Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2020, 04:39 PM   #1
Steve's 70-5

I Guess I Am Lucky

Bought a Surge Protector with a EMS a few months ago. Used it one time no problem. Went camping this past weekend, the electric pedestal had 50-30 and 20 amp outlets. When I walked up to the pedestal I noticed there was fresh dug dirty around it and it was leaning back. After looking around, I noticed that most of the electric pedestals where leaning back. After more observation, I noticed that all the electric pedestals where behind the drive that you parked your camper on, about 4 foot back. There was a parking bumper at the end of the driveway, but with the overhang on a camper it would not protect the pedestal. Campers where backing into the pedestals

Well I plug my EMS into the 50 AMP outlet, turn the breaker on. I waited, no green light. Looked at the read out and one leg was bouncing around with 58 to 62 Volts and another warning. Turned the breaker on and off a couple more time, same thing. Got a dogbone and plugged into the 30 AMP outlet, turned power on, everything OK. Good I had power for the weekend.

After thinking about this, if I did not have a EMS, and used the 50 AMP outlet, I would have had low voltage on one leg, which may have cause me problems in the future with my TT. I did not want to put the money out for a EMS, but now I can say it was money well spent.

Thanks guys for all the info on this.

Joe Walsh
Steve's 70-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:44 PM   #2
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve's 70-5 View Post
Bought a Surge Protector with a EMS a few months ago. Used it one time no problem. Went camping this past weekend, the electric pedestal had 50-30 and 20 amp outlets. When I walked up to the pedestal I noticed there was fresh dug dirty around it and it was leaning back. After looking around, I noticed that most of the electric pedestals where leaning back. After more observation, I noticed that all the electric pedestals where behind the drive that you parked your camper on, about 4 foot back. There was a parking bumper at the end of the driveway, but with the overhang on a camper it would not protect the pedestal. Campers where backing into the pedestals

Well I plug my EMS into the 50 AMP outlet, turn the breaker on. I waited, no green light. Looked at the read out and one leg was bouncing around with 58 to 62 Volts and another warning. Turned the breaker on and off a couple more time, same thing. Got a dogbone and plugged into the 30 AMP outlet, turned power on, everything OK. Good I had power for the weekend.

After thinking about this, if I did not have a EMS, and used the 50 AMP outlet, I would have had low voltage on one leg, which may have cause me problems in the future with my TT. I did not want to put the money out for a EMS, but now I can say it was money well spent.

Thanks guys for all the info on this.
That is good news. Money well spent.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:52 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks for posting. Many sort of feel like they are expensive and a waste. In reality they are something you should never leave home without in an RV. Like your situation, I've seen power peds in all kinds of states; new and perfect, dilapidated, misused/abused and my worst fear....the park owner that is the "knowledgeable electrician" or using that "good old boy" down the road to wire up his power.

When young I guess I trusted in luck, then I trusted my intuition/observance but none of those can tell you what is on that lead connected to that pin in the receptacle. Gone are the days of licking your fingers and placing them across the suspected points (didn't tell you anything except to give you a jolt). EMS? Problem solved, bacon saved and no "holy xxx, what just happened" moments. Money well spent.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote