Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2014, 12:07 PM   #1
SandMShall

Generator.....which one do you own?

I'm looking to purchase a generator for our 22rbpr that we will be purchasing this coming Spring. Suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
SandMShall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:26 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandMShall View Post
I'm looking to purchase a generator for our 22rbpr that we will be purchasing this coming Spring. Suggestions?

While you are waiting for responses, you might want to browse through some of the previous threads/posts that have addressed this very same topic. Try using the Search feature (type in "generator", for example) and see what you come up with.

To help our members better answer your question, you could give us an idea of what you want to use it for? Supply power for A/C? Small appliances? Your needs will help determine a recommended size. If you done some looking already, you probably have noticed a fairly wide range in price.

If your wallet is heavy and price isn't a factor, then Honda is a favorite of many but there are others out there that are considerably cheaper that shouldn't be overlooked.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:33 PM   #3
SandMShall

I'm looking for something in the range of 4,000 watts. It will be mostly for backup. I wont have the pockets for a Honda though. I'm looking for something on the quieter side (I realize that's subjective) I've been told to make sure I get one with a muffler and spark arrestor. Anything more I should be looking for?

SandMShall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:02 PM   #4
Dwighop

Bouly for me. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2014, 04:33 PM   #5
FullTimer

I have one of these. It ran our 22 footer, but I haven't tried it on the 28 foot Sprinter. I liked it because it's quiet, it has a car muffler from the factory. I had, key word, had, a 6000 watt electric start, it sounded like a mower without a muffler. I couldn't pick it up myself and I'm a big ole boy. This one I can. Plus the bigger they are wattage,, the worse they are on gas. I borrowed a big Honda from work during the ice storm before I bought this one, it gobbled a gallon an hour. This one goes 14 hours on 6 gallons.
3500 Watt AC Delco
FullTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:40 PM   #6
davidjsimons

Generator.....which one do you own?

2013 Cougar 28 RBS
2012 Ram 3500 Dually
6.7 Cummins H.O.
4.10 rears.
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:50 PM   #7
dannyk

Champion generator

I have two generators, a yamaha 2000 suitcase type for most of our boondocking needs, but it will not run the a/c, so I purchased this one for the a/c needs when the weather is hot.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...r?cm_vc=-10005
Old 02-15-2014, 04:53 PM   #8
FullTimer

Well if you have a 30 amp plug, you will need a gennie that carries 30 amps, 50 amps same way. Way to rich for my blood.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:49 PM   #9
X-Treme

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullTimer View Post
Well if you have a 30 amp plug, you will need a gennie that carries 30 amps, 50 amps same way. Way to rich for my blood.
Completely false. You can use adapters with no problem. May not be able to run a lot at the same time, but you do NOT need a gennie with a 50A plug for a 50A trailer. I can easily plug my 50A trailer into a 15/20A plug.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:51 PM   #10
FullTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Treme View Post
Completely false. You can use adapters with no problem. May not be able to run a lot at the same time, but you do NOT need a gennie with a 50A plug for a 50A trailer. I can easily plug my 50A trailer into a 15/20A plug.
Do not 50 amp trailers usually have two ac's? Add the amps up.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:55 PM   #11
X-Treme

Quote:
Do not 50 amp trailers usually have two ac's? Add the amps up.
Well, mine only has one, but is roughed in for two. But, you'll notice that I stated that with only a 15/20A plug, you won't be able to run very much and certainly not at the same time, but you CAN plug them in with no problems whatsoever.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:16 AM   #12
FullTimer

Let me clarify on what i meant. Since the OP wants to be able to run it "all". The total amps of the trailer have to be added up. Every amp, HW heater element, AC (s), TV's, lights, instant HW heater?, etc, then convert that to wattage consumption. If it ends up being 5K watts, you need to add extra room for safety, so say go up to a 6K or so. Electrical circuits are not recommended to exceed 80% of the circuit. The same goes for wattage of a gennie.

