With the short wheelbase you have to be careful to not over correct. Plenty of power. Mirror visibility is stretched to the limit with the add on mirrors I bought, but it gets it done.

Stabilizing hitch is a must. If I had my choice I'd go for a larger TV, but I bought the Jeep because we had au pairs from Germany and they were intimidated by even the size of the Jeep. On the plus side the short TV allows us to park on many sites where a longer vehicle wouldn't fit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Altarocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #5
chartrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoomey123 View Post
Steve
Stoomey,
I have the Dodge Durango, built in the same factory on the same chassis as your Jeep. I have the same engine and towing capacity. My trailer is the Premier 22rbpr, and my acceleration is lacking on the freeway entry ramps. I had the Equalize 4point weight dist hitch, but with the Durango's short wheel base, even the 22 foot trailer was very noticeable back there. It's only going to be worse for you I think with a longer and heavier trailer. I think your Jeep will pull it, but I don't think you will be comfortable doing it. I upgraded to the P3 hitch, I recommend that you consider it as well. It will make towing a much more comfortable experience for you. My guess is that by this time next year you will either have a truck, or a Propride hitch.

This is just my humble opinion guys, don't start beating me up now...<grin>....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:32 PM   #6
zuley

I have an '08 Grand Cherokee with the 3.0L Benz engine. We thought we were goood to go towing our new 23RB with the Jeep using a Centreline hitch. All the numbers worked. Towed twice with it with power to spare. Second trip out we took an unexpected side wind. There was no sway whatsoever but the Jeep and trailer crossed the centre line as one. I ordered a new truck the next day. It was the short wheel base of the Jeep I have since learned that caused the grief. There is a formula, which someone hopefully will post, to calculate max length of trailer based on your wheel base. Myself, I would not recommend this TV/ trailer combination. My thoughts only.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:03 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

The formula is pretty simple: Allow up to a 20' trailer for the first 110 inches of wheelbase, then 1 foot of trailer for every 4" of wheelbase.

So:

110" 20'
114" 21'
118" 22'
122" 23' and so on

But this is only ONE of many considerations. Max towing capacity, payload, GVW, GCWR, max axle weight, tire type/weight rating all are just as important in considering if it's within the capabilities. If one is out, then all the rest don't really matter.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:14 PM   #8
Shogunles

Also remember you need to account for passenger weight and gear weight in the vehicle and TT. You generally leave a cushion between the tow and tongue weights to account for this.

To answer your question, will it tow your TT, yes it will. However, will it tow adequately remains to be seen. As far as acceleration and maintaining speed on the highway. Also the terrain you will be towing in. Sure bet you will have to down shift quit often. Good Luck, and have fun!
Old 04-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #9
rschad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The formula is pretty simple: Allow up to a 20' trailer for the first 110 inches of wheelbase, then 1 foot of trailer for every 4" of wheelbase.

So:

110" 20'
114" 21'
118" 22'
122" 23' and so on

But this is only ONE of many considerations. Max towing capacity, payload, GVW, GCWR, max axle weight, tire type/weight rating all are just as important in considering if it's within the capabilities. If one is out, then all the rest don't really matter.
So to pull a 35' trailer , including the a frame length, you need a wheel base of 170"? That sure doesn't make sense to me. My vantage is 34.25 ft and I pull it with a ford expedition, don't know where I would get a vehicle with that wheelbase except a bus and then I would already have a motorhome so no need for a trailer.
rschad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:05 PM   #10
Fixjet

Yep my crew cab long bed is to short for my 35 foot Laredo, ya right. Longer wheel bases are always nice but not like you can't go shorter, did it for years. The tow police can now chime in.
Fixjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:04 PM   #11
Shogunles

The wheelbase formula is nice to use as a guide, however, it does not take into account several factors that have improved over the years with technology. One being the improved WD hitches and sway control options you have now. The other is tow vehicle upgrades made as well.

Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion. And when it comes to towing and tow vehicles, there are a great many of them. Each person has their own comfort level to what he/she feels to be a safe threshold regarding this topic. Does not mean what an individual feels is safe, is Gospel, and must be followed. Merely a suggestion to the OP who is looking for options and insight.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:41 PM   #12
Fixjet

You are correct they are guides only. But some on this and other forums post them as hard limits that if you stray from you are endangering yourself and others. Like I said a longer wheel base is always better. Would I tow a 35 ft. total length trailer with a 110 inch wb. NO but I did with a 133 wb 3/4 ton without an issue. But my 167 wb is much more enjoyable. According to the outdated chart above I'm short on wb with one of the longest if not longest trucks you can buy.
Fixjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:28 AM   #13
Shogunles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixjet View Post
You are correct they are guides only. But some on this and other forums post them as hard limits that if you stray from you are endangering yourself and others. Like I said a longer wheel base is always better. Would I tow a 35 ft. total length trailer with a 110 inch wb. NO but I did with a 133 wb 3/4 ton without an issue. But my 167 wb is much more enjoyable. According to the outdated chart above I'm short on wb with one of the longest if not longest trucks you can buy.
I agree. I tow my 35.6' overall TT without any issues with my 2012 F350 TD Short Bed. At some point this equation has to account for HP, torque, and computerized anti sway of the Tow Vehicle, and again WD Hitches with sway control.

I have been running the Reese Straight Line WD Hitch with sway cams. This is the best hitch I have ever used. It really responds well to trailer sway. I have towed in gale force winds, going over NYC Bridges without any big issues. Of course I had to slow down considerably. I would not advise this! I was towing home from our Autumn Spot when Sandy decided to pay a visit. It was a day and a half before she hit, and the winds were a blowing by then! However, it proved the hitch and cams work!
Old 04-13-2014, 06:38 PM   #14
RGene7001

Sometimes dealers can tell the truth. By chance.
The formula is definitely outdated and is valid for pickup trucks, unless rear overhang is taken into equation. The one of typical pickup truck is usually 58 inches or so. SUVs are short wheelbased most of the time, but some of them come with relatively short tail as well, and this is good news, since shorter rear overhang (up to hitch ball) translates into longer "adjusted" wheelbase. Mine may be as long as 165-170 inches and so far I am not looking for any TV upgrade at this point, although I would not be able to tow anything longer than a pop-up based on the formula. JGC is very similar; once I spotted it with 31 feet Passport, but did not have a chance to talk to the owner.
Good luck, perfect WD and a shortest possible towbar will do the trick

Gene.

'13 Passport 2650 BH- traded in
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote