Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2019, 07:20 PM   #1
jdixon980

Slide out lube

Is the 3 in 1 rv slideout lube a good product for my fifth wheel? Saw it at Walmart. Had fifth wheel about 1 1/2 year and haven’t added any lubricant to slides. Camping this weekend and slides made a little noise when opening. Thought I would lube before returning home. Sounded like slide seals where also sticking to slides when opening. Think I will do rubber seal conditioner at same time.
jdixon980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:43 PM   #2
bobbecky

You don't say what rig you have, but this is the Lippert maintenance for the hydraulic slide system hardware:
System Maintenance
The Lippert Through Frame Slide-out System has been static tested to over 4,000 continuous cycles without any noticeable wear to rotating or sliding parts. It is recommended that when operating in harsh environments (road salt, ice build up, etc.) the moving parts be kept clean. They can be washed with mild soap and water. No grease or lubrication is necessary and in some situations may be detrimental to the environment and long term dependability of the system.

This is the manual that has this information in it:
https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001616.pdf

If your system is different, these instructions may or may not apply.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 05:32 AM   #3
Laredo Tugger

One of my slide outs was acting up making some noise on retraction and binding. At the dealers service bay the technicians showed me where they lubricated the toothed track and gear with white lithium grease and recommended that for future maintenance. My bedroom slide for the king bed is sealed and I could not find a lube point.

I am curious if there is a lubricant that can be applied to the material under the slide out that makes contact with the wear bar. Seems that over time this point of friction could use some relief.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 01:18 PM   #4
bobbecky

The big problem with putting grease of any kind on the rack and spur gear is this will attract dirt and grit and cause bigger problems. The only place any lube can be used would be on the shaft of the gear packs on either side where there are bronze bushings, and that would be a couple drops of motor oil at each bushing. You also risk the gear jumping teeth on the rack if there is too much resistance with that grease.
The mechanism for the bed slide is simply two square tubes on the floor with smaller square tubes inside the bigger ones that are attached to the slide and a hydraulic ram between them that pushes or pulls the slide in and out. There really isn’t any provisions for lubricating this.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:15 PM   #5
travelin texans

Silicone spray on the moving parts works great, don't use any type of grease or WD40, both are dirt/dust magnets.
Click image for larger version

Name:	51zSF2Avn8L._AC_SY400_.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	24099
Used this for years, found at Walmart, never an issue.
Use Pledge furniture polish (I use the dollar store imitation) on slide seals & all rubber gaskets or seals throughout the RV, works great, been using it for the last 6 years & much cheaper than specific seal dressing products. Spray it on a rag & wipe both sides of the seals 2-3 times a year.
Never heard of grease causing resistance, thought it slicked stuff up causing less resistance! Maybe once it's full of dirt!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:15 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe Lakin View Post
A must have lubricant for your slide out. I apply Camco Slide-Out Lube twice a year. It protects the membrane that seals you RV and slide out from rain, U.V., etc.. It also promotes a nice quiet movement when you are extending or retracting your slide.
I don't go to much trouble prepping the weatherstripping. A simple wash job , allow to dry, spray on lubricant and let it soak in.

Lubrication type, method a qualities depend on the slide mechanism and what is being "lubed". I notice in the linked reviews of "the best" lubricants not one con was listed for attracting dirt and dust - some of those sprays do. The Protect All slide lube is just plain nasty and gooey. When attempting to lube a slide or protect the seals make sure you know what kind of lubricant is required for that particular application.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:05 AM   #7
travelin texans

Spray lubes containing petroleum should not be used on rubber seals....
A silicone spray is recommended for the slide mechanisms & any other moving parts, NOT regular WD-40, it's a dust/dirt magnet best used on rusted bolts.
The factory techs recommended using pledge furniture polish on the slide seals & other seals/gaskets throughout the rv, it's cheaper & works just as well as the high priced rv specific sprays. Spray it onto a rag & wipe them down occasionally.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out