Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2011, 08:06 AM   #1
jje1960

Propane hose

Not sure if anyone else has had this problem..... With the last two units we have had, they came with a quick connect fitting under the trailer for external bbq or heater or what-ever. Only problem has been finding a hose to connect to the bbq! We found a hardware store in Myrtle Beach a few years ago that saved the day... being as I'm a nice guy... I sent that hose along with the rvq when we traded for the SRX. Again, the unit has the quick connect.....urrgggh! Just bought a sparkling new Coleman super duper grill..... you guessed it, no hose! After over an hour on the internet today, actually found the hose!!!! Manufactured by M. B. Sturgis, then found a site that sells them. They come in 4', 6' & 12' lengths... cool beans to get the grill under the awning during the rain. Anyway, if this saves anyone else the trouble of looking it was worth the typing.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
Jim W

Thanks for the information.
I also purchased my hose from my RV dealer they had several lengths in stock. Will fit either the Colman or Weber grills with the small propane bottle that attach to the grills.
Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
chuckretnav

JJE whats that web site please. Happy trails
chuckretnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
jje1960

Website

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckretnav View Post
JJE whats that web site please. Happy trails
Ooops, forgot that part, sorry! Here is where I did the purchase...

http://caloreequipment.com/products/...TION&x=34&y=13

It was a beast to find, let me know if this link does not work, I have the sku no. from the purchase.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:26 PM   #5
DocData757

I wish my rig had that quick connect fitting.
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
Outbackmel

Quick Connect & Gas grills

My Outback has the direct propane quick connect which feeds a drop down Coleman 2 burner unit cook stove on a panel platform which works great with the awning open. (The hose on the cook stove is the correct length and fittings to service this stove top only It's a stove and sink combo unit).
What I miss is a "grill" type small unit with an open flame. Am I reading this correctly that Weber has such a grill and the extra hose, purchased through an RV dealer, with a length to move me back away from under the awning (when having an open flame which can jump around when frying)??. That set up would work very well for us.
I have been shopping a small charcoal grill for open cooking.....
Comments appreciated....
Tnx
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

Weber does have 3 portable charcoal grills - the Weber Char Q, Smokey Joe and the Go-Anywhere. We have the propane equivalent of the Char Q and I would highly recommend it. It may be a bit too big for your needs tho. The Smokey Joe is circular-shaped while the Go-Anywhere is the typical rectangular-shaped portable and the smallest of the 3. Hope this helps or you can visit their webpage at: www.weber.com
Old 01-09-2011, 03:08 AM   #8
jje1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackmel View Post
My Outback has the direct propane quick connect which feeds a drop down Coleman 2 burner unit cook stove on a panel platform which works great with the awning open. (The hose on the cook stove is the correct length and fittings to service this stove top only It's a stove and sink combo unit).
What I miss is a "grill" type small unit with an open flame. Am I reading this correctly that Weber has such a grill and the extra hose, purchased through an RV dealer, with a length to move me back away from under the awning (when having an open flame which can jump around when frying)??. That set up would work very well for us.
Comments appreciated....
Tnx
During the search for my hose, saw all kinds of tree fittings, should not be a problem for you to add additional for your needs. Just ensure you pay attention to what needs a regulator and what does not, where your low and high pressure is being supplied and make everything suit your needs!

Doc: Should not be a problem to add what you want, RV places can do this easily if you are not comfortable with messing with the propane lines. The quick connect fittings and shut-off valves are readily available.

Have not seen the Webber grills for RV's, sure is a quality name though. The coleman we bought at CW was about $150.00 and the case for storage for the unit (with built in mini wheels) was about $40.00 if I remember right. I was originally going to get another RVQ type, but then remembered the problems with the bar mounted in the fiberglass side of the trailer, would get lose after a while and was a potential point of moisture... read de-laminate... not good. The new coleman fit nice in the Side compartment, now if spring would ever get here we can use it!
Old 01-09-2011, 06:52 AM   #9
Outbackmel

Gas Grills

Thanks for the GREAT tips and the Weber link...I am on my next buying journey as soon as this major ice/snow storm passes Atlanta tomorrow
Outbackmel
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:27 AM   #10
DocData757

jje1960,
I did a cursory look and all the fitting are on the same side as the bottle which is the side away from the door and the area I would want to put the grill.

I'll look some more and see if I can find a fitting I can T into.
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:41 AM   #11
jje1960

Quick fix for coleman bbq

Purchased a new Coleman grill this year, found a 10' hose to quick plug into the low pressure line under the trailer. Problem was that with the double regulator, the flame was to low on the grill. I have no desire to use the grill with the bottles, so gutted the grills regulator. Still the flame was to low..... Figured out a quick fix, just took the jet out with a 10mm socket (from the Coleman regulator) and drilled it out with a 7/64 drill. There is a restricter in brass jet. After drilling this out, the grill works normally now. If anyone else has this problem I'm more than happy to provide more details.
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2011, 09:09 PM   #12
Maxzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1960 View Post
Purchased a new Coleman grill this year, found a 10' hose to quick plug into the low pressure line under the trailer. Problem was that with the double regulator, the flame was to low on the grill. I have no desire to use the grill with the bottles, so gutted the grills regulator. Still the flame was to low..... Figured out a quick fix, just took the jet out with a 10mm socket (from the Coleman regulator) and drilled it out with a 7/64 drill. There is a restricter in brass jet. After drilling this out, the grill works normally now. If anyone else has this problem I'm more than happy to provide more details.
I always thought in "theory" that double regulator shouldn't be a problem.. Pressure is pressure you'd think if it's 45 psi regulator flowing to another 45 psi regulator it would be ok. It must output just slightly under and therefore doesn't work..

Coleman grill is nice, I look at it everytime I goto Camping World. I have been looking at getting a smaller table top grill as we have a bigger unit already. Sometimes when we're stopped for a day it would just be easier than hauling out the big campchef. I'm also not interested in the bottles if I can avoid them.

I have been looking at this one. Jackson Grills Versa 75. All Stainless Steel but almost 300 bucks.. Obviously stainless costs the money. I've seen a similar mid grade model different brand at Cabela's for 99 bucks. I was in Target yesterday and almost bought a basic portable grill for $30 bucks. I could buy 10 of them and wear them out over 20 years for the same price as the Jackson Grill.

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:25 AM   #13
Bob Landry

I agree. The fancy grills look really nice, but how much money do you have to spend to cook an animal part? I sprung for a Weber Baby Q mainly because I have had several Webers and have ben very happy with them. The time to eat dinner is long enough for the grillto cool down then it gets cleaned and put away. It doesn't matter if I don't have a high $$$ stainless steel grill sitting out to temp thieves.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:33 AM   #14
Maxzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocData757 View Post
jje1960,
I did a cursory look and all the fitting are on the same side as the bottle which is the side away from the door and the area I would want to put the grill.

I'll look some more and see if I can find a fitting I can T into.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
I agree. The fancy grills look really nice, but how much money do you have to spend to cook an animal part? I sprung for a Weber Baby Q mainly because I have had several Webers and have ben very happy with them. The time to eat dinner is long enough for the grillto cool down then it gets cleaned and put away. It doesn't matter if I don't have a high $$$ stainless steel grill sitting out to temp thieves.
Good points.. Plus seems like reviews on the mid priced stainless grills are terrible. They all say that it cooks uneven or it burns food. I am anxious to buy one for our trip in the next two weeks but I want something that will last multiple seasons and not make me angry cooking on it.

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:49 AM   #15
Festus2
Site Team

I don't think you will get angry if you get a Weber --- the Q100 or Q200 . They are well-made, produce very tasty "animal parts" (not my wording), and have excellent user reviews. Not the cheapest small, portable BBQ but well worth the $$$$.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #16
Wayshe

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackmel View Post
Comments appreciated....
Tnx
Hi Outbackmel,
We are TT newbies and purchased a 2011 Outback with what sounds like the same outside sink/stovetop combo as you have. Could you please enlighten us as to where we hook up the gas hose for the stovetop. We can't find the connection.
Thank you.
WayShe
Wayshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:19 AM   #17
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayshe View Post
Hi Outbackmel,
We are TT newbies and purchased a 2011 Outback with what sounds like the same outside sink/stovetop combo as you have. Could you please enlighten us as to where we hook up the gas hose for the stovetop. We can't find the connection.
Thank you.
WayShe
The quick connect is behind the rear wheel on the curb side. It's up under there and you literally have to get on your hands and knees to get to it. I extended mine to the edge of the trailer using a 1/2" pipe nipple and a coupling.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:51 AM   #18
The Sod Father

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
I don't think you will get angry if you get a Weber --- the Q100 or Q200 . They are well-made, produce very tasty "animal parts" (not my wording), and have excellent user reviews. Not the cheapest small, portable BBQ but well worth the $$$$.
+1

WE have a Q220 and love it. Most of my campering buddies have the Q100 or 110. It works well, lasts forever and Weber has outstanding service (ootstanding in Canadian).

I had a problem with my Q220 regulator a few years ago. At 8:00 p.m on a Sunday night, I thought, "what the heck - I'll see if they answer the phone". Sure enough, a guy (not from India) answered the phone on the 2nd ring, took my info, noted that I also owned a Weber Genesis Silver, asked how THAT was working, and then quickly diagnosed the problem. He then apologized for the inconvenience and said a replacement regulator would be sent 2 day mail. Free of charge.

Weber is a solid company that stands behind their product. And unlike the Coleman, it is designed to do one thing really well. I had the RoadTrip and hated it. It was a pain to clean, flaired up like crazy and took up a lot of space (in my opinion). It worked really well as a stove, but that's about it. Again - just my two drachmas worth. Other folks live the Roadtrip. And this is why we have chocolate and vanilla.
Tekonsha Prodigy playing the role of brake control
The Sod Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:41 AM   #19
Bob Landry

I have no experience with Coleman grills, but I've read enough bad reviews on them to deter me from spending my money on one. I've had many Weber grills over the years and have never used one that I wasn't satisfied with.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #20
jje1960

Coleman grill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
I have no experience with Coleman grills, but I've read enough bad reviews on them to deter me from spending my money on one. I've had many Weber grills over the years and have never used one that I wasn't satisfied with.
Very interesting post. This is the first year with our Coleman grill, have used it a bunch of times without problem. Last week had a bunch of friends to cook for, cooked 24 hotdogs n' 11 burgers in about 25mins, man was I happy with the grills performance. Has been easy to wipe off, have hosed it off with cleaner once, I love the ceramic plate cooking surface, very easy to clean. Rolls around easy and stows nicely in the rolling carry case we bought at CW. Finally, wife unit said it cooked her chicken breast to perfection! Ya buddy, that's what matters to me, made wife happy! Just our humble 2 cents.