Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2022, 03:25 PM   #1
KinCA

Question Onboard Fuel Station 2005 Tailgator

2005 Keystone Tailgator (21')

Gas tank has been sitting for about 2 years. Gas was emptied before storage but when a hose was inserted it was discovered that there is a thin layer of "gunk" from the old gas. I want to clean it out, my plan is to put a few gallons of fresh gas + seafoam into the tank and circulate it with the onboard fuel station.

I've never used an onboard fuel station and do not know how to operate it. Is there a timer on this model? Just an on switch? Inside/outside?

In San Diego
2005 Keystone Tailgator
2000 Ford F250 Super Duity
KinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 04:45 PM   #2
notanlines

The pickup tube of the tank will not reach the bottom. Be very, very wary of what’s left in the bottom after two years.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 05:02 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Can't offer any help on the location of your switch. As for a 2 year old tank, nothing less than a full flush and drain. If there's no drain plug then remove the tank and dump it out. These days with ethanol gas the gas goes bad and collects water easily. IMO it's better to remove it, fluch the tanks, flush the fuel lines, pump and if you have an on-board generator remove and clean the carbonator. I don't know of an easier method to ensure all the junk is removed.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:28 PM   #4
Essvar

I don’t know your specific model, but my last hauler that vintage (sandpiper sport) had the power switch inside and then the usual lever on the fuel station to turn the pump on.

As others have said, do NOT trust a tank that has had unknown fuel in it for 2 years. Drop the tank, clean it and reinstall. If you don’t, you risk chasing issues for the lifetime of the tank. After it’s clean I highly suggest only putting non-ethanol fuel in your onboard tank.
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 08:16 AM   #5
KinCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essvar View Post
I don’t know your specific model, but my last hauler that vintage (sandpiper sport) had the power switch inside and then the usual lever on the fuel station to turn the pump on.

As others have said, do NOT trust a tank that has had unknown fuel in it for 2 years. Drop the tank, clean it and reinstall. If you don’t, you risk chasing issues for the lifetime of the tank. After it’s clean I highly suggest only putting non-ethanol fuel in your onboard tank.
Thank you. I'm not sure of the model either, it is 21' if that helps any.

I do see the lever on the station but haven't found the power switch. Knowing that there is likely a separate power switch is helpful, I'll keep looking.

As for the old tank, that is exactly why I want to get the pump working. I plan to add a few gallons of gas treated with a 4oz:1Gal ratio of seafoam to gas to flush it. Would circulating it using the fuel station cause harm to the fuel station itself? Would I be better off to try and syphon instead? I have no drain and can't drop it myself.

I just replaced the carb on the generator (that only has 5 hours on it!) as it was left sitting after the initial use and clogged. I'm using an external tank with fresh gas and clean lines for now until I am satisfied the main tank is safe.

In San Diego
2005 Keystone Tailgator
Old 01-27-2022, 08:23 AM   #6
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinCA View Post
As for the old tank, that is exactly why I want to get the pump working. I plan to add a few gallons of gas treated with a 4oz:1Gal ratio of seafoam to gas to flush it. Would circulating it using the fuel station cause harm to the fuel station itself? Would I be better off to try and syphon instead? I have no drain and can't drop it myself.

Running fuel through the fuel station won't do much for removing gunk from the bottom of the tank. If you can't drop the tank to clean it, I'd do something along the lines of pouring straight seafoam in there and drive around for awhile to slosh that tank around. Then add some fuel and run the fuel station and discard whatever comes out.
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:29 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

"Thank you. I'm not sure of the model either, it is 21' if that helps any."

The trailer "model number" is located two places on your trailer. First is a decal, usually located by the front entry door and the other location is on the weight certification decal that's located on the roadside front corner of the trailer.

If both of those are missing, if you can find a brochure from that year or from a close to that year and brand, you can compare floorplans to usually come up with the model number.

Failing that, with the VIN, you can call Keystone RV at (866) 425-4369 or send them an email from their website: https://www.keystonerv.com/contact-us and provide them the VIN. They will give you the model, date of manufacture and can provide quite a bit of additional information about the trailer "when it left the factory"... They cannot provide any "trailer history" such as repairs, maintenance or ownership...

Here's examples of both. In the top one, the trailer is a Cougar 34TSB and in the second, it's a Cruiser XT-245
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer model decal.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	38065   Click image for larger version

Name:	TRAILER WEIGHT STICKER.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	38066  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:49 AM   #8
KinCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
"Thank you. I'm not sure of the model either, it is 21' if that helps any."

The trailer "model number" is located two places on your trailer. First is a decal, usually located by the front entry door and the other location is on the weight certification decal that's located on the roadside front corner of the trailer.

If both of those are missing, if you can find a brochure from that year or from a close to that year and brand, you can compare floorplans to usually come up with the model number.

Failing that, with the VIN, you can call Keystone RV at (866) 425-4369 or send them an email from their website: https://www.keystonerv.com/contact-us and provide them the VIN. They will give you the model, date of manufacture and can provide quite a bit of additional information about the trailer "when it left the factory"... They cannot provide any "trailer history" such as repairs, maintenance or ownership...

Here's examples of both. In the top one, the trailer is a Cougar 34TSB and in the second, it's a Cruiser XT-245
Thank you! I'll check it out when I get home.

In San Diego
2005 Keystone Tailgator

Tags
fuel