Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2018, 12:00 PM   #1
head1855

Wiring awning LED lights

I have a Bullet 1650ex (hybrid) and just purchased some LED awning lights from Recpro (link to lights below). I am looking for any advice on installation and wiring. I have been thinking about this all morning going back and forth to the trailer an it looks like the best best is going to be getting the power from the inside plug over the rear bunk. This means drilling a hole from the outside and running the wire along the over head shelf to the plug which is located about mid-line of the trailer. I would like to keep it out of the existing patio light so that they can operate independent of one another. I am also including a link to the floor plan in case that helps anyone that would like to provide advice. I should also mention that the light switches are on the side of the wardrobe facing the door and the fuse panel is in the bottom part of that same wardrobe.

https://www.recpro.com/led-lighting/...nting-channel/

http://www.keystonerv.com/share?bran...T&model=1650EX
head1855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:37 PM   #2
busterbrown

I just watched a video of your floor plan. A possibility would be to pick up DC power from behind the microwave (exhaust fan/light) and mounting an independent switch on the microwave cabinet side, adjacent to the entry door. Obviously, you'd have to enter the coach (with your drill) below the awning in line with the microwave. But it would be covered and you should have room for error. Lots of room behind the microwave so everything stays concealed. Just a thought...
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:02 AM   #3
head1855

That is a thought Buster. I looked at it after your reply and doing exactly as you say would make me enter the coach in the middle (or very close to) the awning/light strip. I think I may still hook it up behind the microwave but enter on the front end of the awning. There is an overhead cabinet there that adjoins the kitchen cabinet and then the microwave cabinet. I could hide the wires in there fairly easily. Thanks for the reply.
head1855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:00 PM   #4
lawdog130

I installed the same light strip on my Passport and used the porch light as a power source. My porch light has a switch on the bottom of the housing itself.
I purchased a small weatherproof rocker switch and mounted it on the top of the porch light housing which I wired the light strip to. No need to drill a hole in the wall of the camper and I can control each light separately.

2015 Passport 2810BH
2015 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
lawdog130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:10 AM   #5
WNY Bullet

On our last trailer, I ran the power down the framework of the power awning (following the awning power lead) and into the front storage bay. I was able to pull 12v power in there and wired in a wireless RF remote receiver for the LED awning strip. I put velcro on the back of the remote and attached it right inside the entrance door for easy access.
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, led, light, lights, wiring