Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2015, 08:29 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred1609 View Post
We had 4 year old tow max tires on our rig. Very well maintained with TPMS on every tire....We had stopped for about an hour at a Camping World before heading out again. About 20 minutes into our trip one of the blow max tires let go. The tread delaminated and tore the J wrap, damaged the slide. The TPMS still showed 90 PSI when I pulled over. What junk tires they are. I kick myself for not replacing them sooner but I though I could get one more season out of them. We have Michelin XPS ribs on order. That 5er isn't moving until we get the new tires on them. There are no ST tires made in North America. Best advise would be for those that can replace your china bombs with LTs.
Is your TPMS malfunctioning or is there another cause of the 90PSI reading on the "blown tire" ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:33 AM   #22
TandE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Is your TPMS malfunctioning or is there another cause of the 90PSI reading on the "blown tire" ???

It sounds like he did not have a blow out rather he had tire separation which in most cases doesn't deflate the tire

Travis
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:26 AM   #23
Western Traveler

Switched out my OE tires for Maxxis last Spring before leaving on my extended season of travel. Inflated to 80PSI by Discount tire. They said the Maxxis tires must be listed on some "Forums" because people keep coming in and asking for them. Wanted to sell me Carlisle's but I opted for the Maxxis and they ordered them for me. This was a San Diego outlet supplying tires to the desert offloading market. I am sure the Carlisle's are performing well for others but this was just my preference.
Over 2500 miles in the last 5 months and have not added air once. Still running at the original 80PSI from install. Temperature ranges I have been in this season have ranged from high 30's to 100'F.
I think the brand I replaced was "Trailer King" they needed to be aired up frequently. I put about 1800 miles on them before I said screw it and replaced them. I was tired of the worry. Glad I did.

2014 Cougar 21RBSWE "The Sugar Shack"
2006 F250 Super duty "Buttercup"
King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Reese Straight-line Dual cam WDH
Me and My Bride
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 03:30 PM   #24
kguess

No more Towmasters tires for me... Two blow outs . They came on my Hideout, learned the hard way but I should have changed them a year ago since they were made in 2010. 3-4 years is all u get on trailer tires unless you like to gamble!
kguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:02 PM   #25
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred1609 View Post
We had 4 year old tow max tires on our rig. Very well maintained with TPMS on every tire....We had stopped for about an hour at a Camping World before heading out again. About 20 minutes into our trip one of the blow max tires let go. The tread delaminated and tore the J wrap, damaged the slide. The TPMS still showed 90 PSI when I pulled over. What junk tires they are. I kick myself for not replacing them sooner but I though I could get one more season out of them. We have Michelin XPS ribs on order. That 5er isn't moving until we get the new tires on them. There are no ST tires made in North America. Best advise would be for those that can replace your china bombs with LTs.
I wouldn't run two year old Tow Max let alone 4 year old tires. You got more use out of them than most. I even change my Carlisles out at 4 years. Would do the same with an LT tire as well, not worth taking a chance with the damage that can be done. I've seen cars and trucks get damaged from a tire that separates quickly, a fiberglass trailer with wood floor, aluminum skirting, hydraulic lines, and electrical wiring all running in the area just above the tire doesn't stand a chance.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote