Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2015, 03:49 PM   #21
Cfoxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittysRV View Post
Good write up! Thx for the information, time to pick out a strip and remote, Thx!!
Your welcome, and Thank You!!!

PS; I want to come play with you guys, that's quite a nice set-up you have there! I know it's not "Blue" but I can bring my Honda CRF450!

2013 Bullet 281BHS
2016 F150 SCREW 5.0
Cfoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:01 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfoxtrot View Post
You bet I will, besides that's why I am adding a multi function remote dimmer...so I can set that sucker to "strobe" mode to irritate the obnoxious neighbors!!! Muahahaha!!!!
Careful with that "strobe function" You just might become the topic of conversation in a thread like this one: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22632

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:45 PM   #23
Cfoxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Careful with that "strobe function" You just might become the topic of conversation in a thread like this one: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22632

Great, now I need to mount some on the slide side too!
Not that I would actually use it for that.

2013 Bullet 281BHS
2016 F150 SCREW 5.0
Old 06-17-2015, 06:08 AM   #24
SmittysRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfoxtrot View Post
Your welcome, and Thank You!!!

PS; I want to come play with you guys, that's quite a nice set-up you have there! I know it's not "Blue" but I can bring my Honda CRF450!
Hey anytime!! At least your truck is a "Blue Oval" and "Blue"

I actually need to update that info, we now have a KLX110 "Green" in the fleet now....

https://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps7fb09er8.png

Tow Vehicle: 2006 F550 studded and bullet proofed!
Toys: 2012 RZR XP4 900, Yamaha WR450, TTR230 and 2 TTR90s.
SmittysRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:49 PM   #25
bigbadbob17

Doing this install tomorrow. I bought two led strips and an contemplating putting one on the trailer under the awning and one on the roller.... I got the 5630 smd leds which are pretty bright they say brighter than 5050. I was thinking I could run a thin wire out to the roller on the underside of the awning material and stick it under a strip of white gorilla tape to hold it. Then it should roll up with the awning no problem. I will use the same to attach the wire on the trailer side to the led from the porch light. Thinking maybe I will start with the strip on the trailer and see if the second will even be needed... Thoughts?
bigbadbob17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:16 PM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbob17 View Post
Doing this install tomorrow. I bought two led strips and an contemplating putting one on the trailer under the awning and one on the roller.... I got the 5630 smd leds which are pretty bright they say brighter than 5050. I was thinking I could run a thin wire out to the roller on the underside of the awning material and stick it under a strip of white gorilla tape to hold it. Then it should roll up with the awning no problem. I will use the same to attach the wire on the trailer side to the led from the porch light. Thinking maybe I will start with the strip on the trailer and see if the second will even be needed... Thoughts?
Do some temporary trials with any wiring you install on the awning fabric. I thought the same with mine, run some thin wire out to the roller and just "roll it up"... Well, I used 26 ga wire with a very thin insulation, fished it through the side hem on the vinyl awning fabric, got it all wired and working and decided to roll it up and move on to another project. I hit the retract button, the awning rolled up perfectly, except the wire in the hem made that side a slight bit thicker and the awning didn't roll up evenly. The back arm locked properly, the front arm was still about 2" away from the trailer bracket. So, after trying to adjust the fabric, "wiggle things" and after a couple of "adult beverages" I decided that it just wouldn't roll up evenly with the added thickness caused by the wire.

So I ran the wire under the plastic strips and alongside the awning motor wiring. Now I have to plug and unplug the strip to roll the awning up, but at least it will lock on both ends when stowed.

Do some checking with your wiring plan before you use the duct tape. That will make that side even thicker and may cause you problems.

Good Luck and if you find a "solution" post it, I'm still wanting to devise a method to leave the LED strip plugged in when rolling up the awning.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:22 PM   #27
bigbadbob17

Wow great to know you saved me a headache by the sound of it. I'm thinking now, they make speaker wire for home audio surround speakers that is nearly flat and you stick it to the wall I will have a look for some of this tomorrow.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:32 PM   #28
bigbadbob17

Old 08-10-2015, 08:22 AM   #29
Rancehood

I was wondering how you were able solder into the LED strip mid point in the string. There is a thick clear rubbery film over the lights and solder points. I tried to melt it with my soldering iron but I wasn't able to get solder to stick to the points.

F-150 FX-2 5.0L V8
1992 Hi-Low
2012 Premier Bullet Ultra Light
Rancehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:04 PM   #30
Cfoxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancehood View Post
I was wondering how you were able solder into the LED strip mid point in the string. There is a thick clear rubbery film over the lights and solder points. I tried to melt it with my soldering iron but I wasn't able to get solder to stick to the points.
By CAREFULLY cutting away the silicone layer(with a razor knife) to expose the copper strips. Had a piece of leftover light strip that I practiced on.

2013 Bullet 281BHS
2016 F150 SCREW 5.0