Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2019, 04:43 AM   #21
RaptorJB

Always had Chevys, 1500s, 2500s, Corvettes, Camaros... so me switching over to RAM my buds were in shock I just wanted to new feel to the inside, having a Cummins Diesel would be awesome! So I made the switch back in 2016 to a 3500 Megacab 4x4 Cummins Longhorn. Think they used one whole cow inside as leather is everywhere, just super nice and better than any Corvette I had. Cummins is awesome, the exhaust break is even more awesome.

Had plenty of recalls, but dealer fix all of them.
My butt warmer on my side doesn't work anymore, so I'll need to get that fixed soon. Other than that no issues at all...

What's not cool?
Dealer price on maintenance, oil changes, fuel filter changes, DEF service, injector service, front and rear axle services, transmission service.
Just my 2cents... JB
Curt Q24 5th Wheel Hitch Slider
RaptorJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:00 AM   #22
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorJB View Post
Always had Chevys, 1500s, 2500s, Corvettes, Camaros... so me switching over to RAM my buds were in shock I just wanted to new feel to the inside, having a Cummins Diesel would be awesome! So I made the switch back in 2016 to a 3500 Megacab 4x4 Cummins Longhorn. Think they used one whole cow inside as leather is everywhere, just super nice and better than any Corvette I had. Cummins is awesome, the exhaust break is even more awesome.

Had plenty of recalls, but dealer fix all of them.
My butt warmer on my side doesn't work anymore, so I'll need to get that fixed soon. Other than that no issues at all...

What's not cool?
Dealer price on maintenance, oil changes, fuel filter changes, DEF service, injector service, front and rear axle services, transmission service.
Just my 2cents... JB
If you buy a Ford or Chevy diesel, you will look at all the same costs for maintenance, oil changes, fuel filter changes, DEF, injector, axle and tranny services. All trucks with heavy front ends (diesels in particular) kill front ends especially if driven over rough roads.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:27 AM   #23
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
Starting to look at replacing my Silverado. With almost 50k miles and nothing wrong, ever, I'm happy with Chevy.
But, I'm not a fan of cylinder deactivation and the 2020's kill the engine when you stop. Sure there is a button to over ride that but you have to press it every time you start the truck. I would find this annoying.
I'm thinking about a 2020 Ram 1500 quad cab. But I worry about FCA's quality.

Rather than trusting Consumer Reports or some such nonsense I thought I'd ask the people who do what I need a truck for.

Please no flame wars.
I don't want a Ford because I can't get heated cloth seats and auto climate control.
Yes, I'm happy with Chevy but I want a new truck.

I would like to just hear from RAM owners.
Well based on the OP's statment I would assume he is looking for a 1500/150. While we can compare trim levels between a 1500/150 to a 250/2500 or 350/3500, don't think the OP is looking for a diesel.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:51 AM   #24
KSH

Ram 1500 eco diesel.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:22 AM   #25
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well based on the OP's statment I would assume he is looking for a 1500/150. While we can compare trim levels between a 1500/150 to a 250/2500 or 350/3500, don't think the OP is looking for a diesel.
You are right. I was responding to a person who was talking diesel If it is a 1/2 ton and you need heated seats and such I will bow out as I have never owned this type truck. Heated seats in south Texas don't seem like a necessity to me bwhahahaha And you can't wash out your cab with leather seats and carpet on the floor! Vinyl floor and seats are the way to go in a truck! If you want cushy, buy a BMW or Studebaker or something!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:10 AM   #26
ronheater70

Love it, But

I'm on my second Ram.. Why the heck I bought a second one I dunno.
I love this truck, I bought it mainly because it was the last year available with the g56 6 speed manual tranny (2018). Prior to that I had a 2016 2500 with a 6.4 that I grew to absolutely loathe. That truck should never leave the factory with the 3:73 rear end. Between that Rear gear set and the overly large gap between first and second, towing anything even near it's limit was about as painful as could be..Stupid, STUPID design.. Glad they finally wised up and put the 8 speed in them .

My experience with Ram, and the experience with Many folks on related Ram truck forums, is that Ram service and warranty are absolutely pathetic.
Any issue you take it in for, theres a fair chance they will simply tell you " they all do that" and attempt to send you on your way.

For me, 5 months fighting over a whining rear diff in a new truck.." It's normal".
Engine smoking on a new truck " That's normal, these hemi's smoke sometimes"
Engine ticking loudly " See above response on Hemi."

Nothing ever got resolved, nothing ever gets escalated.

Oh I do like the fact they tried to tell me the clutch pack in my 2500 rear diff needed replacing, that would take care of the whining. Noone in service INCLUDING the Director, seemed to know that the HD pickups have the worm gear Anti spin diffeerential and not the clutch setup limited dlip that was in the 1/2 tons.

Now on to my BRAND new 3500.. And I take it in for an oil change and what do they do, they WELD THE DANG DRAG LINK.. Yup they Weld an part meant to be completely adjustable instead of replacing it with a more robust part.

Now to Top it off, A Guy on the Cummins Forum had his welded as part of the recal and when he got an alignment, they wanted him to pay to grind of the weld ( THEY PUT ON) to adjust his steering wheel..

I love my truck, but I will NEVER own another Ram, the service, dealer support and monthly recalls are just insane.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:33 AM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
I'm on my second Ram.. Why the heck I bought a second one I dunno.
I love this truck, I bought it mainly because it was the last year available with the g56 6 speed manual tranny (2018). Prior to that I had a 2016 2500 with a 6.4 that I grew to absolutely loathe. That truck should never leave the factory with the 3:73 rear end. Between that Rear gear set and the overly large gap between first and second, towing anything even near it's limit was about as painful as could be..Stupid, STUPID design.. Glad they finally wised up and put the 8 speed in them .

My experience with Ram, and the experience with Many folks on related Ram truck forums, is that Ram service and warranty are absolutely pathetic.
Any issue you take it in for, theres a fair chance they will simply tell you " they all do that" and attempt to send you on your way.

For me, 5 months fighting over a whining rear diff in a new truck.." It's normal".
Engine smoking on a new truck " That's normal, these hemi's smoke sometimes"
Engine ticking loudly " See above response on Hemi."

Nothing ever got resolved, nothing ever gets escalated.

Oh I do like the fact they tried to tell me the clutch pack in my 2500 rear diff needed replacing, that would take care of the whining. Noone in service INCLUDING the Director, seemed to know that the HD pickups have the worm gear Anti spin diffeerential and not the clutch setup limited dlip that was in the 1/2 tons.

Now on to my BRAND new 3500.. And I take it in for an oil change and what do they do, they WELD THE DANG DRAG LINK.. Yup they Weld an part meant to be completely adjustable instead of replacing it with a more robust part.

Now to Top it off, A Guy on the Cummins Forum had his welded as part of the recal and when he got an alignment, they wanted him to pay to grind of the weld ( THEY PUT ON) to adjust his steering wheel..

I love my truck, but I will NEVER own another Ram, the service, dealer support and monthly recalls are just insane.

I have the truck in my signature and I've had 3-4 recalls since I bought it new if I recall (that I had to take it in for). I did have nav added to the Uconnect 8.4 that didn't come with it but that was on me.

My engine has never smoked but it did smell like it was using coolant at one time when new. They did say that the "6.4 did that" but it used next to nothing in coolant and has now stopped. Just took it in yesterday (and got it back in 1 1/2hrs.) to fix a possible faulty tailgate latch. The jump from 1st to 2nd with the 3.73 (mine) is pretty big but nothing the truck can't handle with a reasonable load in tow/haul. My trailer is 10k gvw (about 9200 give or take loaded) and that's all that powertrain wants, or that I want to put on it. Over 10k needs a diesel IMO. At 82k mine does have a bit of rear end whine but I've never owned a truck that I used for pulling that didn't develop some sort of rear noise. At least it's not spitting out u joints or ring and pinions like a couple I've had (not Ram/Dodge).

I'm wondering if what you're experiencing is more of a dealer situation vs a Ram/manufacturer thing - sort of like Rvers? Anyway, I know everyone has different experiences and opinions but a new Ram is very much in my near future and hope you have better luck with whatever you choose.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:58 AM   #28
ronheater70

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I have the truck in my signature and I've had 3-4 recalls since I bought it new if I recall (that I had to take it in for). I did have nav added to the Uconnect 8.4 that didn't come with it but that was on me.

My engine has never smoked but it did smell like it was using coolant at one time when new. They did say that the "6.4 did that" but it used next to nothing in coolant and has now stopped. Just took it in yesterday (and got it back in 1 1/2hrs.) to fix a possible faulty tailgate latch. The jump from 1st to 2nd with the 3.73 (mine) is pretty big but nothing the truck can't handle with a reasonable load in tow/haul. My trailer is 10k gvw (about 9200 give or take loaded) and that's all that powertrain wants, or that I want to put on it. Over 10k needs a diesel IMO. At 82k mine does have a bit of rear end whine but I've never owned a truck that I used for pulling that didn't develop some sort of rear noise. At least it's not spitting out u joints or ring and pinions like a couple I've had (not Ram/Dodge).

I'm wondering if what you're experiencing is more of a dealer situation vs a Ram/manufacturer thing - sort of like Rvers? Anyway, I know everyone has different experiences and opinions but a new Ram is very much in my near future and hope you have better luck with whatever you choose.
I Agree completely it's more a dealer thing then Ram in general, But having 3 dealers within 45 minutes from me and not getting any relief and then reading similar stories leads me to believe that when it gets rough Ram just doesnt stand behind their product. I have owned Ford previously and those dealers were fantastic in My area. Sure, experience will differ by region, etc.

Yea, I understand that after some severe use, a rear diff could be prone to make some noise, butnot after 1200 miles.. A rear diff should be 100% silent.. Zero Noise, at least until its well worn! And for Techs to think thats normal, I was flabbergasted.

BUT, Yea I do absolutely Love this truck, it is by far my most favorite vehicle I have ever owned.. I lvoe the manual tranny, the ride, the torque. Very Stable! I just wish I could get it serviced and warrantied by the Ford ealers in my area. I hope to keep this truck for years to come!
Old 10-09-2019, 06:44 PM   #29
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
You are right. I was responding to a person who was talking diesel If it is a 1/2 ton and you need heated seats and such I will bow out as I have never owned this type truck. Heated seats in south Texas don't seem like a necessity to me bwhahahaha And you can't wash out your cab with leather seats and carpet on the floor! Vinyl floor and seats are the way to go in a truck! If you want cushy, buy a BMW or Studebaker or something!
I am sorry, many mid to upper trim levels come with heated and COOLED leather seats.
As to rubber mats and vinyl seats, not when our TV is our only vehicle! We full time and DW and I didn't like her chasing when we traveled so we have a nicely trimmed 2016 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:18 PM   #30
Pmedic4

Second RAM Truck

Currently on my second RAM, a 2500 Big Horn. My first RAM was a 1500 also Big Horn trim level, and I loved it, and couldn't have asked for a better choice. The ride on the 1500 was the most comfortable ride in any truck I owned, having owned several GMC/Chevy trucks previously, adding those were prior to comfortable ride being a consideration for a truck. Importantly, I've never experienced a problem with either RAM, and while it's been years, I don't even remember a problem on the GM products either. As someone else has mentioned, there have been recalls on my RAM trucks, but I never experienced the problems initiated for the recalls. Started with a small fiver which came close to the limits of the truck, so I upgraded to the 2500.

Gone was the comfortable ride, I'm back to a TRUCK. It is a gasser, which limits it's power for hills/mountain area, but I haven't had a problem, and not really planning on doing big mountains. The price difference was the deciding factor for me, as they really negotiated on the gasser, but the diesel, NOPE! The difference between my choices was about $15,000, so it was easy to decide, as I'm just a part-timer and only tow about 3000 miles a year.

The truck is 4 years old now, and right at 60,000 miles, couldn't have expected more out of this vehicle.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:39 AM   #31
pdaniel

Fourth Ram truck, a 2016 3500 with the HO Cummins and Aisin transmission. Nothing wrong with the previous 3, but, as my RVs get bigger and heavier I needed more towing capacity and power. I have had three recalls on this truck, but, no other issues. I have a maintenance contract with the dealership and they use synthetic oil. The only modification I did was install aftermarket airbags to eliminate sag when towing the 5th wheel.
As I am on my fourth, I was content with Ram and just stayed with the brand. However, had the dealer not had the powertrain I wanted I would have looked at the GM brands and Ford.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:48 AM   #32
jeepjrn

In the same boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
Starting to look at replacing my Silverado. With almost 50k miles and nothing wrong, ever, I'm happy with Chevy.
But, I'm not a fan of cylinder deactivation and the 2020's kill the engine when you stop. Sure there is a button to over ride that but you have to press it every time you start the truck. I would find this annoying.
I'm thinking about a 2020 Ram 1500 quad cab. But I worry about FCA's quality.

Rather than trusting Consumer Reports or some such nonsense I thought I'd ask the people who do what I need a truck for.

Please no flame wars.
I don't want a Ford because I can't get heated cloth seats and auto climate control.
Yes, I'm happy with Chevy but I want a new truck.

