Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2020, 06:39 AM   #1
Johnsmack

Carbon 347 heater issues

Do i have to pull the entire heater out of the trailer in order to replace the sail switch?

I cannot find any access to the furnace other than a small exhaust port on the side of the trailer.

Am i missing something or is the heater in these units a non service unit?

So far i have had this trailer for 6 months and have had: broken thermostat, wouldnt run 2nd ac unit, heater ducting wasnt connected to the heater distribution box, breaker on 6 point leveling keeps switching off when using the jacks, and now the heater stopped working all together.

We have camped a total of 5-6 days since buying in august and have had one issue after another.
Johnsmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 06:48 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Unfortunately yes you do. You’ll have to turn off the propane, and probably cut 4 wires. Look for the return grill and it will come out that way.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 07:42 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsmack View Post
Do i have to pull the entire heater out of the trailer in order to replace the sail switch?

I cannot find any access to the furnace other than a small exhaust port on the side of the trailer.

Am i missing something or is the heater in these units a non service unit?

So far i have had this trailer for 6 months and have had: broken thermostat, wouldnt run 2nd ac unit, heater ducting wasnt connected to the heater distribution box, breaker on 6 point leveling keeps switching off when using the jacks, and now the heater stopped working all together.

We have camped a total of 5-6 days since buying in august and have had one issue after another.

You say that you've had the trailer 6 months and numerous issues. It looks like, from another post, your trailer is a 2018 model. If you bought it new, 6 months ago, haul it to the dealer and have them fix it under warranty. If you bought it used, there are two paths: First, the previous owner had numerous problems and got tired of dealing with them, so he just sold/traded the trailer to escape the issues.... OR second, he had no issues at all (or very few) and your issues are related more to how the dealer let the trailer sit, prepped it for delivery to you, and the issues you're having are not "trailer issues but maintenance/preparation issues"...

What I mean by the second suggestion is this: Without knowing what "numerous issues are" it's difficult to pinpoint any single "source of problems" however, if most are "things electrical" then your "irritable parts" may all be electrical related. If the old owner traded it in and the trailer sat on the dealer's lot for 6 months (not connected to electric power AND with the batteries installed) then the batteries are "toast". If, when you bought it, the dealer "stuck the trailer on a battery charger, charged them up and sent you on your way" then you may not be having "furnace issues" but rather you're having "battery issues".

So, before you start "ripping the furnace out to replace the sail switch on a trailer that never had furnace problems (before it sat on the dealer's lot and the batteries were toasted".... I'd suggest you address just how "reliable your batteries are".... This may not be a furnace problem and some/many of the "numerous other problems" may also be directly related to "discharged batteries that won't hold a charge and can't provide the power required to operate any of the trailer systems.....

If, on the other hand, you've installed "adequate, new batteries and the systems still don't work after verifying the converter/charger is operational and it's NOT a battery problem, then yes, you've got to pull the furnace out to access the sail switch in nearly every furnace installation.

The issues you listed (that I bolded in this response) are all directly related to a single source, low/discharged/bad cell/shorted battery problems... While the batteries may not be your source of problems, every one of the bolded issues CAN be caused by a battery that won't hold a charge/won't accept a charge.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 08:31 AM   #4
Johnsmack

Bit of back story on my trailer may help here. It is technically used, guy bought it, took it home, hit a tree, scratched the roof up and some of the side then took it back and traded it for a motorhome the next year.

2 new batteries in parallel
Ran generator
Check propane pressures
changed the thermostat (still had old one that wouldnt run the 2nd ac)

First night the heater died i changed over propane tanks and it fired up. Ran 1 cycle and wouldnt fire again.

Changed thermostat heater fired up for 1 cycle then same thing, wouldnt fire. Hasnt fired up since. Had to use space heaters to get through the weekend.

Heater has been working fine all winter when ever i would go out and randomly fire it up in my yard, even down to as cold as -25*C
Old 04-14-2020, 10:14 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Those furnace issues, the "thermostat (which operates on 12 VDC), and the blown circuit breakers when using the leveling system are all issues that can be directly related to "weak/discharged/defective batteries"..

Have you had the batteries removed from the trailer, charged on a separate battery charger AND load tested by a competent battery shop? If not, before "tearing into the trailer guts" I'd strongly suggest a complete battery inspection/testing. New batteries can/have failed "right out of the box" AND, while the batteries are being checked, be sure that all of the battery connections (both POS and NEG) are tightly connected, clean/no corrosion from the battery cables to the 30,40 and 80 amp mini breakers on the trailer bulkhead AND don't forget to check the connections on the battery cutoff switch.

The "furnace will fire, run one cycle then shut down and won't start again until the thermostat is "cycled/changed" sounds more like a limit switch or a voltage issue (fan not running fast enough) than a sail switch issue. If it were the sail
switch, it likely wouldn't work even the first time, but if it does work the first time and not the next cycle, it's likely fan speed (voltage issue) rather than the sail switch not making contact at the proper time.

None of this may be a source of your problems, but before I started tearing into the furnace, especially with the previous history, I'd make certain that the batteries and 12 volt wiring aren't contributing to (or causing) the problems.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-14-2020, 10:31 AM   #6
Johnsmack

Thanks man, i will definatly start there. The more i read your responses the more i am leaning towards the battery issue. Ill check it out and report back
Old 04-14-2020, 10:44 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Sounds good. Checking "accessible batteries" is so much easier than "digging out a hidden furnace".... I'm hoping it save you lots of grief and you find the problem without disassembling the trailer....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
heat, heater