Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
antiqfreq

Fremont RV, S. Sioux City, Nebraska

Okay,
I gotta give the kudos when they are due..........
We were in Ponca State Park in Nebraska and our axles were just creaking and crackling......The DH said we gotta get them looked at.
Nothing in this town so we drove 20 miles to So. Sioux City & it was 5PM on
Friday. The manager was there closing up but we told him our problem (and that we fulltime so we live in our RV) and he said bring it in Monday (today) at 8AM. So we did - they took us right away and by 1PM we were gone!

They had to replace and/or repack all of the bearings. Checked the brakes - they were good. Had to replace ALL bushings in the leaf springs. There are NONE left in there......completely gone. That was ALL the noise we heard!

Anyway, we drove away today and it was very quiet back there......Nice.......
No complaints from us and I wanted to let you know that, Doug, was a great help there and I just wanted everyone to know about that fine business.

Jo/ Moderator
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:56 AM   #2
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiqfreq View Post
Okay,
They had to replace and/or repack all of the bearings. Checked the brakes - they were good. Had to replace ALL bushings in the leaf springs. There are NONE left in there......completely gone. That was ALL the noise we heard!
Jo/ Moderator
Jo,
About how many miles have you driven with this camper? The reason I ask is on other forums several RV users have replace their suspension components around 6,000 miles.
They have replace the bushing and shackles along with the mounting hardware. Some have even replace the equalizer between the two leave springs.
I have about 3,500 miles on my unit that we purchased new in 2010 and do I need to consider replacing this hardware next year? We are thinking of going out west to RMNP, Yellowstone, and Montana which should be another 3,500 miles round trip, we will put on the camper. I would rather replace them at home instead of on the road, if they need to be replace.
Thanks
Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:17 AM   #3
antiqfreq

The shackles were replaced also but the equalizers in both were good.

We have probably 25,000 miles on our trailer & the last week or two we noticed the noises and then last week it was worse so we looked underneath and we saw the problems.

We use it fulltime so we have more miles than most in 2 1/2 years. (That is how old our camper is as we bought it in Feb 2008 and it was a left over 2007 that was new sitting on the dealers lot.)

But for a year now we've been on the road.............. Hopefully these repairs last a few more years even though we'll probably we traveling in it fulltime another six months to another year.

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote