Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2017, 10:26 AM   #1
JimQ

Battery Not Charging

Hi Folks: During our first trip last weekend, I noticed the battery level dropped quickly while on the road. I always store it on a block of wood for the winter down in the basement. It charged up quickly at the campground when I plugged the trailer in, so I figured it was time to get a new one. Bought a replacement at Wal-Mart and hooked it up. The control board in the coach indicated it was fully charged. Thursday into Friday night, a massive lightning strike occurred close to my house which resulted in power loss and tree damage. I found one breaker in the basement tripped that handles my alarm system and water softener system. I'm finding odd damage. My pre-amp on the over the air digital antenna, located in the attic is out. An old boom box in the garage will not work. The ground fault GFI receptacle in my shed which feeds the extention cord to my trailer was tripped and damaged. Looks to me there was a surge from the lighting bolt. It was so close to hitting our house, the noise was deafening. I checked the trailer after running the extention cord from another outlet. Everything seems to be OK, except the battery was down to 1/3. It is not charging. All the fuses are good. Is there something else I can check or do I need to bring it in. I have a trip planned for next weekend and thought as long as I charge the battery for the road I will be all set for driving. I did not discover any damage to the items which I thought would be effected, TV's, computer , etc., Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:34 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Look on the back side of the converter. There are fuses back there and the strike may have cooked those.

With the shore cord plugged in you can check the converter by testing the large leads coming off it. Should have 13+ VDC. When plugged in, the monitor panel isn't really a good indicator of battery charge.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:38 AM   #3
JimQ

Thanks Chuckster. I checked the leads with my meter and it reads 11.72 VDC, the same reading on my battery when I have it disconnected. I don't see any serviceable fuses when I pulled the unit out.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:54 AM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Unless I am not understanding you 11.72 Volts Across the battery when hooked to shore power would indicate to be me that either the 110VAC beaker to converter is off, converter is bad, battery disconnect switch ,if you have one is off instead of ON. The reverse polarity fuses on the converter are blown, or another in line fuse if you have one is blown. As stated in a previous post should have 13+ VDC across batteries when hooked to shore power
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:00 PM   #5
JimQ

Thanks for the replies. I don't have a disconnect on the battery, all breakers are on, so I am guessing the converter is gone, as I don't see any obvious fuse on the converter itself. Is it safe to use on a 200 mile round trip next weekend, If I charge the battery with a battery charger ( disconnected from the trailer while charging).?
Old 05-20-2017, 12:06 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

You'll be ok. If your converter is seperate from the breaker/fuse panel it plus into the back side of the 110VAC side and the fuses are at the back of it where the FAT white and black wires are. If the converter is the lower half of the breaker/fuse panel the fuses are seperate from the row of fuses.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:10 PM   #7
JimQ

Thank You very much. I'll go camping on Memorial Day weekend then plan a course of action for repairs. Much Appreciated. Confirmed the converter was toast, zero output. I ordered a Powermax converter that has fuses as a replacement. Should be here Tuesday.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:19 PM   #8
JimQ

Installed the Powermax converter Tuesday night. I had to trim the plastic on the back of the mounting location for it to slide in. It's a 55 amp with two fuses and looks and feel like its heavy duty. Easy install. I just have to figure out where to run the #8 ground wire to the frame. I'll check things out this weekend and get that done. It is operating fine and the battery is fully charged. I have learned a thing or two about the electrical system in the trailer. Thank You for your help! Jim

Tags
battery