Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2015, 03:02 PM   #1
DJ85

Warped glass shower door????

Well I took the camper in for maintenance for water heater no working on electric 110 v and to check it for fire up on propane. We have noticed the shower door has become had to close because it has started to bind at the bottom so I had them look at this as well. I have been told the door frame is warped. Now as far as I know it opens and closes how did it get warped??? Anybody got some suggestions they tell me the only way to fix it is to replace it. Has anybody seen or done some kind of adjustment????

God is great, beer is good and people are crazy
Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up
DJ85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 03:40 PM   #2
nellie1289

on the water heater are you sure you didn't burn up the element because it was on electric without any water in the tank?
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:23 PM   #3
Campy

My shower door was installed upside down, I think it will go either way but "common since" should dictate the proper swing so you can use the toilet!
Old 09-29-2015, 06:33 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

One very common thing with shower doors is that the magnetic seal slides down and binds the door at the bottom. The door appears to be warped but once the seal is moved back up it usually will close normally. Pushing the seal back up and SLIGHTLY pinching it's track will keep it from happening again.
The service tech should be aware of this problem and should have repaired it easily, unless as he said the door is actually warped. Good luck and let us know what the outcome is, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:30 AM   #5
vampress_me

For the shower door, check and make sure the clear rubber (plastic?) sweep on the bottom is fully seated in its channel on the bottom of the door. Our door started to bind this summer and when I took a closer look at how in the world the door could have dropped in the frame I saw/ felt that the sweep had come out on one end and was catching on the bottom frame of the shower. Unfortunately it tore the sweep a couple of inches and I need to replace it, but after pushing the sweep back up into its channel. Door works great again, no binding.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:35 AM   #6
concours

If you take a carpenters square and check the corners of the door you will find that the door may not be square. that is because the frame is flimsy and the glass slips in the seal causing the frame to be low at the bottom of the side opposite the hinge. One day I will take ours off and have a glass shop fix the door my problem is removing the door as the vanity has to be removed so the door will open wide enough to access the hinge screws. Just part of owning a trailer
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:57 AM   #7
DJ85

Okay we are picking up on Friday so i will check your suggestions. As far as the water heater I really just wanted to fix it myself but we bought an extended warranty so i figured what the heck. Well after they told me the bill over the phone I'm not real happy right now. I am not blaming the dealer because its my own fault. I will admit walking into the bathroom and smelling something burningelectrical wise got me a little nervous and i thought there would be more to it then what needed to be replaced. Bottom line is if you have a volt meter and watch some video's i will never take anything back in for service unless the unit needs replaced.

Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up
Old 10-05-2015, 11:09 AM   #8
Pmedic4

Please elaborate on your - problem/extended warranty/bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ85 View Post
Okay we are picking up on Friday so i will check your suggestions. As far as the water heater I really just wanted to fix it myself but we bought an extended warranty so i figured what the heck. Well after they told me the bill over the phone I'm not real happy right now. I am not blaming the dealer because its my own fault. I will admit walking into the bathroom and smelling something burningelectrical wise got me a little nervous and i thought there would be more to it then what needed to be replaced. Bottom line is if you have a volt meter and watch some video's i will never take anything back in for service unless the unit needs replaced.
Read your two posts about the water heater, and really didn't say anything about what they found, and you saying you had an extended warranty, and then receiving a bill? Can we speculate that you accidentally turned the electric part of the water heater when it was empty, and it burned up the heating element, and because it was your mistake you have to pay for the repair?

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:01 PM   #9
DJ85

Here is the story on the water heater. My Wife took a shower and I walked in as she was getting done and noticed a smell that wires make when they are getting hot. I opened the storage compartment and noticed a stronger smell there so after doing some checking it seemed like it was coming from the water heater. I also found a water leak at the by-pass valve. I was unable to locate exactly what was getting hot. Two days later the water heater quit working on eclectic. So figured something went wrong but was not sure of what.. I switched over to gas and of course it did not light on three attempts. Now I have never use the gas for the water heater so I'm real excited yet. I purge the lines at the stove and it took awhile but finally lit. I try the water again and it still did not light. So instead of waiting I flip the switch off and back on. BOOM my wife who outside screams to make sure I'm alright. I come running out to make sure the water heater isn't on fire and was relieved that everything looked okay just black pieces all over the inside. I functions okay on propane until that night I take a shower and the water starts getting cold. Yep the water heater fault light is on failed to ignite.

Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up
Old 10-08-2015, 06:12 PM   #10
DJ85

Second part!! Now I have never worked on a water heater and we had bought an extended warranty. Due to the eclectic burning smell and the fact it quit working we are thinking major repair. So I make the appointment 1, Check the water heater on electric and propane because when I fired it up the next morning I got another loud boom when it fired up. 2, the A/c was acting funy at night the fan the a/c would cycle off and then the fan would kick back on. Did this all night long. The second night I did a reset on the thermostat and it fixed the problem then I didn't know if this was normal or not. 3, the shower door wouldn't close. Made an appointment for Friday and dropped it off told them to call if things were not covered.. I called on Tuesday the next week was told it was done. I said great do we owe anything? Yep you owe $ 200.00 I said the deducible is only $ 75.00 I was informed something were not covered. Now I don't deal well with stupidly so I figured no use arguing over the phone I will just let my wife deal with it when we pick it up.

Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up
Old 10-08-2015, 06:24 PM   #11
DJ85

3rd part We go to pick it up. The thermal switch for the electric side was burnt out which I figure was the problem after researching other member posts. It's a twenty dollar part. Charged me $ 68.00 dollars to fix. Charge me $35.00 for the part. Okay it's fixed and it under the deductible.. Charged me $48.00 Dollars to check the propane side of the water eater and said they found nothing wrong. Charged me $48.00 dollars to check the a/c found nothing wrong. Charged me $ 48.00 dollars to check the shower door told me the door is warped and is not covered thank god they didn't replace it. So I just look at my wife and told her to do your magic. So she starts and is getting a line of B/S that I just can't stand anymore. So I asked you want to charge me $144 dollars for turning a switch on and finding nothing wrong. She proceeds to tell me the a/c check is more then turning a switch on. Really then what did they do cause I told them to just turn it on and see what it does. She tells me well they check the feon I almost chocked told her that's not possible she then tells me they did an electrical draw. I asked why if it wasn't doing anything wrong. So she gets the mechanic. He advised me and her he just turned it on and found nothing wrong.

Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up
Old 10-08-2015, 06:38 PM   #12
DJ85

I asked him about the other stuff since I had them now. He told me he fired the water on propane three different times and nothing wrong happened. I asked him so you guys charge me $ 144 dollars to turn a switch and stand there and watch it. I'm in the wrong line of work here. Okay enough lets figure the bill out and get out of here forever. Since the warranty company did not cover the repair because it was under the deductible. They charged us full retail price and labor to fix it. Okay fair enough I'm getting the feeling it's my own fault I should have never taken it in and now I'm paying the price. After arguing the rest we walked out paying $ 157.00. Now I know what some of you are going to say I shouldn't have paid but it is what it is. Lesson learned do your homework anything in your camper can be fixed if you do your research. Buying an extended warranty is only good on major items that is if the water burns up and can not be fixed the refrigerator burns up and can't be repaired slide out have a major malfunction. Other then that don't waste your time buying them or using them period. As far as the shower door the plastic weather strip at the bottom of the door is ripped from rubbing on the screw and needs replaced so I'm hopping someone can give me info on that. I have had problems with this service department every time I have went there. Their sales team is the best IU have ever seen but I'm thinking I will be looking around in the future.

Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up