I would like to just hear from RAM owners.
I’m pretty much in the same boat as you, recently retired and looking to pound the highways pretty hard in the next coming years so looking to replace my 2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax (110,000miles). I came from a Ford F-150 (which is still my favorite all time truck to date) but when looking at Super Duty’s there was about a 6-7 thousand dollar cost penalty over the Chevy HD optioned out similar, hence my having a Chevy. I’ve never really considered a Ram for no particular mechanical reason other then I’m not particularly fond of their looks, just a little too much bling for my old classic tastes. But I’ll offer up an observation from our attendance at the Montana Owners Club national rally in Goshen. Of my 10 days there among 200 campers I did myself an impromptu survey of the trucks in attendance. Upon my count riding around in a golf cart for the 10 days my rough count was about 45-50% Ford, 35-40% GMC/Chevy, 10-15% Ram, kinda kept me thinking either Chevy or Ford dependent upon final deal. Nothing against Ram and not looking to start wars as they’re all great trucks I’m sure. But being that I’m not specific brand loyal, it’s just my opinion for my taste and wallet.
jeepjrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:05 AM   #33
Bamabox

2015 Ram 3500 SLT. Wasn’t really in the market for a 3500, but it was a leftover in black and an offer I couldn’t refuse. It’s been very reliable. Don’t put a lot of miles on it, but tow the 21RBS, tow my open race car trailer, and plow and sand my driveway (and only my driveway) like an Egyptian slave all winter. Previously had Fords, race a Mustang, but between the great deal, the reliable hemi, and what I considered a superior interior to a Ford, bought the Ram. No regrets. Get a little grief from my fellow Mustang drag racers towing with the Ram. Oh well.

2015 Ram 3500 SLT 5.7 Hemi
Bamabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:07 AM   #34
Whitewolf

The only reason I still don't have the Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi is the simple fact we went to a 5r that was too much for that truck. Went with the 3500 based on how much I liked the 1500.

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:14 AM   #35
Carlosmodesto

We purchased our first Dodge in 1994 and kept in until 2012. Some issues but nothing of importance.

Our 2012 Ram Laramie Longhorn, fully loaded has been great except one issue. The EGR light came on. The dealer quoted us $2700 to fix it.

I did it my self with $69 including changing the crankshaft sensor. That was 5000 miles ago. Do I recommend Ram, absolutely. I have not own any of the other major trucks, so I can not voice a first hand opinion.
Turbo Diesel 6.7
06 Yamaha Midnight Silverado 1700
07 Yamaha Classic 650
Carlosmodesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:38 AM   #36
hankpage
Site Team

I am amazed that some folks change trucks as often as babies diapers. I have had two Ram/Cummins 2500s since '94. My '94 was my favorite truck of all I have owned but for long trips the standard cab was not enough room and the completely mechanical 160 hp was not going to cut it as trailers got heavier. Sold it to a local landscaper who is still using it. My '04.5 is a quadcab (more room) and HO common rail electronic 325 hp 600 ftlb ( enough power for me) looks like it may outlive me.
Both trucks needed front end work at about 90k but aftermarket greaseable parts solved that and the '94 needed a beefed up torque converter at 110k.

Looking at the prices on new trucks and the experience I have had with mine I would go with Ram/Cummins again if I had to. JM2¢, Hank

hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:26 AM   #37
bobbyt7700

Love my RAM 1500 Big Horn SLT

Hello,
I’m on my 2nd RAM 1500 and had no major issues. Although I’m not a big fan of the rotary dial knob for the 8 spd transmission, the transmission is really smooth and runs well. The dial knob is not a manly truck thing but I’m use to it. When I shopped for 1/2 ton pick-ups I test drove all three domestic brands and drove them on rough roads and over a railroad track and found the RAM to perform the best. I did the 1/2 cup of water in a paper cup test and passed with flying colors. I’ve got the cloth seats and they do very well with spills, etc. I love my 2014 RAM and would not hesitate to buy another RAM in the future. Hope this helps!
bobbyt7700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:46 AM   #38
Hexnut

I have had 4 Ram trucks and would buy another. They have gotten better each time. I am sure the build quality is very similar among all 3, but for HD towing I prefer the Cummins. I have never had a Ram 1500 gasser so I can't comment on that, but I will say my heavy dually likely gets as good fuel economy as do most gas 1/2 ton pickups.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:59 AM   #39
Phil Saran

I own a 2012 Ram 3500 6.7 SB 4x4 Laramie.
Bought it in May 2018 with 46K and now has 68K.
I did not want to deal with DEF and this was in my budget.
Love my truck, love the exhaust brake.

I had a 2004 Ford F350 6.0 LB 4x4 finally had to sell it could not afford to
keep repairing it.
Colorado
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 02:25 PM   #40
duh1

Look up dodge ram death rattle. Scared the heck out of me in my son's ram 3500 diesel. Thought the right front tire had gone. This is a known problem that can be a real b!!! To deal with. I love my Chevy 2500 diesel. Put 80,000 miles on
It pulling 6500 lbs and it is a dream.
duh1 is offline   Reply With Quote