Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2013, 01:07 AM   #1
richf28

Summer storage

I've decided i might store my camper here in Florida this year instead of pulling it back home. With the price of gas it will be cheaper to leave it here on site on a cement site. I was wondering what others do to their campers to ready it for storage in the summer heat and humidity. I'm a bit concerned about the roof, awning, tires, sun coming in and fading the material inside. And of course any varments that may enter. Do you cover any roof vents? All utilities will be unhooked and slide pushed in.

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
2011 Ford Screw with Ecoboost
2010 Keystone Hornet 28RLS
Hensley Hitch
richf28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:10 PM   #2
C1v1leng

Storage

We kept our fifthwheel in central Florida last summer. We arrived this fall to find someone cut the cover, ripped off the vent cover and kicked in the screen over the kitchen. They dropped into the dining room smashing one of the dining chairs. They did not take anything as we had cleaned out the camper before we left. They didn't bother to replace the vent cover so after several months, the inside of the camper was a lush tropical green. Take your camper home or put it in a storage area that has cameras and someone checks on it. Lesson learned. BTW it cost me a lot more than fuel this year.
C1v1leng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:34 AM   #3
notanlines

Rich, I'm not sure you've done the math correctly. Let's say for example that you'd be towing it a total of 2400 miles round trip, home to Florida. Average 22 without the trailer, average 12 with the trailer. (Probably close, anyway) At $2.60 per gallon that's about a $250 difference. Of course I'm not taking in the ACTUAL cost per mile for the towing. What is the cost per month to store it in Florida VS the cost per month in Erie? I might add, you can buy a relatively inexpensive cover for your trailer in the neighborhood of $300.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:32 AM   #4
GaryWT

Would you be leaving it on your site or in a storage area. I would think if you are in a campground on a site there is less chance for damage and someone would call if there was an issue. A cover would help with the sun. Although since gas is down well over a dollar a gallon it must be cheaper to bring it home. Also what will you camp in all summer? My truck sucks up gas whether I am towing or not so there is not much difference. Good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:24 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Rich, Are you just trying to justify in $ & ¢ leaving your trailer in Fl or would you be more comfortable making the trips solo???? Many folks leave their trailers (and MH) in Florida for the summer. If you are serious about it, ask around your CG and get advice from those that do. Reflective insulation between the windows and shades on the sunny sides of the trailer help reduce temps and UV damage. Good vent covers allow for circulation of air to prevent mold. See what others who have been doing it for years use to prevent unwanted critters from invading your winter home.
You have to compare the pros and cons. Traveling with your trailer ... you can sleep on the road in your own bed ... take comfortable breaks along the way and have time in the off season for trailer maintenance.
____ Leaving your trailer ... you will have to stay in motels on the road ... you will have to make arrangements to have your trailer serviced while you are not there.Most CGs don't allow campers to work on TVs or trailers but will allow mobile service in off season. .... you will have a more relaxed trip, not towing and not have to worry about weather as much .... Not have to worry about trailer break downs. ....
I could go on and on (as I usually do) but it comes down to what are YOU and your co-pilot comfortable with. I don't have a co-pilot, I have a nail-biting navigator, so my trip would be much more relaxing if I was not towing, so this would influence my decision too.
Good luck in whatever decision you end up making. You might want to check on what insurance coverage you have if it is not stored at home.
Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:46 PM   #6
GaryWT

My co-pilot is generally asleep while we travel so I am usually "alone", lol. Luckily I love towing so not an issue. I know I would not like my trailer that far away from me, but that is me.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:35 PM   #7
cabinfever

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Rich, I'm not sure you've done the math correctly. Let's say for example that you'd be towing it a total of 2400 miles round trip, home to Florida. Average 22 without the trailer, average 12 with the trailer. (Probably close, anyway) At $2.60 per gallon that's about a $250 difference. Of course I'm not taking in the ACTUAL cost per mile for the towing. What is the cost per month to store it in Florida VS the cost per month in Erie? I might add, you can buy a relatively inexpensive cover for your trailer in the neighborhood of $300.
I'm thinking when Rich originally posted this the price of gas was a bit higher than today.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:01 AM   #8
notanlines

Rich, I'm not sure you've done the math correctly. Let's say for example that you'd be towing it a total of 2400 miles round trip, home to Florida. Average 22 without the trailer, average 12 with the trailer. (Probably close, anyway) At $3.60 per gallon (AAA April 2013 average US price per gallon) that's about a $325 difference. Of course I'm not taking in the ACTUAL cost per mile for the towing. What is the cost per month to store it in Florida VS the cost per month in Erie? I might add, you can buy a relatively inexpensive cover for your trailer in the neighborhood of $300.
Regretfully I hadn't looked at the date of the first post. I'm still in the dark as to what Rich decided to do. Inquiring minds want to know. My DW refers to my condition as "nose trouble."
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:39 AM   #9
Brantlaker

The DW and I tow the 5er South in the Fall around the end of October and make a 2-3 week trip of it visiting friends and family. When we leave it we pull in the slides and pull down the shades open the vents a crack , use 2 Damprid in a large pail (in case of overflow), cover the tires, drain the water tank and hot water heater,open all low water drains (close and cap all when done). This has worked for the last 7 years. It is only in storage for 2-3 months it goes home to be used in the Summer. I only leave it on a Campground Site or their storage yard.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:29 PM   #10
LittleJoe

I spoke to a camper last year In Florida at our campground. He started leaving his large 5ver year round about 5yrs ago (from Long Island). He is parked in a shady spot. He closes up tight and runs a dehumidifier all summer. He arranges to have exterior washed every couple of months to keep mold at bay. Reported no problems with his method.
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote