Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2013, 09:00 AM   #21
mhs4771

So if I have a TV with a 5000 Lb cargo cap, I can hookup my 5er with 4000 Lbs of pin weight and still load in 5000 Lbs of bricks.............Then sit back a watch the tires explode and spings to break, right?
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #22
KenBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfamily View Post
Blowing head gaskets. Have been refered by some in diesel mags as the new "6.0".
I work at a Ram dealer. As long as the 6.7 has been out, maybe about 10 vehicles have had head gasket issues at our dealer. Maybe the failures are from aftermarket upgrades. A little research showed that head gasket issues happen with modified engines. You should put some evidence, statistics, or other information other than "refered by some in diesel mags....." before a post is made.
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #23
SAD
Permanent User Ban

My 07 6.7 is doing fine!
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #24
Cougarfamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
My 07 6.7 is doing fine!
As is our 6.0!

2005 F-250 PSD 4X4 SWB
2012 Cougar 328QBS
B&W Companion hitch
Cougarfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #25
NMRVer

Exclamation I'm very interested in this post.

I've got the 324FWBHS also, but I pull it with my 2004 F250 CC 6.0l LB diesel with rear air bags. I haven't had any problems and have pulled it from coast to coast. Maybe I need to rethink this, am I over the GV ratings?? Subscript for safety.
NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #26
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
So from your point of view the trailer's pin or tongue weight has no effect on the payload... HUmmmmmm
That is correct. Do a free body diagram (force diagram) this will show you that all of the loading is being transferred to the frame and then to the axles/tires. As long as you do not exceed the GAWR and the GCVW ratings you are within the safe design parameters set for by the manufactures.

See what “SAE” says about towing and how it is to be applied to the vehicle.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #27
jforrest

I'm new to this site, but have been camping for years. I've found that a 4 wheel drive is essential if you do much back country camping. I have a habit of camping in a few tight areas and without 4 wheel drive, some of my trips would be impossible. One ton diesel works for me.
jforrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #28
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
That is correct. Do a free body diagram (force diagram) this will show you that all of the loading is being transferred to the frame and then to the axles/tires. As long as you do not exceed the GAWR and the GCVW ratings you are within the safe design parameters set for by the manufactures.

See what “SAE” says about towing and how it is to be applied to the vehicle.

Jim W.
Quote:
Hank according to the Ram Body Builders.COM web site and I quote "Payload and maximum trailer weight are mutually exclusive"
To me this means as I have stated in the past payload is for the material you carry in the bed such as bricks, sand and dirt. The trailer towing does not fall under the payload requirements.

Jim W.
Perhaps you might rethink your statement...

Payload is the remaining sum after one subtracts the actual weight of the vehicle from the registered GVWR. 10,000 - 7310= 2690

I think most of us will agree that weight placed in or about the vehicle has an effect on payload whether it be a cord of firewood or a pipe bumper... The GVWR is a limit subscribed by the manufacturer and in some states is the registered maximum weight of that vehicle. Pin weight or tongue weight certainly fall within that category and have bearing on payload..

I will state for the record that it is fully possible to exceed the GVWR while not exceeding the GAWR and visa versa...

I suppose in the strictest sense it is possibly to tow a trailer with little to no tongue or pin weight but I don't believe such is practical for a discussion about travel trailers or 5th wheel camping trailers. I think most of us understand that there must be a reasonable amount of downward force on either the pin or the hitch ball in order for the trailer to tow well..

So in effect the applicable pin or tongue weight and it's effect on the GAWR and payload would dictate the maximum size trailer that any vehicle could pull.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:10 AM   #29
Jim W

Javi:
As I quote some of your statements.
“Perhaps you might rethink your statement... NO!

So in effect the applicable pin or tongue weight and it's effect on the GAWR and payload would dictate the maximum size trailer that any vehicle could pull.”

Then how can a 2008 Mega Cab 3500HD SRW truck with 3:73 gear set with a GAWR of 6,200 LBS can tow a 13,500LBS trailer and a payload rating of 2,730 LBS. Now the same truck but with a 4:10 gear set which has the same GAWR can tow a 16,500LBS trailer with the same payload rating of 2,730 LBS. How can this happen using your statement? Per Ram what dictates the towing ability is the HP, TQ, type of transmission and axle gear ratio for any given truck with the same basic design features such as frame tires/rims and spring packs.

My data is from the official Ram Body Builders website which list all of the engineering facts needed to up fit and design a truck for either towing or adding a chassis body to them.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #30
Javi

Quote:
Javi:
As I quote some of your statements.
“Perhaps you might rethink your statement... NO!

So in effect the applicable pin or tongue weight and it's effect on the GAWR and payload would dictate the maximum size trailer that any vehicle could pull.”

Then how can a 2008 Mega Cab 3500HD SRW truck with 3:73 gear set with a GAWR of 6,200 LBS can tow a 13,500LBS trailer and a payload rating of 2,730 LBS. Now the same truck but with a 4:10 gear set which has the same GAWR can tow a 16,500LBS trailer with the same payload rating of 2,730 LBS. How can this happen using your statement? Per Ram what dictates the towing ability is the HP, TQ, type of transmission and axle gear ratio for any given truck with the same basic design features such as frame tires/rims and spring packs.

My data is from the official Ram Body Builders website which list all of the engineering facts needed to up fit and design a truck for either towing or adding a chassis body to them.

Jim W.
Okay... I see where your misunderstanding is...

The maximum trailer that the vehicle can tow is based on power (pulling and stopping) not weight...

However, one cannot escape the fact that there is weight associated with the pin or tongue of a camping trailer..

In your example for instance.... you gave some of the numbers... 6200 lbs GAWR and payload of 2730 lbs. Now assuming that you are referencing a 5th wheel with a pin weight of between 20% and 25% in your first example a trailer weighing 13,500 lbs... 13500 x .2 = 2700 lbs a number just under the allowed payload... okay now 13500 x .25 = 3375lbs a number substantially more than the allowable payload...

Payload is a number derived from subtracting the actual weight of the vehicle from the GVWR... the number on the sticker has no correlation to the real world, as we all add things to our trucks which diminish the actual payload number....

Bottom line is you simply misunderstood the statement that payload and maximum trailer weight are mutually exclusive... which by the way is a true statement...

In fact they are mutually exclusive because one is based on power and the other is based on the carrying capacity of the frame, axles and tires less the weight of everything applying down force (weight) to those components... this includes the pin or tongue weight of a camping trailer...

While the truck has the stopping and pulling power to pull a 16K trailer... it simply can't carry the necessary weight to actually do it... unless you can find a way to reduce the load on the truck and still get the trailer to track straight down the road...
Old 03-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #31
mhs4771

There is a way, was just posted recently on one of the forums, but don't remember which. It's a dolly type little trailer that has either a 5th wheel hitch or bumper ball centered over it's axle. Then you just connect this thing to your TV's receiver ball. It carries all the weight so you're just pulling the weight not carrying it.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #32
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
There is a way, was just posted recently on one of the forums, but don't remember which. It's a dolly type little trailer that has either a 5th wheel hitch or bumper ball centered over it's axle. Then you just connect this thing to your TV's receiver ball. It carries all the weight so you're just pulling the weight not carrying it.
Sounds like something a buddy of mine would dare me to do after a night of drinking.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:57 PM   #33
mhs4771

If you've ever seen the Movie "The Long, Long Trailer" with Ricky and Lucy. That's the setup that was used to pull that long long trailer behind their car. I wish I could remember which forum it was posted on but CRS has set in.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #34
NMRVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Forget max tow capacity .... PAYLOAD, PAYLOAD, PAYLOAD. Between pin weight and passengers and gear you will be overloaded with any 3/4 ton. 1 ton srw minimum but drw recommended. JM2˘, Hank
First thanks, so even though I have rear air bags, I need a 1 ton TV. Don't the 3/4 and 1 ton have the same axles? Please understand, I'm not arguing, I just what to do what's right.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #35
NMRVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
X2

With that GVWR you are looking at minimum 1 ton SRW (newer) otherwise a dually. It can be pulled with a gas engine, but the experance with be a lot better with a diesel as long as you stay away from a Ford 6.0.
Thanks, I have the 6.0 diesel. After having the standard ERG cooler problem, I installed the Bulletproof diesel kit and haven't had problem one now after 2 years. Even pulling the 5er, it got a bad rep because of bad coolant and oil cooler design. Now I love it. Now, towing.. Doesn't the 3/4 and 1 ton SD have to same rear axle? So, by installing rear air bags shouldn't this correct the box weight problem. I've put almost 3 tons of rocks in the bed and after pumping up the air bags, travel level without a problem. Thanks again for the reply, I want to be as safe as possible and since I own my truck, I just want my family safe.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:35 PM   #36
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRVer View Post
I've got the 324FWBHS also, but I pull it with my 2004 F250 CC 6.0l LB diesel with rear air bags. I haven't had any problems and have pulled it from coast to coast. Maybe I need to rethink this, am I over the GV ratings?? Subscript for safety.
Well why do you have the bags, does is sag a lot, may be the same axle, but different springs. Do you know your loaded weight on your rear axle? You can't tow safe if you don't know that number.

Quote:
First thanks, so even though I have rear air bags, I need a 1 ton TV. Don't the 3/4 and 1 ton have the same axles? Please understand, I'm not arguing, I just what to do what's right.
We it is true that the basic difference between a 3/4 ton and one ton SRW is springs, and perhaps larger tires, it all has to do again with the reason for the bags, is it to lift a saggy truck or smooth the ride?

I tow over my GVWR, but well under both front and rear GAWR, I don't run bags and don't think I could as any pressure in them at all would raise the nose of the 5er it would put my 5er in a real nose up attitude

Quote:
Thanks, I have the 6.0 diesel. After having the standard ERG cooler problem, I installed the Bulletproof diesel kit and haven't had problem one now after 2 years. Even pulling the 5er, it got a bad rep because of bad coolant and oil cooler design. Now I love it. Now, towing.. Doesn't the 3/4 and 1 ton SD have to same rear axle? So, by installing rear air bags shouldn't this correct the box weight problem. I've put almost 3 tons of rocks in the bed and after pumping up the air bags, travel level without a problem. Thanks again for the reply, I want to be as safe as possible and since I own my truck, I just want my family safe.
I guess I don't expect my diesel to come with a standard problem, that cost between $3,000 to $15,000 to fix. That is why I quit Ford after 45 years and got a Cummins.
If you placed 3 tons of rocks in the bed and then pumped up the bags to level is exactly the reason I don't like bags. 6,000# of rock + the about 2,500# of weight on the axle normally comes to 8,500# on tires rated to about 6,830#, that is not safe!
That brings us back to the point of how those air bags affect how much load or over load you have on the rear axle. You really need to weigh to see wher you sit with your GVWR (not the end of the world), and GAWRs this is the end of the world as it is based on tire ratings.

I stated I tow over GVWR, but I tow WELL under GAWR, and don't have a need for them.

So if you weigh and have room to spare on your GAWRs then enjoy, if you don't time to step up.

This is my "overloaded rig" without bags.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:50 AM   #37
mhs4771

Here's the solution to anyone pulling over weight:
http://www.automatedsafetyhitch.com/
I still don't know how really safe this is with an undersized TV, but you can check it out for your selves

Old 04-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #38
Cougarfamily

Quote "[COLOR="Blue"]I guess I don't expect my diesel to come with a standard problem, that cost between $3,000 to $15,000 to fix. That is why I quit Ford after 45 years and got a Cummins."

That's odd. I had that common problem and it only cost $1,150 for the part and install. Of course, the dealership wanted $5,000 to do it, but I had it done at a shop that sells and installs the Bulletproof line.

I had invested quite a bit more than that fixing our '06 CTD in the 2 years we had it. Sure feels good to be driving Ford Blue again.

2005 F-250 PSD 4X4 SWB
2012 Cougar 328QBS
B&W Companion hitch
Cougarfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #39
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Here's the solution to anyone pulling over weight:
http://www.automatedsafetyhitch.com/
I still how really safe this is with an undersized TV, but you can check it out for your selves
Interesting concept!

It sure alters the way you'd look at pin weight and payload numbers. They claim that the thing will handle pin weights up to 6,300# and an optional HD to go to 8,000#. I have problems with their numbers because it still all boils down to a pair of ST tires under the pin. According my tire charts, that would limit the thing to less than 5,000# pin weight, but that is still HUMONGEOUS!!!!

And, having an extra axle with brakes as part of the trailer system would sure make me think differently about the stopping capacity of most any truck or SUV. It'd likely make a good case for the newer 1/4 ton P/U's with big pull ratings but limited payload numbers.

I wonder what the thing costs??

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #40
JRTJH
Site Team

Isn't this essentially the same concept that UPS uses in it's piggyback truck system?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote