Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
bearskin

Question Lost electric power to slide out wall outlet, overhead light, etc.

No power, AC or 12 volt to wall outlet, overhead light, and wall lamp, all in the living room slide out. Breaker did not trip. Breaker had tripped two times before last year. Could it be a bad breaker? Appreciate any suggestions.
bearskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:34 PM   #2
hankaye

bearskin, Howdy;

Check under the slide to see if the wires are intact the slide may have
damaged them when it was cycled.
Under my slide is a junction box, looks like a single wall switch box with a
solid cover, the wires come out and are suspended by a spring arrangement
then enter the box then up into the slide. It's a starting point...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:23 AM   #3
rjsurfer

Hankaye has the answer, the constant bending of those wires as the slide out extends and retracts takes its toll on them.

I lost the DC overhead light once and could never find where the wire broke, I'm assuming the break was deep behind the J panel where it enters the basement. I said the heck with it and wired in a 110 AC lamp in to the junction box under the slide. So now that lamp is AC :-)

Ron W.
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:33 AM   #4
chekmark

Check to see if you your battery is dead. Even if plugged in can still cause problems.
chekmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:12 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearskin View Post
No power, AC or 12 volt to wall outlet, overhead light, and wall lamp, all in the living room slide out. Breaker did not trip. Breaker had tripped two times before last year. Could it be a bad breaker? Appreciate any suggestions.
The wall outlet is 120 VAC and the overhead lights/wall lamp are 12VDC. There are two separate wiring circuits into the slide, one for "shore power" (120VAC) and another wiring circuit for "battery/converter power" (12VDC). It would seem unlikely that both wiring circuits would fail at the same time (from flexing/wire fatigue) unless there was some damage to the wiring bundle under the trailer. It should exit the trailer floor at a junction box, then enter the slide at another junction box. The wiring harness between the two boxes is likely the problem area. As I said, it's unlikely both would simply fail at the same time, so there is probably damage to the harness. It could easily get caught on something during extension or retraction of the slide or even get hung on a shrub or tree branch if you've recently moved your RV.

I would crawl under the trailer and check the wiring harness for damage. Keep in mind that if there is damage and you're plugged into shore power, you could have exposed 120 volt wiring. Proceed with some caution, unplug your trailer and crawl under it. Chances are you'll find the harness either pulled out of a junction box or cut/broken somewhere between the trailer and the slide.

Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 01:10 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

If I can add: inside the J boxes, factory loves to use wire nuts on 120, seen a few backed off. If that's the case, screw them back tight and then secure with electrical tape.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:49 PM   #7
racin500

Slide Power

Check the wiring from the basement out to the slide wall. It's held up by springs. 120v and 12v are all wrapped together on my Everest. Last time out, I connected to shore power before extending the slides. 120v had a short and I saw the spark shooting out under the slide.
2007 Chevy 3500 6.6L Allison, Crew Cab, Dually, Long-bed, 4x4
2007 Everest 295TS
https://www.keystonerv.org/forums/pic...116708&thumb=1
racin500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:03 PM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

In the inside corner of the slide, possibly inside a bench if you have a booth. There should be a plastic box similar to the photo below. (most likely black .. I painted this one when I added the surface mount outlet) Behind that cover you will find a terminal block where Keystone in all it's wisdom has connected both low and high voltage with the same device. When I had the same problem I checked the J cord under the slide first (the one with the spring) and then found my loose connections at the terminal block inside that box. Good luck with your search, Hank

hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote