Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2016, 03:52 PM   #1
T_Clark

black water clean out connection leaks

2016 Passport Ultralite 2770. Maiden voyage was this past weekend. Everything worked but 2 items.

1. Found out if you leave the bathroom door open, it blocks the intake vent for the furnace and apparently the furnace somehow overheats and when it shuts down, takes several hours to start back. Couldnt for the life of me figure out what was going on, thought maybe the tstat was messed up, but once we kept the bathroom door closed, unit worked perfectly the rest of the weekend.

2. And this one is what this thread is about.

Decided to dump and flush the blackwater tank there at the campground before we left since they had full hookups and i knew i wouldnt be holding anyone up while i flushed the tanks clean USING THE BUILT IN FLUSH SYSTEM. As per the picture attached, the hose comes from the outdoor fitting into the bathroom under the sink. It turns up and goes thru some sort of vent thingy (i have no idea what this is and this is the part that is leaking) then goes out and down to the black tank.

Just what the heck is this thing, (i'm assuming its some sort of vent altho i cant figure why it would be needed.) And surely its not supposed to be leaking out the TOP of it. The screw on fittings are tight, and the fittings themselves are not leaking. Its spraying out from under the top of the square plastic vent looking thing.

I'm tempted to just do away with this and install a 90 degree fitting there so it goes straight down to the black tank, but would like to know if its needed, and if its not supposed to be leaking (which its not), then i'll call the dealer i bought it from and get them to send me a new one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0208161740a[1].jpg
Views:	154
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	9995  
T_Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:48 PM   #2
CFDfireman90

What you have there is a check valve. Designed to keep black water from siphoning back up and into the clean water connection for rinse water. It is not uncommon for them to be installed backwards. They also tend to fail and do the same as you describe. I removed mine during my first season and purchased one that goes between the hose and the connection on the outside of the camper. There are lots of posts about this issue on this forum and others.
CFDfireman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:39 PM   #3
T_Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFDfireman90 View Post
What you have there is a check valve. Designed to keep black water from siphoning back up and into the clean water connection for rinse water. It is not uncommon for them to be installed backwards. They also tend to fail and do the same as you describe. I removed mine during my first season and purchased one that goes between the hose and the connection on the outside of the camper. There are lots of posts about this issue on this forum and others.
figures. that is what i will do as well.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:53 AM   #4
cw3jason

It is commonly known as a vacuum breaker check valve and as stated it prevents a syphon effect that would pull black water from your tank when disconnecting the hose by opening and letting air into the system. It is supposed to close under water pressure allowing the water to enter the black tank. it is just a simple valve seal with a spring and could be stuck. Removing it and actuating it then putting it back should solve the issue. It can also be replace with a brass one. Google vacuum breaker to see examples. Also make sure you use adequate pressure when flushing, as water pressure is what closes this valve and makes it operate.
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:05 AM   #5
T_Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw3jason View Post
It is commonly known as a vacuum breaker check valve and as stated it prevents a syphon effect that would pull black water from your tank when disconnecting the hose by opening and letting air into the system. It is supposed to close under water pressure allowing the water to enter the black tank. it is just a simple valve seal with a spring and could be stuck. Removing it and actuating it then putting it back should solve the issue. It can also be replace with a brass one. Google vacuum breaker to see examples. Also make sure you use adequate pressure when flushing, as water pressure is what closes this valve and makes it operate.
yep, as i said, i plan to remove the one inside the unit and put a straight thru fitting, then i'll put the one way on the outside.