Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2015, 05:35 AM   #1
cospilot

found what looks like too good to be true deal on generator

so i got this email this morning from cabelas on a 3500 watt generator now on sale.
right off the bat i am thinking ok whats the catch?
yes i know its a name brand I've never heard of
but 3500 watts for $329 bucks?
i am sure its not whisper quiet but hey if you wanted to run your AC or microwave (not at the same time probably) wouldn't one of these babies do the trick?
what am i missing?
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...4&type=product
cospilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:39 AM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by cospilot View Post
so i got this email this morning from cabelas on a 3500 watt generator now on sale.
right off the bat i am thinking ok whats the catch?
yes i know its a name brand I've never heard of
but 3500 watts for $329 bucks?
i am sure its not whisper quiet but hey if you wanted to run your AC or microwave (not at the same time probably) wouldn't one of these babies do the trick?
what am i missing?
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...4&type=product
Just a couple of thoughts on purchasing a generator.

First, how loud is it? You'll almost certainly want to use it where there are other campers, and if it's too loud, well, you get the idea. If it was me, I'd want to hear it run before buying it.

Second, it weighs 104 pounds. The cost to ship it to you might push the price back up where you could consider other generators. That's unless you are near or planning to visit a Cabela's store. If you can get it at that price at a store, it could be a real bargain.

Third, given its weight, you'd want to think about how you're going to carry it and how you are going to get it in and out of your truck or whatever.

Fourth, the Hondas (kind of the gold standard for RVers) use inverter technology to produce electricity which is very clean and best for computers and other high tech devices. You may want to do some checking on what and how this model produces its output. I saw a Champion 3,100 watt inverter generator listed on Cabela's web site for $999 on sale so there are obviously some differences. Food for thought.

Fifth, 3,500 watts continuous output with 4,375 watts of starting output is very hefty compared to the 2,000 or 2,400 watt models from Honda or Yamaha. It'll surely power one A/C and the microwave, almost certainly concurrently.

Sixth, I'd personally be very leery of an engine in a generator that isn't Briggs & Stratton or Honda or other brand name. YMMV and caveat emptor on that point.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:59 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

The price and continuous output are all very attractive and; as Steve pointed out, it seems like a real bargain. Its advertised noise level of 68db certainly isn't "whisper quiet" especially when you compare it to the Honda's 3000i at 58 db. As suggested, hearing it run - while on a load - would be something I would want to do.

The specs didn't say that it is an inverter type so I am assuming that it isn't and this may or may not be a concern to you if you plan on using it for sensitive electronics such as computers, etc. I know some folks use the non-inverter generators for everything, including electronics, and have had no issues.

Moving a generator of this weight would present a problem for some so that is something else to consider.

At first glance, it appears as though this is a commercial/industrial type generator for use in construction or other applications rather than in a campground around other campers. But, as you said, it "would do the trick" --- but not very quietly.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:34 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The link you provided to the Cabela's generator led me to a Champion generator. It appears to be a newer model of the Champion 4000/3500 watt generator that many of us have for our RV. While it isn't exactly the same, many of the features are similar and the engine is the same as the Champion generator sold by COSTCO http://www.costco.com/Champion-3%2c5...100139455.html

You can get more thorough information on the Champion website here: http://www.championpowerequipment.co...r-home/100157/

I suppose the "bottom line" (for me) is that this is a "construction type" generator and is relatively loud (though not as loud as many). It isn't particularly well suited for use in a campground, but if you "dry camp" in remote areas by yourself, where there isn't anyone else around, this type of generator is a very good alternative to spending $2000+ for a Honda or Yamaha.

As I said, we have the 4000/3500 watt model, used it a number of times with good results. It is easy to start, runs smoothly and provides sufficient power for our 30 Amp trailer.

Champion has an extensive dealer/service center network and a 2 year warranty on their generators. Though they are not "the best" quality, they are built much better than much of their competition and they do have a good reputation.

If you look around, you can buy the 95 lb 4000/3500 watt version with a 30 amp RV plug for around $250 on sale. While it's only 10-15 pounds lighter, and about the same size, it is a "tried and true" power source for RV's.

I have no direct experience with the generator you linked at Cabela's, it is a "near cousin" to what I do own.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:21 AM   #5
B-O-B'03

I purchased this Champion Inverter Generator it runs my 15K BTU AC just fine, is fairly quiet, fits under the camper and I can load it into the bed of the truck by myself.

Costco has had $100 off on it twice in the last few months.

Let us know if you buy the one from Cabela's and how it works.

Thanks,

-Brian
Old 08-13-2015, 08:35 AM   #6
sw342
Permanent User Ban

I picked up one of those a couple years back when Kragens had them on sale for $29. Price was too good to pass up and was able to use it with our last trailer that did not have a built in generator. Now it sits in the garage unused and gets started a couple times year to keep it going. It is loud and you are not going to want to listen to it run on end charging your batteries for hours. Fine if you want to use the microwave of the hair dryer, but not for hours of watching tv or playing Xbox

RV.net had a huge thread on this generator a few years back and the tricks people were using to quite them down. The overall consensus was that its a good generator. Try searching there for more info. Maybe they have brought the db's down since I have bought mine. That was about 6 or 7 years ago.
sw342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:51 AM   #7
cospilot

thanks for the feedback, you guys have brought some interesting things to consider.
based on what JRTJH said i propose a theory
i have a pretty strong EET background so tell me if what i say makes any sence or has any truth to it..

most of the honda generators generate DC output and are then coupled with an AC inverter. this is why you can hook 2 units together with a parallel jumper and get 2x the power because it would be impossible to sync the AC sine from 2 different units running at different speeds.

with the unit in question i wonder if it actually has a DC to AC conversion or if it is governed to run at a specific speed with an exciter circuit in the armature much like a car alternator does?
if this is the case i can see why the "quality" of the output waveform might be questioned. because if i am right it would mean that the frequency and amplitude of the sine wave might vary as the engine is loaded and unloaded.
but as far as being pure i might argue that a sine wave generated from an actual generator would be more sinusoidal than one created from a DC source.
however the latter would be more consistent.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:21 AM   #8
cospilot

so i just got off the phone with champion and here's what i learned.

i was correct in my assumption, the generator mentioned in my original post is exactly that. it runs at a constant speed and they say +/- 3% of 60 HZ they recommend it for heavy duty use and it is actually very clean power. it will also handle large loads easier or surges better than an inverter does.

the smaller more compact inverters actually make DC power and because your not limited to running at 60 HZ they can make use of a smaller more compact DC generator that can make more amps and volts at higher RPM so fuel efficiency wise, noise wise it is possible to get the power you need from a smaller package and for light loads will use less gas.
the downfall is that it has to be revved up or (not in fuel economy mode) in order to handle a larger surge like AC units microwaves ect..

so what they say is if your looking for something that has the best bang for the buck the generator is the way to go.
if you want fuel efficiency and quiet the inverters are a better solution.

seems champion makes a pretty affordable interter as well when you compare it to a honda or yamaha
http://www.championpowerequipment.co...cts/inverters/