Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2020, 09:06 AM   #21
jvbutter01

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJQ View Post
You could get by with a slightly smaller one but in case you might consider adding a third panel, then get the one I have. In your geographical area, solar in the summer months is great but falls off RAPIDLY in the fall and spring and is almost nothing in the winter months.
Preface: New to the RV solar thing.
good point you make, all the vids online I have been watching, pictures on posts, show nice sunny locations, AZ NV etc. I'm now wondering how effective solar will be up here. I live in Oregon, yes not much sun here after Oct-April. We did pick up an EU2000i generator for power up. It would be nice to have solar for the recharge, quieter at some camp sites. I don't know if we will really camp in that Oct - April time frame now. However, I never thought I'd pony up to a TT either. Times change.
jvbutter01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:12 AM   #22
flybouy
Site Team

Oregon is pretty low on the solar scale according to this site. https://neo.ne.gov/programs/stats/inf/201.htm
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:09 AM   #23
jvbutter01

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Oregon is pretty low on the solar scale according to this site. https://neo.ne.gov/programs/stats/inf/201.htm
thanks for the link, I wonder if this yearly avg, or when is it... If this is summer time average for max sun for northern hemisphere, I wont even bother getting solar cells.
jvbutter01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 01:54 PM   #24
Canonman

"The sun index was calculated as the average number of hours of peak direct sunlight hours per year from 1960 to 1990."
We have traveled to Oregon several times, mostly using our 200w solar when camping at Tillicum Beach. No hook ups there. No problem keeping the batteries topped off even with only 1/2 day of sun due to the fog.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-1214.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	29026  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 02:24 PM   #25
jvbutter01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
"The sun index was calculated as the average number of hours of peak direct sunlight hours per year from 1960 to 1990."
We have traveled to Oregon several times, mostly using our 200w solar when camping at Tillicum Beach. No hook ups there. No problem keeping the batteries topped off even with only 1/2 day of sun due to the fog.
excellent news. I will continue my quest to build a system for the trailer. I'd rather not use my generator if not needed. Also opens up more dry camp areas.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:04 PM   #26
kenmoffat

Two 100 watt suitcase panels kept us going for 5 days. Clipped directly to batteries.
kenmoffat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery