Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
Nudels2u75

Heat Pump-Or Electric heat strip

I want to purchase the additional AC/Heat for front of Camper above 5th wheel...I do not know much about AC/Heat but I was told the one with the Heat Pump on it actually runs better and is better equipped. The one with the heat strip I could add it myself. Has anybody done any research on this.
thanks
Nudels2u75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
jbsmith

IMO the heat strips are useless, but YMMV. I added one to our 24 ft hybrid. I think they help take the chill off, but certainly aren't enough to provide a primary source of heat. You'll be better served with an electric ceramic heater.

2012 Keystone Cougar 331MKS
2018 RAM 3500 Laramie 6.7L DRW
B&W Companion
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
Bob Landry

The heat pump and straight cool models are made using the same components as far as the compressor, evaporator, condenser and fan. The difference is that the heat pump will have a reversing vale which does nothing but redirect the flow of refrigerant through the system and the necessary control circuits to operate it.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
chuck&gail

Heat pumps are great, heat strips are worthless IMO. Heat pumps work great for temps above 40 degrees, below that use your furnace. Sure saves propane.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

In a "very cold" environment, heat strips may not work well (limited BTU's) but in the southeast (Louisiana and Mississippi) we found that the one in our Holiday Rambler worked "too well" on most nights. We would go to bed with the heat strip on and the A/C fan on low and about midnight or so, we'd wake up thirsty and kicking the covers off. I'd usually wind up turning it off around 2 or 3 AM. In the morning, we'd turn on the furnace for a couple minutes to take the chill off, then just use the heat strip for the rest of the day. Of course that was in temps around 40 - 60. Any colder and I'd agree, heat strips probably wouldn't be enough to stay warm in a larger RV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
ktmracer

the heat strips or heat pump really serve two different purposes.

The heat strips are about 1500watts, 4500BTU, basically the same thing as a portable electric heater. Our experience is that once the trailer is up to temp, the heatstrip will keep it warm, and since we have ducted air, heatstrip air is also ducted and the whole trailer stays warm, and it is on the same thermostat. So, in our experience better than a small portable electric heater, but more expensive.

A heat pump is really another "furnace", BTU output should be in the same range as AC, something near 13-15K BTU so more of a substitute for a propane furnace.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:45 AM   #7
Nudels2u75

Where is the place to buy

I would like to purchase a coleman, with a heat pump, where is the best place to get it at, local dealership here in Davinport quoted me $1,500.00 installed. I think that may be a bit high.

I have seen them on the internet for around $900.00 plus shipping...
Nudels2u75 is offline   Reply With Quote