Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2015, 08:00 AM   #21
Festus2
Site Team

If you can't get a mobile RV tech or some other "qualified" person to go over the RV, then can you ask someone you know - friend, acquaintance, relative, etc. - who is an experienced, knowledgeable RVer - to come out and go over it? This person doesn't have to be a "professional" - just someone who knows RVs and would be able to provide you with some sound advice.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:02 AM   #22
SAABDOCTOR

Hi i will toss in my 2 cents. Use the NADA guide. kelly blue book will have you paying way too much. use the pdi in the sticky notes and take your time doing the walk through. ask lots of questions and make sure you see everything works. good luck!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:30 PM   #23
06h2sut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
Hi i will toss in my 2 cents. Use the NADA guide. kelly blue book will have you paying way too much. use the pdi in the sticky notes and take your time doing the walk through. ask lots of questions and make sure you see everything works. good luck!
Yeah the keystone guy told me to use a 2007 345s on Nada. So that's what I did, and got a value of 30k to 36.5k that seems high to me but I don't know? Lol
06h2sut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:31 PM   #24
Ken / Claudia

If it was me, knowing what I have learned about rvs over about 40 years. I would not be in any hurry to purchase it because it looks good and is clean. I know what to look at and for regarding problems and would spend most of 1 day going over it. You do not know what a good roof looks like vs a bad one. They should be cleaned and checked yearly or more. That's just the start. leaks can be anywhere and not seen until a real costly repair, All rvs will leak sooner or later. Every item must be turned on and used. Tires, likely good great but, are rotten unless just purchased. They do have date codes and need replaced 5 to 7 years with or without any mileage.. Bearings? brakes? propane tanks need rechecked after 12 years, whats the date on those. Batteries last a couple years to maybe 5. Is everything working on 12v and shorepower as it should. Just listed afew items.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:40 PM   #25
CarKath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
If it was me, knowing what I have learned about rvs over about 40 years. I would not be in any hurry to purchase it because it looks good and is clean. I know what to look at and for regarding problems and would spend most of 1 day going over it. You do not know what a good roof looks like vs a bad one. They should be cleaned and checked yearly or more. That's just the start. leaks can be anywhere and not seen until a real costly repair, All rvs will leak sooner. Every item must be turned on and used. Tires, likely good great but, are rotten unless just purchased. They do have date codes and need replaced 5 to 7 years with or without any mileage.. Bearings? brakes? propane tanks need rechecked after 12 years, whats the date on those. Batteries last a couple years to maybe 5. Is everything working on 12v and shorepower as it should. Just listed afew items.
What Ken said

Another thought, maybe there is somebody from this forum that is close and willing to help you out. Just throwing it out there. Flip them something for there fuel and time and everybody is happy. New friend gained.
Thinking out loud again
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:09 AM   #26
06h2sut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarKath View Post
What Ken said

Another thought, maybe there is somebody from this forum that is close and willing to help you out. Just throwing it out there. Flip them something for there fuel and time and everybody is happy. New friend gained.
Thinking out loud again
Well my girlfriends aunt is a rv guru and has decided to help me out. As far at up keep and maintence on it the guy seems spot on. He said he redoes the roof every year. I can't remember his exact words or what he does. As far as the tanks the camper isn't even 12 years old so I imagine they are still good. As for tires OK, they will need changed if or when years down the road I decide to take it out of the park. I know two things one being Harleys, and I saw his Harley. If he keeps up on this rv like he did he Harley I should be in great standings. Oh and the battery is brand new the beginning of this year. Said he bought the biggest one he could get (not sure what size it actually is though)
Old 08-15-2015, 09:12 AM   #27
Ken / Claudia

It's your money, you have talked yourself into this RV. I wish you luck, it may be the best buy ever. It may be a pig with lip stick. Bottom line, have you ever purchased a home. I have 4 times and paid for a inspection on each one before signing the deed. A RV is like a home but, very much more regarding need of maintenance. A small spot of delamb'ed sliding can be thousands to fix. Without knowing what that is or what it looks like is another example.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:43 PM   #28
06h2sut

Well I went to look it over again sat morning, met the owner and went over it too to bottom. Was there for about 6-7 hours. Went home and did some more research. Sunday me my girlfriend and her aunt and uncle came with us. They have had RVs for the past 30+ years. We spent another 4 hours there going over more stuff. I was advised that it is a very solid camper for its age and leaving it there as a seasonal camper I would have no issues. There are just a few misc things that need fixed and very small stuff. Burnt out light bulbs here and there. One of the only things that need fixed asap is the seal on the toilet ball. It won't hold water in the bowl long. Again very easy an cheap fix. Could anyone direct me how to go about finding out the part number for the correct seal? Thanks again for all the help so far.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:12 PM   #29
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06h2sut View Post
Could anyone direct me how to go about finding out the part number for the correct seal? .
Without knowing the make and model of the toilet, it's pretty much impossible to give you any information.

If you do find out the make and model, Google it - that's what we would do to find out the part number.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:16 PM   #30
06h2sut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Without knowing the make and model of the toilet, it's pretty much impossible to give you any information.

If you do find out the make and model, Google it or download the owner's manual which often has a schematic with parts and part numbers.
I read somewhere the model of toilet is at the base under a cover. Can anyone verify that? I won't be back at the camper till this weekend and was hoping to order it before then but guess I can wait. If that's the case I might mess with the current seal and try some silicone lube or petroleum jelly on it though. Wonder if I call keystone with the vin if they could tell me the model toilet in it?
Old 08-17-2015, 06:18 PM   #31
06h2sut

Also not sure if I should make a new topic. But could someone tell me their procedure with emptying the tanks for seasonal campers, not for people who travel or drive the rv home on Sunday's. I am being told different things from a few people and now I'm confused. Also I don't think it's smart to go off the gauge lights on the wall for the tank is it?
Old 08-18-2015, 03:40 AM   #32
notanlines

I'm guessing that you will get a number of different answers here, but this is our procedure and it works for us. We empty our black water tank every three days. After it empties, I run the tank-rinse until the water runs clear through the elbow on the dump hose. (Yes, you can buy a clear elbow at any RV supply store) Then I dump both grey water tanks behind this and start the procedure all over again. And you are correct, don't trust those gauges.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:47 AM   #33
06h2sut

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I'm guessing that you will get a number of different answers here, but this is our procedure and it works for us. We empty our black water tank every three days. After it empties, I run the tank-rinse until the water runs clear through the elbow on the dump hose. (Yes, you can buy a clear elbow at any RV supply store) Then I dump both grey water tanks behind this and start the procedure all over again. And you are correct, don't trust those gauges.
I bought a clear elbow yesterday. Buy because its seasonal its all hard PVC pipe and I don't remember how its attached. So hopefully the clear thing I got will work with it.