Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2022, 04:13 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRops View Post
Is this possibly why my water heater leaks once I turn it on? I have to shut it off to avoid the constant hot water running down the side of the coach. Keystone says "that's normal". I have a nasty mess in the water heater compartment now after the dealer replaced several relief valves and a thermostat. I bought the coach new in May 2021 and it started this less than two months after I had it. That was also around the time I started living in it full time.
Is what possible? The katsup, the cone washers, the air pocket, or something else? Where is it leaking? The WH shouldn't have katshup or cone washers but it should have a pocket of air to allow for expansion. If the dealer replaced the relief valve and the thermostate then it sounds like they suspect it's overheating causing the pressure relief valve to opem.

Couple of questions. Do you have a good, quality water regulator and a good water filter on the supply hose? When you connected your water water did you release the air from the WH tank by opening the pressure relif valve? Last question, you said you have a "mess" from the leak. Is that "mess" just water or is there gray and wjire, or rust colored depsosits with the water?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 08:12 PM   #22
JRops

Sorry - I thought I had piggy-backed onto the correct reply. I'm talking about the air pocket that was mentioned. Maybe that's my problem. The WH compartment is just getting corroded and rusty. Honestly, I didn't do anything to the unit, the RV dealer set it up for me. I'm waiting for the dealer to respond to me in regards to the regulator and the filter. I know I don't have a filter on the incoming water line.

I'm learning so much from this forum!
JRops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 08:45 PM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Sorry - I thought I had piggy-backed onto the correct reply. I'm talking about the air pocket that was mentioned. Maybe that's my problem. The WH compartment is just getting corroded and rusty. Honestly, I didn't do anything to the unit, the RV dealer set it up for me. I'm waiting for the dealer to respond to me in regards to the regulator and the filter. I know I don't have a filter on the incoming water line.

I'm learning so much from this forum!
That's easy to check. Turn the water heater off (both gas and electric) and let it cool down. Turn off the water. Remove the drain plug and open a hot water faucet. Remove the drainplug and drain the water heater. Replace the drainplug, turn on the water. When the faucet stops "spitting" water and air the water line will be purged of air but the WH tank will still have a pocket of air in the top. Turn on the heat source and monitor for leaks.

I'd strongly recommend a good adjustable water regulator. Don't bother with those in-line regulators as they only restrict the flow and don't really control the pressure. A good water filter is essential also as most campgrounds water source typically are problimatic with minerals and worse contaminants.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 09:01 PM   #24
JRops

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
That's easy to check. Turn the water heater off (both gas and electric) and let it cool down. Turn off the water. Remove the drain plug and open a hot water faucet. Remove the drainplug and drain the water heater. Replace the drainplug, turn on the water. When the faucet stops "spitting" water and air the water line will be purged of air but the WH tank will still have a pocket of air in the top. Turn on the heat source and monitor for leaks.

I'd strongly recommend a good adjustable water regulator. Don't bother with those in-line regulators as they only restrict the flow and don't really control the pressure. A good water filter is essential also as most campgrounds water source typically are problimatic with minerals and worse contaminants.
Thanks flybouy - I will try that tomorrow. I am living in the RV so I have a water line coming from a commercial building so the (city) water should be better than a campground. Probably should have one anyway but I'm certainly not drinking it.
JRops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 12:34 PM   #25
jasin1

Quote:
Thanks flybouy - I will try that tomorrow. I am living in the RV so I have a water line coming from a commercial building so the (city) water should be better than a campground. Probably should have one anyway but I'm certainly not drinking it.
I wonder what the water pressure is on that commercial building?…didn’t see if you posted above but as Marshall said…you need a good quality pressure regulator…more pressure is not always a good thing
Old 02-22-2022, 12:38 PM   #26
jasin1

The real problem here is it’s a Water Heater…not a Hot Water Heater…just like there is no such thing as a Cold Water Heater…

Sorry just a pet peeve…carry on

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater