Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2019, 08:10 PM   #1
B-O-B'03

2009 - 2014 Ford F150 TSB 15-1037

Last May we were headed home, from a trip to Wyoming, driving up the Raton pass in NM and the MIL, wrench and battery lights lit up... the truck died and I scrambled to get back to the shoulder after having just merged to the left lane for construction . It was foggy and sleeting, the pucker factor was high

After sitting on the shoulder for a bit I tried and was able to restart the truck and we merged back into traffic and continued on the path home.

The truck died a couple more times and we looked for a Ford dealer along our path. We stopped at XIT ford in Dalhart and their service manager brought his computer out to take a look. After scanning the truck he told me with the trouble codes he pulled, the truck should not even be running, he cleared them all and we went on our way home.

After spending the night in Amarillo the rest of the trip home to Dallas was uneventful.

Several times, after returning home, the DW had her truck die on her while driving on the freeway so I took it back to the local Ford dealer who had done the PCM reflash for the OSS sensor recall and they told me there was actually a newer version that they needed to installed, after they installed that one the truck seemed to settle down.

With the recent cold snap we experienced here, the truck started to exhibit a crank/no start symptom so I did some net research and came across the TSB mentioned in the subject.

The symptoms in the TSB fit all the issues we have been having to a T so I checked fuse 27 and low and behold it was burnt.

I know there are many folks here that have F150s and the TSB covers model years 2009 - 2014, the TSB was issued in 2015

I have filed a complaint with the NHTSB over this and suggest everyone with a truck covered by the TSB check their fuse 27 and file a complaint too.

This is a huge safety issue IMO... any time your engine shuts down, especially while pulling a trailer, puts you in serious danger. The fact that 2 different dealerships seemed to have no idea about this is also telling.

ISSUE:
Some 2009-2014 F-150 vehicles may exhibit a crank no-start, stalling and/or a malfunction indictor lamp (MIL) illuminated with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0230, P025A, P0627, U0109, P0201, P0202, P0203, P0204, P0205, P0206, P0207 and/or P0208.

Be careful out there.

-Brian
Old 11-20-2019, 08:40 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Thanks for the heads up... No doubt it will be useful information to someone !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:09 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

What is TCM? I know what an ECM, PCM, ACM, FICM, etc are but haven't heard of a TCM and given the seriousness of what you describe, perhaps some clarification and what code was found indicating a problem with this component.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:14 AM   #4
B-O-B'03

Hi George,

The only codes found were when we stopped at XIT Ford in Dalhart, the service manager never made note of them he just cleared them all out and sent us on our way.

I have no idea what a TCM is where did you see that?

After the Dealer in Richardson did the second PCM re-flash we have not had any other issues with the truck until the cold snap last week and then it started the crank/no start problem.

Here is a link to the Ford TSB

Let me know if I can provide any more clarification.

-Brian
Old 11-21-2019, 01:48 PM   #5
NH_Bulldog

TCM = Turner Classic Movies?
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:34 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
Hi George,

The only codes found were when we stopped at XIT Ford in Dalhart, the service manager never made note of them he just cleared them all out and sent us on our way.

After the Dealer in Richardson did the second PCM re-flash we have not had any other issues with the truck until the cold snap last week and then it started the crank/no start problem.

-Brian
I meant TSB.... what does that do? That pdf file essentially showed a fuse relocation kit fix for an issue with the thing.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:02 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I meant TSB.... what does that do? That pdf file essentially showed a fuse relocation kit fix for an issue with the thing.
TSB: Technical Service Bulletin. About "3 stops short of a NTSB recall"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-21-2019, 05:05 PM   #8
LHaven

Quote:
We stopped at XIT ford in Dalhart and their service manager brought his computer out to take a look. After scanning the truck he told me with the trouble codes he pulled, the truck should not even be running, he cleared them all and we went on our way home.
That there is some quality service work. I'm in the wrong business.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:46 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.... With the trouble codes in the PCM, the truck shouldn't be running, but since it is, I'll clear the codes and (hopefully it won't self destruct) I'll send you on your way (hopefully never to see you again)…

That'll be $125... Oh, we'll claim it from Ford under your vehicle warranty....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-21-2019, 08:59 PM   #10
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I wish he had at least made a note of them, before clearing them out, but there was no charge.

