Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2017, 12:56 PM   #1
hdxbonez

Traded the Ram 3500 for a 2500

I hit my limit on patience with my Cummins 2013 Ram 3500. The truck left me stranded the other day with SCR emissions related problems for the second time. The dealer tried to help, but the truck is at 105,000 miles and out of warranty. There is supposed to be a recall on the way, but it hasn't been released yet. The dealer wanted nearly $3000 to repair it, and maybe Chrysler would reimburse me if the recall is related. I threw in the towel and traded it for a 2017 2500 6.4 Hemi with 3.73 gears

The tow capacity is almost exactly what my Cougar gvw is, and pin weight is 1000lbs below the truck's payload. The Cougar is parked semi permanently and I full time in it while Im building a house, so I dont see myself towing it in the near future. We may even sell it when the house is done. Most of my driving is commuting to work or lightly loaded highway miles, so I expect the gasser to fit my current needs just fine.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:51 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Congrats on your new truck, to bad it had to be under less than favorable conditions.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:02 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

That's too bad about the 2013. The 6.4 and 3.73s is a good combo (I have it). If the trailer weighs about what the max tow is for the truck you might not want to be pulling it up large inclines etc. My trailer has a gvw of 10k and weighs in about 93-9500 lbs. and that's all the 6.4 wants on a 6% grade. It will pull it fine but it will be spinning about 3500 rpm. Sounds like you don't intend to be pulling it a lot anyway so that may never be an issue.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 04:38 PM   #4
hdxbonez

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
That's too bad about the 2013. The 6.4 and 3.73s is a good combo (I have it). If the trailer weighs about what the max tow is for the truck you might not want to be pulling it up large inclines etc. My trailer has a gvw of 10k and weighs in about 93-9500 lbs. and that's all the 6.4 wants on a 6% grade. It will pull it fine but it will be spinning about 3500 rpm. Sounds like you don't intend to be pulling it a lot anyway so that may never be an issue.
It's good to hear that you're happy with yours. A few trucks and trailers ago, I was pulling a 10k toyhauler with a 5.7 Hemi 2500. It handled the weight, but there were times I was at 5000rpm to get there. I expect the 6.4 will be a little more civilized.....
Old 07-05-2017, 04:28 PM   #5
rwmurphy15

Ram Diesel Owners Suing FCA, Cummins Over Inflated Fuel Economy
A new class-action lawsuit has been filed against Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) and Cummins over issues with certain 2013-2017 RAM 2500 and 3500 heavy duty pickups.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:42 PM   #6
rwmurphy15

2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Heavy Duty with Cummins Diesel
A new class-action lawsuit has been filed against Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) and Cummins over issues with certain 2013-2017 RAM 2500 and 3500 heavy duty pickups.

The lawsuit, filed by Hagens Berman, claims that a defect in the engine can lead to lower gas mileage, higher emissions outputs and expensive repairs.

In all those trucks fitted with a 6.7-liter Cummins diesel engine, the suit claims that the selective catalytic converter (SCR) system breaks down, allowing the filter to get clogged, resulting in the need for more fuel to be burned. In an attempted fix, FCA dealers have been re-flashing the computers on these trucks, but the suit claims that this also prompts the truck to burn more fuel to keep the filter clean.

In total, the lawsuit says that the fuel economy on these trucks has been dropping as much as 25 percent.

READ MORE: Making the Case for a Diesel Ram Power Wagon

Filed in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, Hagens Berman is going after FCA and Cummins for “charges of fraudulent concealment, breach of warranty, violations of the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO), and violations of several state consumer protection laws,” according to the firm.

Further, Hagens Berman claims there is an issue with the washcoat sealant applied to the SCR which contributed to the high emissions, a problem that FCA has known about since 2014 but has not acted on.

READ MORE: Here’s Our Best Look Yet at the 2019 Ram 1500

Currently FCA and Cummins are suing each other over the issue, as the automaker believes the engine builder should have to foot the bill for the recall. Cummins, of course, disagrees, and blames FCA for the problem. “FCA refuses [to effect the recall] for one reason – money. FCA is holding both Cummins and its own customers hostage to FCA’s commercial demands,” according to Cummins.

A separate class-action lawsuit has already been brought against FCA and Cummins by Hagens Berman, claiming that these diesel engines also have emissions cheating software in them. And on top of that, FCA is also under fire from the U.S. government for alleged emissions cheating software in its smaller 3.0-liter diesel vehicles.

