Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2019, 12:34 PM   #1
Jakswe

Reminder: Do Not Twist Your Safety Chains

This is a friendly reminder to, when towing, never twist your chains to reduce their length. If the guy at the dealership advised this, he is full of it.

Review this YouTube post that shows the reason why.

https://youtu.be/clj42no4DxY

Use the right length in the first place.
Jakswe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:35 PM   #2
66joej

Very informative. I and I'm sure others have done this over the years to keep the chains from dragging on pavement. Haven't had to do it for many years now with proper equipment.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:16 PM   #3
Frank G

That is JUNK chain, Not certified as required for safety chain. FAKE NEWS. Try the test with certified tagged chain.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:11 PM   #4
Jakswe

Frank G, How is the test not representative of what would happen using a heavier duty chain? I certainly do not want to give up 70%, or even 25%, of the effective load my chains will handle. I hope you won’t want to give up some effectiveness of your safety chains as well.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:04 AM   #5
Roscommon48

Diagree.

Review the BW hitch in you tube. YOU CAN TWIST your chains.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:52 AM   #6
Jakswe

What I see in the test of the twisted chain: The chain, when twisted, pulls on the long end of the link’s oval instead of through the long end. Also, pulling on a twisted chain also adds torsion to the individual links which degrades the effectiveness of the chain.

Please don’t make it a regular practice to drive with your safety chains twisted.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:41 PM   #7
Customer1

Every Uhaul I have ever rented had like 10 feet of safety chain, they regularly twist them.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:19 PM   #8
kcamp99186

Don't have an issue with my TT, but with my old tent trailer the hitch was so low my chains would drag. I used an old bungee and strapped the chains up to the hitch between the ball and the truck bumper. My thought was the bungee was a lot weaker than the chain and would give first if needed. Never had a problem.

kcamp99186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 05:21 AM   #9
C.LeeNick

Interesting.

When I worked for U-Haul 20-plus years ago, we were trained to twist the trailer safety chains to keep them from dragging on the ground.
C.LeeNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:21 AM   #10
AbHDToyHauler

I can't speak for the chains but when you have lifting slings and tie them in a knot to shorten them you severly reduce their lifting capacity. I was a trained to teach crane and rigging and that was a hard and fast rule. "Never tie a sling in a knot".
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:46 AM   #11
JimDogs

I was taught to twist the chains, not to shorten them, but to catch the trailer tongue in case of separation from the TV. This is to prevent the trailer tongue from digging into the roadway causing even greater damage. If that were to happen NO chain would bear the strain of the trailer suddenly stopping from speed.
JimDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:20 AM   #12
BillMc

Completely Agree
BillMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:33 AM   #13
Modifier

Any one who advises you to twist your chains has a twisted mind. ALWAYS use the correct length chain and the break-a-way lanyard should be shorter than the chain length. Also CROSS the chains under the tongue. Some states require it.
Modifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:59 AM   #14
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDogs View Post
I was taught to twist the chains, not to shorten them, but to catch the trailer tongue in case of separation from the TV. This is to prevent the trailer tongue from digging into the roadway causing even greater damage. If that were to happen NO chain would bear the strain of the trailer suddenly stopping from speed.
I think you mean cross the chains. Twisting them is different. Watch the video and it will be clear what they are talking about.

I cross mine but never ever thought about twisting them. But the idea of a zip tie to keep them from dragging might be good for me.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:58 AM   #15
BulletOwner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
I think you mean cross the chains. Twisting them is different. Watch the video and it will be clear what they are talking about.

I cross mine but never ever thought about twisting them. But the idea of a zip tie to keep them from dragging might be good for me.
I agree, always cross, that provides a cradle for the hitch if it come loose. I like the zip tie/bungee fix also.

Many years ago before I really got into towing my, step dad always got the lightest duty chains/hooks for his trailers. Said he didn't want the trailer, if it came loose to be still connected to the car. I suppose there is some logic to that except for the other people on the road.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:02 PM   #16
rjrelander

I understand the importance of safety chains and breakaway cables but luckily have never needed to see them in action. Has anyone here ever had to try them out in a real emergency situation? It seems like they would only help in the case of either a ball snapping off or the hitch bouncing off the ball if the latch failed. Maybe a rusty or cracked receiver breaking?

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:25 PM   #17
KimNTerry

Never happened to me but I have seen it happen right in front of me when I pulled trialers for the local marching band.

The safety chains (Twisted I might add) did the job they were supposed to do and kept the trailer from going rougue.

Fortunately we were slow speed in a parking lot. The ball was not hitched properly and actually locked on top of the ball rather than underneath. The driver hit a speed bump and off the trailer went. The tongue slid under the truck as he braked. but everything held. Tongue never hit the ground as we had the chains adjusted and configured properly.

That particular trailer did not have brakes as it was below leagl weight to require them.
We did examone all of the trialers in our fleet (4 of them, 3 with brakes) to ensure Safety chaons were correct length and that all drivers knew to adjust the breakaway so in the event of a disconnect the break away switch would fire BEFORE the saftey chanins took the hit. We used caribeeners wrapped around the long side of the cable to fasten the loop to. This allowed us to have different Tow vehicles and NOT redo cables all the time.

I recomend checking your connection by jacking up after connected to ensure the hitch is locked UNDER the ball. Just enbough that the trailer starts lifitng the truck so you know it's locked and won't pop off.

IMO The safety chains should be replaced after they get emergency used even once. The shock of taking all of the trailer weight in one shot means they have undergone high levels of stress. The welds or bolts to the frame are suspect as is each link in the chain.

Twist, don't twist, it's your call based on experience and prefference.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:41 PM   #18
BulletOwner1

I had hooked up to the boat, pulled forward, stinger came out of the receiver (I forgot to put the pin in) hitch fell down on the crossed chains, I braked, pulled the boat trailer right into the tailgate of the truck. The winch mast put a nice dent in the gate. Talk about feeling foolish. If the chains had not been crossed might not of happened. But who knows. I still cross the chains.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:56 PM   #19
Dman55088

To put it bluntly, YOU ARE WRONG. When using an approved chain for a safety chain, twisting them does not matter. Yes, there are many people who get sold some cheap chain at their local hardware store and do not have the right chain. This is where buying from a dealer or a source that carries stamped chains is the only way to go.
Dman55088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:15 PM   #20
BillMc

The twisting of chains is a poor mans way of shortening them. The correct way is to ensure that the chains are short enough to connect to the towing vehicle and to provide a cradle to catch the trailer tongue and prevent the towed vehicle from flipping in the event of a failure. It costs to have the chains properly done (unless you have the tools on hand) but well worth the cost.
BillMc is offline   Reply With Quote