I was glad we did not get to spend the night or longer

-Brian
Old 11-21-2019, 10:23 PM   #11
66joej

TSBs are not advertised (as sent to the vehicle owner). You must search them out on line or from the dealer. A few I have brought to my Ford dealers attention and they claimed to have never seen them. Not recalls but problems the manufacturer has found and will rectify (fix) if the customer insists. Do your searches if you think you have an incurring problem. TSBs are not warranty period specific. Be sure to quote the number associated with the TSB when inquiring at your specific vehicle make dealer. All manufacturers have them. There is one from Ford that addresses excessive oil consumption on the 5.0 Coyote engine. TSB19-2058. Remedy is to replace engine (long block). About $10K if you had to do it yourself.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:36 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Hi George,

-Brian
Sad, sounds like you found 2 incompetent dealers. In 1985 we bought a brand new Mercury Marquis. Took it to Niagara Falls with our first born toddler. Traveling around Dunkirk PA the engine computer (new at the time) went crazy. Almost drove thru a toll booth. Found Dunkirk Ford at stopped in.

This was a Friday at 4:15 p.m. They put every mechanic in the shop under the hood. Wires running to equipment everywhere. It looked like a patient in shock trauma. All the equipment said the computer was malfunctioning but didn't make sense. They called Ford in Detroit for help.

One older mechanic yelled stop. He said he saw the battery cable spark at the solenoid. Sure enough the bolt was loose causing an interruption and causing the computer to have a seizure. Tightened up the solenoid and all was well.

Point is just like RV's, the dealer can make or brake the experience. It seems as though it becomes more challenging every day to find one the "makes" it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:43 AM   #13
billsr

I had my '13 F 150 die on me while taking my Fiance to work. Tried several times to restart truck, but no good. Contacted AAA, and had truck towed to Ford Dealer. They checked and vehicle started right up for them. They installed a new battery and said I was good to go.

After getting home (Fiance lived in one City, I in another), I did some online research and found the Fuse 27 problem. Checked fuse #27, which is a mini 20 Amp fuse, and it was burned. I put a new fuse in, but, I didn't trust it to not happen again. The fuse runs the fuel pump.

Bought the kit that relocates the fuel pump fuse to another location and uses a bigger 20 Amp fuse. Had my local Ford Dealer install it, and have had no problems since then.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:01 PM   #14
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsr View Post
I had my '13 F 150 die on me while taking my Fiance to work. Tried several times to restart truck, but no good. Contacted AAA, and had truck towed to Ford Dealer. They checked and vehicle started right up for them. They installed a new battery and said I was good to go.

After getting home (Fiance lived in one City, I in another), I did some online research and found the Fuse 27 problem. Checked fuse #27, which is a mini 20 Amp fuse, and it was burned. I put a new fuse in, but, I didn't trust it to not happen again. The fuse runs the fuel pump.

Bought the kit that relocates the fuel pump fuse to another location and uses a bigger 20 Amp fuse. Had my local Ford Dealer install it, and have had no problems since then.
Hi Bill,

Wow, same truck and camper

Nice that the dealer just shot from the hip and replaced something, rather than actually fix the problem

I ordered the fuse relocation kit (EL3Z-14293-A), that was specified in the TSB, from amazon and will install it myself when it gets here, does not look that complicated.

You should file a complaint with the NHTSA too, maybe if enough folks do that they will force Ford to issue a recall. Hopefully someone does not have to die or get injured first.

-Brian
Old 11-22-2019, 07:38 PM   #15
wiredgeorge

Had an early 80s Mercury Ghia Zephyr which we bought when we came back from 12 years living overseas. Car ran until it didn't. This stuff happened when we took a trip on the Pennsylvania Turnpike. The car would just DIE. Then it would restart. Took it to a Ford/Mercury dealer and they fiddled and said they fixed it. They didn't. Car would just die. The thing ran OK when it ran. Was at a Shell station and complained to the owner about my problem and he said, "Oh yeah, common in those FMC models to have a switch in the gas tank act up." The switch is to turn off fuel if the car tips over I guess. He pulled the tank while I was there and put a new switch in and no problems.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:14 AM   #16
6.2 Superduty

Had a no start on a 2009. I googled no start and fuse 27 was first thing to come up. I change the fuse to a taller fuse and haven't had a problem since. I have the relocation kit but haven't installed it. Any dealer should have been able to diagnose this in two minutes.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:56 PM   #17
skmct

TCM stands for transmission control module.
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:45 AM   #18
mikz86ta

2013 F150 5.0 the girlfriend bought new. Had this same fuse issue. It was a no start issue... occasionally. Never had it die driving....man that's scary!
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:01 PM   #19
crowbar

Thanks so much, Brian for bringing this issue up. I too have a 2013 5.0 F-150 and now made a note of this TSB. If mine screws up at any time, I'll know exactly where to go with it!
crowbar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f150, ford