Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2011, 06:58 AM   #21
mikell

Our campground has the wrong address on a lot of sites some we can change others we cannot. Even our website I had to put a GPS address because the mailing address is 1/4 mile away
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:19 AM   #22
SAABDOCTOR

HEY KLUNKER! THANKS I CAN'T SEE THE SMART PHONE WHEN DRIVING, BECAUSE MY GLASSES WILL FALL OFF WHEN DW HITS ME WITH HER BOOK!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:50 PM   #23
rjsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTJ9610 View Post
One of the only downfalls to the smart phone is when you lose signal.
Actually the newer version of Goggle Maps uploads a much larger area of map data, not just the screen area your looking at, so even if cell connection is lost it can continue to track your position via GPS data. And remember if you ever lose GPS signal you can continue on using cell tower info.

A Garmin has no backup if you lose signal your lost. I would dare say you have a better chance of losing sat data than cell data, at least that's been my experience in large midtown cities like NY.

Again, my wife and I traveled for almost 50 days last spring going cross country and only lost Verizon coverage once at the bottom of Palo Duro Canyon, and the phone still tracked our location no problem via GPS satellite.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #24
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
Actually the newer version of Goggle Maps uploads a much larger area of map data, not just the screen area your looking at, so even if cell connection is lost it can continue to track your position via GPS data. And remember if you ever lose GPS signal you can continue on using cell tower info.

A Garmin has no backup if you lose signal your lost. I would dare say you have a better chance of losing sat data than cell data, at least that's been my experience in large midtown cities like NY.

Again, my wife and I traveled for almost 50 days last spring going cross country and only lost Verizon coverage once at the bottom of Palo Duro Canyon, and the phone still tracked our location no problem via GPS satellite.
verizon coverage is very good in many parts of the country, but once you get into MT, ID, WA, OR Northern CA, especially in the mountains, where the good campsites are, you'll likely loose coverage. (ATT and others as well). In many places, even on secondary highway I need my Wilson 3 watt Cell phone amp to continue to get coverage.

At least the CoPilot android app has the entire US/Canada/Mexico maps on the phone, so as long has you get a GPS signal the app works. Google maps quites if you loose cell signal for long enough because it doesn't have the entire map set resident.

And yes, I've found in larger cities especially around tall buildings, I loose GPS before cell reception.

In general, I prefer the Google Navigation App better than my Garmin Nuvi, mostly for the voice prompts and info it gives. Now if google would just have a good RV app like Garmin/magellan/etc. that would really be the slick ticket.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote