Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
turbopilot51

Satellite connection on 2012 Alpine 3500re

I am looking to purchase portable satellite for our fiver and was doing some preliminary inspecting trying to figure out how the Alpine was wired. I understand the satellite jack in the water works area. I found the connection in the bedroom and under the front storage area. I notice in the entertainment center there are two jacks behind the tv. Any advice from fellow Alpine owners who have mastered the satellite connection?
Always looking for more power, the next add-on goodie, the perfect camping spot, spending more time camping with dw.
turbopilot51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
CarKath

One port is to connect to your sat receiver. The other would be used to back feed to the bedroom.

IE: connect one cable from jack to sat receiver then out from receiver to tv in living room. I have a port on back side of receiver to feed another room. I ran a cable from there to other port and that feeds bedroom tv.

Geo has a few posts on this topic. Maybe search his posts. If he doesn't have a chance to add here.

Hope this helps.
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
DocData757

They wired Alpines at least 2 different ways. Mine has 2 connections in the bedroom that I had to jumper so the living room connection would work. A friend that has the same Alpine did not have this setup.
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
turbopilot51

I notice two connections behind the tv in living area. I see one in bedroom and one in the storage area. Keystone sent me a drawing that looks like a second grader drew it. Not much help.
Always looking for more power, the next add-on goodie, the perfect camping spot, spending more time camping with dw.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
DocData757

I got a drawing too (same grade level) and mine showed the 2 connections in the bedroom that had to be jumpered.

I have 2 behind the TV in the living room but one is satellite and one is cable.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
turbopilot51

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocData757 View Post
I got a drawing too (same grade level) and mine showed the 2 connections in the bedroom that had to be jumpered.

I have 2 behind the TV in the living room but one is satellite and one is cable.
I have two for satellite in living area beside the regular cable. In the bedroom there is two connections(one for cable and one for satellite). One also in the front storage compartment.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
DocData757

OK, so I have 3 in the bedroom... 1 for cable ( that is the amp'd connection) and 2 others for satellite that had to be jumpered. I have 2 in the LR, 1 for cable and the other for satellite. It sounds like. you have the same config as my friend.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #8
turbopilot51

Quote:
OK, so I have 3 in the bedroom... 1 for cable ( that is the amp'd connection) and 2 others for satellite that had to be jumpered. I have 2 in the LR, 1 for cable and the other for satellite. It sounds like. you have the same config as my friend.
You have to love the consistency of Keystone's wiring. I'm sure the other manufacture's are about par. You would think that by giving them your vin number, Keystone could better explain the wiring diagrams.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #9
CarKath

Bedroom ports. 1 OTA, 1 Sat, 1 Cable?

In mine ,sat and cable are combined and works. Ota is seperate. I do have separate ports in water works area for 2 connections.

OTA= over the air

I am sure they are all wired different, but not far off from one another.
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #10
DocData757

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot51 View Post
You have to love the consistency of Keystone's wiring. I'm sure the other manufacture's are about par. You would think that by giving them your vin number, Keystone could better explain the wiring diagrams.
When I talked to Keystone about it, giving them my VIN, the drawing they sent me was correct for my rig. I've attached it. On the far right there is a 'small coax loop' that refers to the jumper. I wonder what 'Pre 780014' refers to?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alpine Sat.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	1405  
Old 06-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #11
geo

Turbopilot51 -

I will try to be some help here, but no guarantees. Our Alpines could be totally wired differently as you know! On mine, the Satellite connection RG-6 at the WaterWorks goes into a blind access and seems to come out inside the Entertainment Center at a double coax port. However, one would have to place the receiver on the Center and reach down where the TV emerges to connect it each time to use it! I used a short HDMI cable and connected it to the TV each time we used it.

When I was testing to see what RG-6 cable ran where, it appeared that the single coax above the bedroom TV was connected down below in the utility basement to a splitter, and the split also ran to the outside connection in the storage basement. The input to that splitter seemed to run back to the Entertainment Center, to the coax port I never used, but assumed I could for bedroom cable. At least, there was multimeter continuity between that splitter input coax end and the coax port in the EC. Now that I see Dave's diagram, I wonder if that coax now is a signal out to the TV!

Actually, this makes me glad I did the next step! I wasn't really happy with the whole set up, as it was. So, when I was delving into the Underbody, etc., I ran a separate RG-6 that goes directly from the WaterWorks area, through the underbody, up the slide access, and into the EC. I then pulled that coax, while I was pulling other cables, up through the slide wall so I could put my satellite box in the overhead cabinet! I then ran a couple of HDMI cables back down the slide wall and connected them to the HDMI input of the Samsung TV. One HDMI for satellite, and one HDMI for Roku.

Now you have me wondering if I couldn't take that output and run it back into the cable TV line and have it come out on the bedroom TV! I'll have to look! Goody! Another project! If I were you, Dave and Turbopilot51, I would avoid my DW . . . she's ready for my projects to end!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #12
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
When I talked to Keystone about it, giving them my VIN, the drawing they sent me was correct for my rig. I've attached it. On the far right there is a 'small coax loop' that refers to the jumper. I wonder what 'Pre 780014' refers to?
If I understand this drawing, the output of the SAT receiver (source to the TV) is expected to be coax (like the kind you have to put your TV on '4'), and then that is split to entertainment center TV.... And then the other side of the split goes back into the wall and ultimately shared by the outside TV and the bedroom TV??
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote