Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2019, 06:59 AM   #1
racetech

Why did my fresh water smell so bad?

About a week before I took my camper out for first trip, I had filled the fresh water tank, flushed all the antifreeze out of system, then drained tank. I then filled it with just a few gallons for rinsing sink and such I didnt want to tow a lot of water weight. Well I noticed when I used the water in the kitchen sink it smelled absolutely horrid! What am I missing or doing wrong in regards to my fresh tank? Thank you
Old 06-04-2019, 07:05 AM   #2
busterbrown

Did you properly treat and sanitize your fresh water system? Draining, flushing, and filling is just part of the process. Bleach-based sanitation is required.

Also, what is the source for your water? Well or municipal?
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:13 AM   #3
racetech

No, actually I did not do that. I recently read about the process, and was figuring thats what im missing. Ill have to do that!
Old 06-04-2019, 07:14 AM   #4
racetech

So the sanitation process should help there is no additive or anything i need to put in my fresh water each time I fill it?
Old 06-04-2019, 07:37 AM   #5
rjrelander

If it's more of a chemical smell, there might still be antifreeze lingering in the tank and lines. You want to drain any antifreeze out of the fresh water tank before you start. I forgot this year and just filled the fresh water tank to flush the lines. It took almost an entire day of draining and refilling to clear the system of all the foamy antifreeze water.

Otherwise, we just bleach the system once after clearing out the antifreeze. Not sure if you are supposed to do more than that but we don't use it for drinking water, just washing and flushing. We have never used any fresh water additives. Also, make sure to use a good (non rubber) hose and an inline water filter if you don't have one built into the trailer.

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:51 AM   #6
busterbrown

It's recommended to use a quarter cup of bleach for every 15 gallons of freshwater. We have a 43 gallon fresh water tank. I just make it simple and use 1 cup for the process. Make sure you run each faucet (both hot and cold) until you smell the bleached water. Let it dwell overnight for 10-12 hours. Then drain the system. Refill the FW tank with clean, fresh water having run that water through each faucet too. Then drain again. Now you're system is sanitized. Should eliminate any nauseating smells.

Remember too, the source of your water can lend a hand in it smelling bad. You never know the quality of a campground's water supply until you fill up. We've had a couple of instances where the hydrogen sulfide content made the water unbearable to use. Now, when we travel within the state, I fill our FW tanks full with our local city-treated water.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:54 AM   #7
The John

you can also use a substitute anti freezing agent depending on where you live. I live in Oregon and we rarely see below freezing temps for long periods (where I live). I use lemon scented cheap vodka for my anti freezing liquid. It works well, the lemon scent doesn't stay for long, its super easy to wash out without foaming the tank and what not.

Just my .02C.
The John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:10 AM   #8
racetech

It smelled rotten, like bacteria was festering in it. It was bad as soon as I ran a little in the sink we stunk ourselves out for a few lol. Ill do the bleach process it sounds like my system needs it. I had filled with water at my house I have good city water i know it wasnt that. Just the lack of sanitizing im sure.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:15 AM   #9
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by The John View Post
you can also use a substitute anti freezing agent depending on where you live. I live in Oregon and we rarely see below freezing temps for long periods (where I live). I use lemon scented cheap vodka for my anti freezing liquid. It works well, the lemon scent doesn't stay for long, its super easy to wash out without foaming the tank and what not.

Just my .02C.
The OP's profile says NE Ohio. I personally wouldn't leave it up to lemon scented spirits. RV Antifreeze is relatively cheap, FW safe, and works down to sub-zero temps, something a midwesterner experiences quite frequently in the winter. The pink stuff should be eliminated after a couple of fill/rinse cycles.

Oh, by no means, add RV antifreeze to the fresh water tank. Instead, use a bypass system to add the pink stuff to the fresh water lines.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:38 AM   #10
Park1911

Also, it's always a good idea to start the new season with a new water heater anode rod and sediment/taste water filter that fastens to your hose.
SuperGlide 3300 Hitch
Park1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:35 AM   #11
ADQ K9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park1911 View Post
Also, it's always a good idea to start the new season with a new water heater anode rod and sediment/taste water filter that fastens to your hose.
I pull the Anode rod out and leave it in the bottom of the water heater opening inside the door no need to replace it unless it is time for a new one. The filter is a no brainer for me. We have a whole house filtration system and the trailer tank gets filled from the house before every trip.
For de winterization I sanitize the FW tank with bleach after running all the antifreeze out. I will pump bleach through the hot/ cold faucets. I have 2 low point drains for the water heater as well as one for my FW tank
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:22 PM   #12
mohead1

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
The OP's profile says NE Ohio. I personally wouldn't leave it up to lemon scented spirits. RV Antifreeze is relatively cheap, FW safe, and works down to sub-zero temps, something a midwesterner experiences quite frequently in the winter. The pink stuff should be eliminated after a couple of fill/rinse cycles.

Oh, by no means, add RV antifreeze to the fresh water tank. Instead, use a bypass system to add the pink stuff to the fresh water lines.
Why is that? I put 2 gals of pink in the tank, bypass the wtr htr, run the pump and flow the antifreeze out the toilet and all faucets/shower w enough to put some in each drain trap (P or S). Worked for the last 20 yrs. Thos is of course after draining all the low point drains of fresh water.
mohead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:57 PM   #13
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohead1 View Post
Why is that? I put 2 gals of pink in the tank, bypass the wtr htr, run the pump and flow the antifreeze out the toilet and all faucets/shower w enough to put some in each drain trap (P or S). Worked for the last 20 yrs. Thos is of course after draining all the low point drains of fresh water.
It's not that you can't do it...obviously you have for the last 20 years. But its accepted (common) practice to bypass the fresh water tank in the winterizing process.

It's much easier to remove the anti freeze from downstream lines and fixtures than from a fresh water tank that may or may not completely empty. I know my coach's water tank usually requires at least 4 gallons before the water hits the distal end of hose on the inlet side of the pump. So in essence, after emptying the tank, it would require 6 gallons of bad tasting pink stuff in order to effectively winterize the lines. Four gallons would dwell in the FW tank and the other 2 be used in the lines.

Also, If it were accepted practice, there wouldn't be a need to engineer bypass winterizing valves into coaches. Everyone could just throw the pink stuff into the tanks and call it a day. Seems a bit wasteful and a bit bothersome to flush it out come spring. YMMV.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:20 AM   #14
mohead1

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
It's not that you can't do it...obviously you have for the last 20 years. But its accepted (common) practice to bypass the fresh water tank in the winterizing process.

It's much easier to remove the anti freeze from downstream lines and fixtures than from a fresh water tank that may or may not completely empty. I know my coach's water tank usually requires at least 4 gallons before the water hits the distal end of hose on the inlet side of the pump. So in essence, after emptying the tank, it would require 6 gallons of bad tasting pink stuff in order to effectively winterize the lines. Four gallons would dwell in the FW tank and the other 2 be used in the lines.

Also, If it were accepted practice, there wouldn't be a need to engineer bypass winterizing valves into coaches. Everyone could just throw the pink stuff into the tanks and call it a day. Seems a bit wasteful and a bit bothersome to flush it out come spring. YMMV.
I can see if your tank suction is that high, but two gals does mine w no problem.....then after winter, fill a put 1/2 the fresh water tank w potable water, run all the lines using the pump until clear, drain the low point drains...waa laa....its ready to go. Takes 30 min tops either way, winter or de-winter
mohead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:18 AM   #15
BoondockingBakers

We had the same problem this year and we've had our trailer for 5 years with no issues. We were told by Camping World to make sure we drain our hot water heater if not using for a couple of weeks as that is where a lot of the smell can come from. We are going to drain the hot water heater and use the bleach process as advised.
BoondockingBakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:27 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Water heaters can "sulfate" (create a sulfur compound) that can cause the hot water to "sour". There is a procedure in the Dometic and the Atwood owner's manuals to clean/neutralize this process. It's a chemical reaction that occurs with water containing specific elements, so some people with water that doesn't have those elements will never see the problem while others will have to deal with it every season.

Check the owner's manual for "why does my water smell bad?"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:01 AM   #17
BadmanRick

If you live in an area where it Freezes I would suggest emptying all water tanks and blowing out the system with compressed air. Learn no water in the system. Then when you are ready to go camping flush the system with bleach.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:35 PM   #18
Ksupaul

Had same rotten egg, sulfer, bacteria smell too in previous trailer. Found out came from hot water heater. Found a bad anode rod and realized we left water in it between trips. Got a hose to stick in tank and clean sediment out. There was a ton of black sooty looking sediment we got out. From that point got a new anode and drained it after each trip at same time I’m dumping tanks. Never have had an issue again.
Ksupaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 07:55 AM   #19
SR71 Jet Mech

I also used to be a bleach or chlorine user for sanitizing my fresh tank. I now after talking with some water treatment folks, use hydrogen peroxide in my fresh water tank. Does a much better job of killing bacteria and much safer for contact of humans, dogs, cats etc.....
also need much less than chlorine. Doesn’t smell either....

Scott

SR71 Jet Mech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water