TAGS: Cummins, Cummins Lawsuit, FCA, Hagens Berman, Ram, Ram class-action lawsuit, Ram HD lawsuit

< newer post | older post > 5 comments
Old 07-05-2017, 04:49 PM   #7
Desert185

Not good.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:29 PM   #8
vampress_me

"Currently FCA and Cummins are suing each other over the issue, as the automaker believes the engine builder should have to foot the bill for the recall. Cummins, of course, disagrees, and blames FCA for the problem."

Read this article a few days ago. My only question is if FCA actually bought warranties from Cummins this time? When our block cracked in our '99 2500 from a cold joint, it was discovered by many owners that Dodge bought the blocks from Cummins with no warranty bought along with them since it was cheaper for Dodge. Cracked block? Dodge of course wouldn't honor warranty to replace them either. And pointed finger at Cummins. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Our outcome was lucky. Cummins gave us a brand new block at no charge after I asked them what I could do to get Dodge to honor our warranty.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:42 PM   #9
notanlines

RWMurphy, why should we be printing a coupon for Turmeric? You might want to watch that baloney.....we're not interested.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:47 PM   #10
hdxbonez

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmurphy15 View Post
2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Heavy Duty with Cummins Diesel

The lawsuit, filed by Hagens Berman, claims that a defect in the engine can lead to lower gas mileage, higher emissions outputs and expensive repairs.

In all those trucks fitted with a 6.7-liter Cummins diesel engine, the suit claims that the selective catalytic converter (SCR) system breaks down, allowing the filter to get clogged, resulting in the need for more fuel to be burned. In an attempted fix, FCA dealers have been re-flashing the computers on these trucks, but the suit claims that this also prompts the truck to burn more fuel to keep the filter clean.

In total, the lawsuit says that the fuel economy on these trucks has been dropping as much as 25 percent.

READ MORE: Making the Case for a Diesel Ram Power Wagon

Filed in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, Hagens Berman is going after FCA and Cummins for “charges of fraudulent concealment, breach of warranty, violations of the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO), and violations of several state consumer protection laws,” according to the firm.

Further, Hagens Berman claims there is an issue with the washcoat sealant applied to the SCR which contributed to the high emissions, a problem that FCA has known about since 2014 but has not acted on.

READ MORE: Here’s Our Best Look Yet at the 2019 Ram 1500

Currently FCA and Cummins are suing each other over the issue, as the automaker believes the engine builder should have to foot the bill for the recall. Cummins, of course, disagrees, and blames FCA for the problem. “FCA refuses [to effect the recall] for one reason – money. FCA is holding both Cummins and its own customers hostage to FCA’s commercial demands,” according to Cummins.

A separate class-action lawsuit has already been brought against FCA and Cummins by Hagens Berman, claiming that these diesel engines also have emissions cheating software in them. And on top of that, FCA is also under fire from the U.S. government for alleged emissions cheating software in its smaller 3.0-liter diesel vehicles.

TAGS: Cummins, Cummins Lawsuit, FCA, Hagens Berman, Ram, Ram class-action lawsuit, Ram HD lawsuit

< newer post | older post > 5 comments
I signed on today.....
Old 07-05-2017, 08:23 PM   #11
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
"Currently FCA and Cummins are suing each other over the issue, as the automaker believes the engine builder should have to foot the bill for the recall. Cummins, of course, disagrees, and blames FCA for the problem."

Read this article a few days ago. My only question is if FCA actually bought warranties from Cummins this time? When our block cracked in our '99 2500 from a cold joint, it was discovered by many owners that Dodge bought the blocks from Cummins with no warranty bought along with them since it was cheaper for Dodge. Cracked block? Dodge of course wouldn't honor warranty to replace them either. And pointed finger at Cummins. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Our outcome was lucky. Cummins gave us a brand new block at no charge after I asked them what I could do to get Dodge to honor our warranty.
Was it a 53 block?

http://www.cumminshub.com/cummins-53-block.html
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:34 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdxbonez View Post
I signed on today.....

For Tumeric??
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:45 AM   #13
hdxbonez

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
For Tumeric??
Of course, didn't you?
hdxbonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:06 PM   #14
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Yep. Made in Brazil. The ones made in Mexico were just fine. Brazilian blocks had a cold joint that would fail, sometimes before 100,000 mile warranty was out and sometimes after.

It was replaced with a brand new Mexican block that I was given by Cummins in the Twin Cities. VERY nice group of people.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:29 PM   #15
rwmurphy15

Notanlines, that was in the article from the Cummins forum. I'm not trying to push or endorse anything. My apologies