Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2014, 03:19 AM   #1
AlpineOppa

Issue with Dodge's integrated braking system

I just purchased a 2014 Alpine 3010RE (5th wheel) and my TV is a 2012 Dodge 3500 Longhorn, crew, 4x4. We just returned from a short trip and I noticed that each time I braked and then released the brake there was a short "tugging" sensation from the camper. I also noticed this on my Montana (traded it for the Alpine) the last time I took it out.
The trailer wheels are not locking up when I apply the brakes - they just seem to grab some - and then release when I let up on the brakes. I've adjusted the Dodge's integrated brake system, trying different settings - from 5 down to 2 - but the trailer brakes still grab.
As I was backing up and parking the Alpine yesterday, my wife, who was at the rear of the trailer guiding me in, told me she kept hearing a clicking noise from the trailer's wheels each time I tapped the brakes.
Since this issue has occurred on both the Montana and the Alpine I'm sure the problem is with my Dodge. I'm going to have my Dodge dealership check this out, but I'm wondering if anyone out there has experienced this issue and what may be the problem/cause/ and cure.
Thanks for reading this long post. Hope someone can help.
AlpineOppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:36 AM   #2
tileman

Hi and to the site.

I have a 2010 3500 with the integrated braking system when we tow our fuzion toyhauler it works fine I set it to about 8 or so.

When we tow our little trailer it's a 16' with the motocross bikes in it I get the same as you I stop and then go to take off and get a small tug.

I have moved the integrated braking up and down no diff took the trailer in to have a look at the braking system all fine and working good they say.

So mine has been doing this for over 3 year's and its still towing the small trailer fine so I just let it go for now.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:08 AM   #3
jonbiker

I have this issue, I don't see it as a problem, but it only occurs at very slow speeds. I think it is the integrated brake taking its time in sending the message to the trailer brakes to let go. Maybe I just don't notice it at regular speeds.
Prior RVs:
2013 Cougar XLite 28SGS 5th Wheel
2003 Tahoe 36' Toyhauler
2004 All American Sport 41' Toyhauler
2009 Glacier Bay 35' 5ver
2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB
2003 Dodge 3500 LB 4x4 5.9L 4.10 Rear 6 spd manual PAC Brake
jonbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:18 PM   #4
AlpineOppa

Thanks for ya'lls responses. This issue occurs for me only at slow speeds also- at full or nearly full stops, while backing, ect. I don't think it would bother me so much - but it only started doing this back in October. Never had done it before then.
Oh well, I took the Dodge in for servicing today and told them to check it out- still under warranty. Once I hear from the dealership, I'll make a final post.
AlpineOppa is offline   Reply With Quote