Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2020, 06:00 AM   #1
German Shepherd Guy

Help please with cable slide out adjustment.

I have a 2018 26RBPR. Has two cable slide outs. Kitchen slide out. When fully extended the top of the room on both sides fully touches the wall. On the bottom however there is a gap. 3/4 of an inch on both the left bottom and the right bottom. Do I need to adjust the slide so that it fully touches the wall when out on both bottom sides?. When retracted it seals properly on the outside walls as best as I can tell. I have the print out of the manual. It says nothing about this and further is as clear as mud as to how to properly tension the cables to achieve the desired results. In other words which cables would I adjust to pull the bottom of the slide out when extended another 3/4 of an inch? It also says it is a "give and take" system. And to assure proper slack in the "opposing cable" when tightening the cable you want. Which is the opposing cable? In other words which cable is opposing to "bottom out" Is it "bottom in" or is it "top out"?

When I first open the slide there seems to be a bit of a hitch to it as it first starts extending. The slight noise and hitch are what got me to looking and to noticing the gap when extended.

So, which cables would I need to tighten to achieve another 3/4 inch of travel on the bottom when extending, and which cables would I need to loosen as the "opposing" cables to allow for that tightening?

I guess my question is as clear as mud too. Sorry this is the best that I can do, hopefully it is understood.
Oak

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 06:58 AM   #2
xrated

If you have this..... https://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/a...ice-manual.pdf
It clearly shows which cables are connected to which edge of the slide that you need to adjust.....top/bottom...in/out, etc. It is something that the more you look at it, the clearer it becomes....hopefully. Look at page 6 in that manual and it tells you exactly which of the 8 adjusters to adjust for the various things. An example, from the picture...upper left side. The cable that is labeled "Red top on adjuster"....That correlates with the adjuster that has a RED label on it and you would be adjusting the top cable on that adjuster....not the bottom one. So the "Blue and Green" adjusters are for bringing the slide in...or retracting the slide for travel. The Red and Purple adjusters are for deploying the slide or putting it out for camping. So, two adjusters on each block and a total of 4 blocks which equals 8 cables.....4 (one on each corner of the slide) for pulling the slide in. 4 more (one on each corner of the slide) for pulling the slide out.

And yes, if the slide is not sealing when fully retracted or extended, it needs adjustment. Page 7, top of the page...that is the very first sentence on that page, then it proceeds to tell you how to make the adjustment.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:05 AM   #3
Gobirds38

YouTube has some good videos in this.

2020 Keystone Passport GT 2521RL 30 FT.
Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH 1000 LBS Bars.
2016 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4X4 All Terrain V8 5.3
Gobirds38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:00 AM   #4
German Shepherd Guy

OK, Xrated: I reread the manual. It still was as clear as mud, but maybe Colorado River mud rather than Misouri River mud. Then I watched the U-tube videos and between the two it made some sense. I have always been a visual learner. I am now through with adjusting the #2 slide and am about to put all the fascia back. That got me to really looking at #1 slide and it too is out at the bottom. Soooo as soon as I get done replacing everything I will start tearing apart the fascia on #2. Thank you and Gobirds38. I am still not convinced I am doing just right but I am getting the job done.
Thanks again.
Oak
The German Shepherd Guy.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:54 PM   #5
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
OK, Xrated: I reread the manual. It still was as clear as mud, but maybe Colorado River mud rather than Misouri River mud. Then I watched the U-tube videos and between the two it made some sense. I have always been a visual learner. I am now through with adjusting the #2 slide and am about to put all the fascia back. That got me to really looking at #1 slide and it too is out at the bottom. Soooo as soon as I get done replacing everything I will start tearing apart the fascia on #2. Thank you and Gobirds38. I am still not convinced I am doing just right but I am getting the job done.
Thanks again.
Oak
The German Shepherd Guy.
GSG .....you might want to kill me for telling you this now, especially if you have already put all the fascia back on.... If the adjusters on your doesn't have jamb nuts or any good way of locking them down after the adjustments you made, they will eventually get out of adjustment again. I'm terribly sorry I forgot to mention this early......I forgot all about it until just now. Anyway, if you don't, I would recommend that you buy enough 1/4-20 machine nuts so that you can add them on the adjuster rods. No need to make any additional adjustments, just spin the nut on and using two wrenches, jamb the new nut up to the old one to insure that your adjustment does not move. Get enough for both slides......16 minimum....and one more for the one you will drop and never find again (that's what I do). Again, sorry I didn't think of it earlier.

Make sure that you do leave enough "slack" in the cables so that the cable tension can be flexed up and down 5/8 to 3/4". This should always be measured when a slide is all the way in....or all the way out. When it's all the way in, the cable that you can see inside the RV will need that slack. When the slide is all the way out, the cables that you can see along side of the slide, outside the RV will need that slack....so it's aptly named a "give and take" system.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, slide, slide out