Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
Houndie Dog

Refrigerator question

Hi Folks,
Hope I haven't used up my alloment of questions yet
I parked my trailer and opened the fridge and freezer doors before I closed everything up......I heard a noise in the fridge that sounded like (maybe) a fan ?
I made sure the fridge was turned off and still heard the noise. I disconnected the battery and then the noise stopped.

Can anyone explain what that is ? I have a Dometic.
thanks
Grant
Hensly TS3 trailer-saver hitch
KVH TracVision R4SL
3 Basset Hounds "Lucy, Ethel, & Fred"
https://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...vado/coach.jpg
Houndie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:41 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

If your fridge is in a slide-out (and I think it is on your model) there should be a fan in the compartment behind the fridge to help vent the heat since the vent can't go straight up. I would think the dealer should have explained how it operates when you did a walk-through. There may be a delay (like on the furnace fan) to purge the heat from the compartment after you turn it off.
The fan on the DC converter may also be the culprit. Lots of funny noises to get used to. Hank .... I never heard of a Cuban Basset Hound ... so I guess that explains why there is no Ricky.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
Houndie Dog

Lol

No Ricky.....three are more than a handful
I did some research and looked at a schematic and it appears that this fridge has an optional circulation fan that is connected to a thermoswitch. I think the fan is supposed to run until the fridge reaches a certain temp and then shuts off. That sounds like a good idea, but if you leave the battery connected and the fridge off the fan thinks it is supposed to keep running.....it is on a hot bus to the battery.
What is strange is that the installation and/or the operating manual does not mention this fan, but it is on the schematic.
KVH TracVision R4SL
Old 10-20-2010, 04:36 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Not sure what model of Dometic fridge you have but on many there is a 12V DC Climate Control. This control can be left on continuously or used only when temperatures require it. When the switch is in the "ON" position, the climate control will draw 12V continuously. You should turn this switch to "OFF" when you are not plugged in or a charging source is not available. This system keeps your fridge free of water droplets by keeping the air moving within the fridge during periods of high temps and humidity outside.
On our Dometic (model DM2652) this switch is located beneath the top decoration panel that houses the control panel. It isn't visible at first glance. I am not surprised by a dealer not showing you this because I am guessing that most don't even know that it exists, what it does, or where it is located.
This CCS may be the noise you are hearing??????
If you have such a switch and you are dry camping, you need to turn it to "OFF" or you could drain your battery!
Old 10-20-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
Houndie Dog

Switch

Thanks,
I will go look tomorrow and see if I can find the switch.
KVH TracVision R4SL