Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2017, 10:10 AM   #1
magpye

Removing top bunk passport ultra lite

Hi All,
We have a Passport Ultralite 28bh and we are considering removing the top bunk. Has anyone done this? How did you do it and how did it go?
Thanks!
magpye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:30 PM   #2
the sodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
Hi All,
We have a Passport Ultralite 28bh and we are considering removing the top bunk. Has anyone done this? How did you do it and how did it go?
Thanks!
I have a Bullet that is basically the same TT. Ive had the same thought so I'm curious of others responses too...
Old 09-04-2017, 01:32 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

First off welcome to the forum.

All the bunks I've encountered were screwed to the wall, at the framing. You would have to remove the deck of the upper bunk to access these screws. The wall panel should be the same pattern from floor to ceiling so the only concern should be the holes left from the screws. Good luck and post pics if you proceed.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:33 AM   #4
magpye

Talking we did it!

Thanks for the welcome! Well, we did it (or, my husband did!) He said it was very easy - just screwed in. There is a tiny tear in the wallpaper, but just the screw holes. We are going to put in some light shelving above the bed that is left for storage, but it now opens up that bed back there - my 15 year old is much happier (especially since we have to basically bribe her to camp with us these days!) We appreciate the replies! Can't wait to try it out at the Scottish Festival this weekend in Estes Park!
Magpye
magpye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:31 AM   #5
talk2cpu

We considered removing ours (no kids with us), however we decided to redesign it for storage. Removed the mattress and used some 1/4" ply to construct "bins" that fit with the open top up when bunk closed. Great for pillows and blankets and all stays in place when traveling.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:26 AM   #6
the sodfather

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome! Well, we did it (or, my husband did!) He said it was very easy - just screwed in. There is a tiny tear in the wallpaper, but just the screw holes. We are going to put in some light shelving above the bed that is left for storage, but it now opens up that bed back there - my 15 year old is much happier (especially since we have to basically bribe her to camp with us these days!) We appreciate the replies! Can't wait to try it out at the Scottish Festival this weekend in Estes Park!
Magpye
Got any pics?
Old 09-06-2017, 12:01 PM   #7
baker.jeff.d

Quote:

Magpye

Glad to hear that it's worked out. I was very happy to see your post- we were wondering about the same issue with our 2400BH. My daughter was also complaining about the lack of headroom (the cave!). We thought replacing the top bunk with some shelving was a possibility, so we're very encouraged by your post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
baker.jeff.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:10 PM   #8
Luvkoi

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks!

Hi! I see that you went ahead and answered your own question by removing the bunk. We have a Passport Ultra Lite 290BH. DH took one of our top bunks out for more head room when traveling with senior citizens. It went well because it was held in place with screws, as you said. Screw holes will be covered with trim molding from Home Depot because their stock color was a match to the front of the other bunk. Doubling up the mattresses gives a slightly softer option on one bed , too. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2017, 09:42 AM   #9
texomobile

We removed the top bunk in our 2400bh. This is how we did it:

(1) Remove all the window shades and valences from the top and bottom windows its just a few screws. then remove the top plywood sheet by removing all the screws. It is in 2 pieces. keep one piece to sit on while removing the support screws.

(2) Find a 5yo, if your very light start at the back and work you way out as you remove the screws around the edges. Here is where my 5yo helped as I am not a light weight person.

These were the screws she was in charge of.

(3) remove the front trim board.

(4) Using an exacto knife, I cut the seal between the wall and the bunk. (It did not fall on my head)

(5) push up on on the side nearest to the window.

(6) Enjoy a fully functional “extra room” in your camper.

texomobile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passport