Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2020, 08:41 AM   #1
Maineiacs

Ground Control Touchpad Display

My autolevel is working fine with one exception - the display screen remains blank. This is not a problem in normal operation but if I want to enter manual mode, I understand I need to step through some keypad entries with the up and down arrows. Without the screen I'd never know what was what.

Is this a common problem? Is there a simple solution? Amazon sells replacement panels but I'd like to avoid that expense if possible.

Thoughts or ideas?
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:51 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

You can try unplugging the panel, it may reset it. Just tossing it out there.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:54 AM   #3
Canonman

You might try these guys; https://colawrvsalvage.com/ for a used display or even a controller. My dad used to say "all cars run on used parts".
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 12:42 PM   #4
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiacs View Post
My autolevel is working fine with one exception - the display screen remains blank. This is not a problem in normal operation but if I want to enter manual mode, I understand I need to step through some keypad entries with the up and down arrows. Without the screen I'd never know what was what.

Is this a common problem? Is there a simple solution? Amazon sells replacement panels but I'd like to avoid that expense if possible.

Thoughts or ideas?
The display on ours did the same thing one week after we bought it. I took it back and the service manager tried the unplug and reconnect but it didn't work. He ordered a replacement under warranty and it has worked great. It is simple plug and play, no resetting required. I'm not sure but I think I saw the replacement screen available on amazon.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 02:07 PM   #5
Maineiacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
The display on ours did the same thing one week after we bought it. I took it back and the service manager tried the unplug and reconnect but it didn't work. He ordered a replacement under warranty and it has worked great. It is simple plug and play, no resetting required. I'm not sure but I think I saw the replacement screen available on amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/Lippert-Com...s%2C252&sr=8-2

$261. and at least 161 sold as there are that many ratings. Seems like it must be a common problem. Was hoping for a simple solution - I'll try the unplug approach first but time will tell.
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

Old 11-26-2020, 03:49 PM   #6
CedarCreekWoody

That is it, but ouch! Maybe you will get lucky and cleaning the contacts will work.
Andersen hitch
Old 12-02-2020, 08:54 AM   #7
Maineiacs

Went to check the camper this morning and found I'd left the battery switch on . Plugged it in to put a charge on the battery and lo and behold, the display was working fine! Guess it rebooted itself with all those nice fresh electrons flowing in. Hope it stays that way!
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

Old 12-02-2020, 09:06 AM   #8
CedarCreekWoody

That is interesting. I will try rebooting if I have trouble again.
Andersen hitch
Old 12-02-2020, 09:32 AM   #9
Javi

Quote:
Went to check the camper this morning and found I'd left the battery switch on . Plugged it in to put a charge on the battery and lo and behold, the display was working fine! Guess it rebooted itself with all those nice fresh electrons flowing in. Hope it stays that way!
Just for future reference... the Ground Control Touch pads are VERY, VERY, susceptible to LOW Voltage... Make sure that your battery is charged above 12 volts or that you are connected to shore power before using it..

On that note... they're easy to replace..

e-trailer has the best price on a new one (speaking from personal experience)
Old 12-02-2020, 11:16 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Just for future reference... the Ground Control Touch pads are VERY, VERY, susceptible to LOW Voltage... Make sure that your battery is charged above 12 volts or that you are connected to shore power before using it..

On that note... they're easy to replace..

e-trailer has the best price on a new one (speaking from personal experience)
When I was talking to tech support, I was told that if you see 12.7V or less on the display, it will most likely error out before finishing autolevel. I was told the same thing Javi is saying- plugged into shore power or TV with engine running.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:37 AM   #11
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
When I was talking to tech support, I was told that if you see 12.7V or less on the display, it will most likely error out before finishing autolevel. I was told the same thing Javi is saying- plugged into shore power or TV with engine running.
Yep... it was 12.7 volts now that you mention it... After the first $202 I just always made sure I was plugged in to either the truck or the pedestal before using the panel.. And that was a Lippert Tech that told me about it also...
Old 12-02-2020, 06:10 PM   #12
ChuckS

I’d also just have to stick a hydrometer in each cell and check specific gravity iof the battery or batteries..

The display should have at least illuminated even if voltage was at 11.5 volts... but nothing would have worked at that low of a voltage ..

I’d also check and clean battery terminals and cable connections to get the best transfer of power to the system...

I’ve never had an issue unhooking and auto leveling with no shore power.. have done it that way the last 7 years on current fifth wheel with six point hyd level up..

Running two Costco GC2 six volt batteries in their sixth season . Excellent option come the day you need new batteries... $89 a piece at Costco

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:28 PM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

Im willing to bet a pair of GC 6V batteries will handle the load better than a single 12V battery.

Long story short, I spend an hour and a half on the phone with LCI tech support. Had volt meters on the battery (Single GP 27) and at the display. Unplugged and plugged into shore power. He said that if at anytime the voltage at the panel fell below 12.0V the system would most likely error out.

For the record, Grand Designs paid warranty labor rate for that phone call.

Old 12-03-2020, 05:53 AM   #14
Maineiacs

Related electrical question - coach is plugged in right now charging up battery. If I shut off the master power switch in the pass thru compartment, does that shut off the battery charger? I think it must but before I fry a battery I'd like to be sure.
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

Old 12-03-2020, 06:07 AM   #15
ChuckS

Yes if you turn battery disconnect off you will not charge batteries.. but why would you??? The converter will adequately charge and maintain your batteries during non use periods as long as you maintain electrolyte level of battery..

I leave mine connected to house 120 outlet from late Oct thru mid May every year.. batteries are on their sixth year now...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:35 AM   #16
Javi

The only time my trailer isn't hooked up to shore power is when I'm actually towing it or working on something that requires me to disconnect power.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:48 AM   #17
ewbldavis

So dumb question related to display and failure:

Are your displays on outside of unit, or in a bay? Mine is inside pass-thru, and I've wondered how they hold up on the units I've seen that are "outside".

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:54 AM   #18
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis View Post
So dumb question related to display and failure:

Are your displays on outside of unit, or in a bay? Mine is inside pass-thru, and I've wondered how they hold up on the units I've seen that are "outside".
The previous trailer had the control panel in the pass-thru.. the Avalanche has it outside with a recessed panel with a door..

The unit which failed was a Ground Control 3 electric jack.. The Avalanche has the hydraulic version.. we'll see
Old 12-06-2020, 02:03 PM   #19
poelma

Quote:

Thoughts or ideas?
I teach electronics technology and have had several similar displays over the years do the same thing. If you are comfortable with removing the control panel from its mounting location you may be able to open it up and carefully separate the LCD display from the circuit board - held on with a tape like adhesive - and the simply press the display back onto the circuit board. There will be a rubber gasket looking separator that "connects" the LCD to the circuit board - it has fine spring like wires that make the electrical connection between the board and the display. They often just need to be reseated with moderate pressure.
It won't hurt to try - I recently fixed a Microwave display and a remote control with LCD display in this manner.

Sorry - just saw that low voltage was your problem -
poelma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 03:18 PM   #20
CedarCreekWoody

This fix you describe sounds like it would have worked on mine. The controls worked fine but the display went out. It got dim, then dimmer, then blank, but the controls never failed. Only the display.
Andersen hitch