Yes, there are adapters to help get around connection problems, but no adapter exist to increase the maximum wattage of the generator. Just keep in mind, generally the larger the generator, the more fuel it consumes. I have seen people that try to get by on 30 amps with heavy loaded dual ac, instant heater, etc,, and they get rather irritated when they trip the circuit 3-4 times a day, when both ac's hit at the same time and the HW heater(s) are pulling as well.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:24 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

The OP, SandMShall, owns a Premier UltraLite 22RBPR, a 25' travel trailer. In his second post he indicated he was looking for a generator in the 4000 watt range and could not justify the price of a Honda. His RV is a 30 Amp model with (presumably) one air conditioner. Let's try to focus on answering his questions regarding a generator for his RV.

Thanks,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:02 AM   #14
FullTimer

Ahh thanks for editing the post to be more descriptive OP. Trying to stay around a 4K gennie might present some issues. If you plan on running the Ac during the summer, it's a huge consumption and other things like the electric side of the HW Heater, That alone will pretty much take all a 4K can put out.

You can shed some consumption, by switching the HW Heater to propane and turning off the electric side. That frees up from around 6-9 amps.

If the gennie would be used mainly during the winter, not using the Ac or the electric side of the HW heater, would free up alot of the load. Then that spare current can be used for one or two small space heaters, as well as having enough to run the blower motor on the propane heater.

So it really depends on you're planned uses and anticipated needs. I do think in the summer you would be hard pressed to be able to run much more than the Ac on this though. So there is no real set answer on what is best.

You definitely need one with a good muffler and spark arrestor as mentioned. Some states require the arrestor.
Here's a decent priced gennie from Home Depot. It has the same Honda car muffler as mine. But with 500 more watts than mine.
Sportsman 4,000-Watt Portable Generator $329.00
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sportsman...4065/100637527
Old 02-16-2014, 06:13 AM   #15
FullTimer

Rather than clutter the above post, I would suggest something like this. It has the car muffler, but with higher wattage to give you some head room on consumption. Plus it has the newer 4 prong plugin that the newer trailers take. The older style have the 30 amp triple prong plugin. But adapters are available to switch it to whatever you need. I hope these help get you where you need to be.

Westinghouse 5,500-Watt Gasoline Powered Portable Generator
$599.00
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Westingho...6?N=5yc1vZbx9n
Old 02-16-2014, 06:51 AM   #16
SAD
Permanent User Ban

I have a Yamaha 2800i. Nice and quiet, with clean power.

Our use is basically boon docking in spring/fall. So it's essentially used for battery charging, coffee pot, microwave.... stuff like that.

I know OP said that noise is not a factor. Consider this... We have some camping buddies that go with us every now and then. They have a "contractor style" generator from HD/Lowes... Even though they're only running it for the same use as us.... I cannot wait for their coffee to finish brewing in the morning.

It not that its just loud (it is)... It's a thrashing type of mechanical noise. Good lord it's a relief when it's off.. LOL
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:57 AM   #17
FullTimer

So true, lol. Noisy gennies are a great way to make good neighbours, not so friendly. During a power outage situation, the noise is like a beacon for the bad guys. They even brought their own bolt cutters.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:59 AM   #18
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
So true, lol. Noisy gennies are a great way to make good neighbours, not so friendly. During a power outage situation, the noise is like a beacon for the bad guys. They even brought their own bolt cutters.
Like the OP, we camp at a place where the noise is irrelevant (to others outside of our group) because it's isolated and we're alone. So our noise is only annoying to ourselves.... But the noise just grades on you after about 15 minutes.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:14 AM   #19
jje1960

Inverter generator

Boliy for us. Have been very happy, reasonable price. As stated early on in this thread, many many previous posts on this question to search on.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:34 AM   #20
bg71361

I have a Champion 3500 will power everything in my fifth wheel (15k ac) I typically run my frig and hot water heater on propane and have had no issues this Ginny cost $300 when bought and has over 400 trouble free hours on it when it goes I will drop it in the trash and buy another.

If sound is an issue just dig deeper into your pocket and spend more, caution your mileage may vary.
Good luck!
bg71361 is offline   Reply With Quote