Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2022, 10:49 AM   #21
Shawna

Okay thanks I’ll look into that
Shawna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 10:51 AM   #22
Shawna

It’s a 2015 Laredo. If I did replace the toilet what toilet would you recommend instead cause this design is just stupid in the first place. Yeh I have really hard water and it’s already been double filtered.
Old 02-14-2022, 10:52 AM   #23
Shawna

Calm down there it’s just calcium from the hard water. Nothing to gag over.
Old 02-14-2022, 10:54 AM   #24
Shawna

Okay drill bit got it
Old 02-14-2022, 10:56 AM   #25
Shawna

It’s calcium we have super hard water. Does the same thing in my parents house as well. I’m going to try cleaning it but I really think the pressure is too high as well or their might be some calcium in the lines adding pressure. I don’t know I’ll look into that technique as well to see if it will help
Old 02-14-2022, 10:57 AM   #26
wiredgeorge

Shawna, Please quote the post you are replying to. You posted several times and there is no context regarding what you were referring to in those posts. Thanks. We have super hard water from our well and have a very expensive water softener system and use a reverse osmosis at the sink for coffee and such.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 10:59 AM   #27
Shawna

The OP has been extremely stressed out between the toilet, the mice, college and winter kicking me out of my camper. I’m ready now though. I don’t have the city water connected because the valve is broken so I need to replace it and get a hose. I also prefer having the tank full to weigh down the camper because we get very high winds and even then it will still tilt sometimes. I’m buying the stuff for the city water I’m just waiting for winter to end so nothing freezes.
Old 02-14-2022, 11:01 AM   #28
Shawna

I might just get a new toilet then honestly.
Old 02-14-2022, 11:21 AM   #29
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna View Post
The OP has been extremely stressed out between the toilet, the mice, college and winter kicking me out of my camper. I’m ready now though. I don’t have the city water connected because the valve is broken so I need to replace it and get a hose. I also prefer having the tank full to weigh down the camper because we get very high winds and even then it will still tilt sometimes. I’m buying the stuff for the city water I’m just waiting for winter to end so nothing freezes.
Are you talking about yourself in the third person and to yourself in post #23? Just trying to follow along. Filtration will not treat "hard" (high mineral content) water. Typically a catalyst (salt) water softener will be required and in extreme cases such as George describes an RO (reverse osmosis) system.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 04:44 PM   #30
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Are you talking about yourself in the third person and to yourself in post #23? Just trying to follow along. Filtration will not treat "hard" (high mineral content) water. Typically a catalyst (salt) water softener will be required and in extreme cases such as George describes an RO (reverse osmosis) system.
Typical number for water considered "hard" in San Antonio is 17ppm of iron/calcium. We have (untreated) about 130ppm. We have a 3000 gallon storage tank and most sediment drops to the bottom and the dual tank water softener does a decent job but the reverse osmosis provides filtered and clean well water. Like I said previously, we use it to make coffee, lemonade, water for the critters, etc. I also drink the water from the tap to no ill effect from time to time. This system cost me about $4K.

Prior, I had installed a less expensive system myself. It was far less expensive but of course, if it doesn't do a good job, the amount that was spent was wasted money. If you look at out toilet tank from one bathroom which was in place during the tenure of this old water softener, the tank is filled with iron and kind of disgusting. I installed a new toilet after the new system was installed and it is clean as a whistle with no hint of iron. We go through a LOT of salt but salt is cheaper than new appliances (dishwasher, washing machine, water heater, etc.).

If I lived full time somehwere where water hardness or other minerals were and issue, I would contact a water treatment company (probably several to get other opinions) and install somehow. I know they make water softeners for RVs but can't say how effective. I would have the water tested for hardness to see if the systems available would be effective.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 07:07 AM   #31
{tpc}

I have that same or at least a similar toilet. Beginning of last year, I think one of our first trips, this happened to us (water at the base of toilet). Never had an issue before that.

What happened was we showed up late to camp and our friends (neighbors) were already a couple of drinks in. He comes over as I am setting up and he tells me the water pressure is perfect, and that I don't even need the regulator. Like a dummy, I say ok, and hook it up because i'm in a hurry to be done with it all.

Next morning I see the water, clean it up, and throughout the day see it and clean it up. Eventually this gets to me, and now I have to figure it out. Lift the seat and hit the peddle and I can see the water is just high enough pressure to get out of the bowl. With the lid down it was hardly noticeable.

I put the regulator on, and it was fine. We had also ben monitoring a drip from his coroplast and he put his regulator on, tightened a fitting under his sink...apparently the higher pressure brought this about, and his issue was fixed as well.

Note to self: always run regulator.
2nd Note to self: don't let people rush you through your process.

Tags
toilet