Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2014, 05:19 AM   #1
bigracenut

What do you look for when searching for a campground?

What is the biggest thing that attracts you to a particular campground? If you owned a campground, what would you do to attract campers?

2013 Keystone Sprinter 331 RLS, "The Hillbilly Hilton"
2013 Dodge Ram 2500, 6.7 Cummins
www.campingvacationnation.com
bigracenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:10 AM   #2
Jay D

Activities for the kids 17-14 and 8
Old 01-21-2014, 06:15 AM   #3
2014Fuzion300

Bike trails, shaded sites, quiet and clean!
2014Fuzion300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:16 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

#1: Location, Location, Location.
#2: Clean, Friendly and fair prices .... Just a campground, not competing with resorts .... I'd probably loose my shirt.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:15 AM   #5
byrdr1

1: Location
2: Clean, Friendly and fair prices .... Just a campground, not competing with resorts.
I have camped at a resort style CG these last few years and the price was reasonable but it(they) keep pushing the families out of it to reach that large MH crowd that stays year round and a lot of the sites we used to stay in are NOW year round lease sites. I understand you gotta pay the bills. BUT!!
3: Clean bathhouses, even though I have my own, I still like a nice long HOT shower once and while, Just sometimes I like the space a Clean bathroom offers me.
4: I enjoy a larger style campsites that is pull through, with at least a concrete or blacktop Level parking pad for the camper. the rest of site can be pea gravel or grass but If it's grass you need a concrete or blacktop area with picnic table on it. BUT I not opposed to a back in site just makes a show for everyone to watch me back the 5er up. As long as you have room in the front or roadway for the swing of my truck& trailer.
NC state parks does a good job on this one. Sometimes they need to bring a weed eater to clean up the grassy areas..BUT over all they do a good job on the ones I go to.
5: Cable TV would be nice but not a deal breaker( I have a satellite) and a working power pedestal, 20/30/50a all wired right.
6: a nice road way in and around the campground, not some back road washed out gullies with a site thrown here and there.
you asked
Randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:30 AM   #6
koko

Clean; lots of shade trees, especially if it's hot; wide spaces with as much grass as possible; even if we're there for an attraction and need to drive a bit, we still like to stay in a quiet, country setting but with decent roads to get us there; nice personnel; pet friendly; at least cell coverage. We're from the west but recently traveled east. There are some really breathtaking campgrounds along the east coast, mainly because of all the trees!

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:34 AM   #7
LABSRUS

The cleanliness and updates of the bath house is an indication of a good campground to us; it pretty much indicates the care that is taken throughout.
Large, level sites with lots of woods and privacy between them.
Enforced quiet hours.
Trails to walk on in and around the campground for our dogs.

Julie & Scott and our 2 Chocolate labs - Hailey & Harley
2013 Ford F-150 Ecoboost crew cab short box with cap
2014 Springdale 311REGL - Seasonal campers
2008 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic Electra Glide
LABSRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:55 AM   #8
fla-gypsy

A clean natural setting with trees for shade and a good swimming hole. I spend most of my camping time at a north Florida freshwater spring or a Gulf of Mexico beach. It's the joy of Florida living.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:56 AM   #9
Kristi

Paved roads, shade trees, defined campsites, and space between sites (I don't want to feel like I camping in a parking lot) walking trails are great, too.

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:48 PM   #10
Mark TC

I look at what all it offers such as hook ups fishing trails for hiking and I also look at the camp ground on google earth to pick a spot out. I do not like being right on top of someone. I need a little space and if possible wooded or trees and on lake

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Mark TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #11
fredetteb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigracenut View Post
What is the biggest thing that attracts you to a particular campground? If you owned a campground, what would you do to attract campers?
The first thing we look for when inquiring about a campground, is whether or not they accept large dogs. We have 2 German Shepherds and a surprising number of campgrounds only accept smaller dogs. Both of ours are trained and AKC registered “Good Citizens” but many campgrounds will not allow them because of their size and/or breed. It would be nice to see more “dog friendly” amenities, like fenced dog runs and play areas.

I understand that campgrounds are businesses, and must have enough sites to make a profit, but many try to pack too many sites in too little a space. Like most we enjoy large roomy sites with plenty of grass and trees. Camping should feel natural and organic not a sterile concrete landscape stacked in row upon row of parking lot.

One of the nicest features I've seen at a campground is a “group camp” area. It had a central courtyard with 4 campsites on each side. The sites all faced the center to make a private area for gathering. We often go camping with 2-3 others and being able to have a common area for eating and entertaining is a real bonus.

I think that campgrounds in the future are going have to adapt to the larger units that are available now. Our current combo (in signature below) totals about 60ft combined, and it can be difficult finding a suitable area to park, unload, and unhook. This is especially true of state/federal park campgrounds.

By and large most every campground we've stayed in as been clean, friendly and well maintained. Those that are sub-par usually close quickly or become full time low-rent trailer parks. For the most part as long as the staff keeps the grounds maintained and the check-in is handled in a timely manner we don't have any complaints.

Our dream spot would be a private 2-3 acre lot on the coast. . . oh well, guess we keep dreaming and go camping at Edisto Beach.
Tonneau cover. BullyDog GT. High Idle Mod.
B&W Turnoverball™ with a Companion 5th Wheel Hitch.
2018 Keystone Montana High Country 381TH.
fredetteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:53 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

OK, So far it's been "things I want" Here's some "things I don't want":

I don't want my awning to end at the neighbor's electric pole.

I don't want a sign that says no awning mats when the only grass is in the cracks under my RV.

I don't want dirt under the awning, you know, the kind that turns to mud even with the morning dew.

I don't want a long list of "rules" and find that everyone pretty much ignores the rules and does as they wish.

I don't want a "well worn" path right next to my awning that leads to the bathhouse.

I don't want a campground host that insists he knows how to best guide me into the site. In fact, I don't want the host to help (unless I ask for help).

I don't want to have to park my tow vehicle across the street and up 4 spaces.

I don't want someone weed eating the "rocks" where there's no grass at 7AM slinging stuff all over my lawn furniture as we try to drink our first cup of coffee.

I don't want the neighbor to walk over with two beers and a folding chair at supper time.

I don't want to hear dogs barking all night long (and all day long) when the sign says, "Do not leave your pets unattended".

I don't want my utilities to be 2 sites down and have to unhook the neighbors water hose to add a "Y" fitting to get water for my RV when I paid for "full hookups"

That's a few, and no, I'm not antisocial, but when I want to "get away" that doesn't mean "move to another 'portable suburbia"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:11 PM   #13
Steve S

If I can see my neighbors I won't camp there, I need my trees.
Here in B.C it's pretty easy to find wooded campgrounds where no one bothers you and you don't need to book a year in advance.
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:29 AM   #14
rode2nowhere

flat and level
rode2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:37 AM   #15
Western Traveler

Level site shaded by trees blocking the view of the neighboring sites with fishing and hiking close by and few amenities other than an awesome view.

2014 Cougar 21RBSWE "The Sugar Shack"
2006 F250 Super duty "Buttercup"
King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Reese Straight-line Dual cam WDH
Me and My Bride
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:44 PM   #16
cabinfever

We like trees and prefer a short/ wide site over a long narrow one. Also prefer level, but if going anywhere go uphill. If the site goes downhill the outside kitchen gets a little high, especially for us short people!...LOL

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:49 AM   #17
Jca3

I don't want to be packed in rows with my slide touching the other person's trailer and a tiny patch of lawn identical to the other site. We stay in state/federal/national parks instead of private because the private ones seem to want to pack as many in as they can. I like trees, bushes to hide the view of the other person's site.
We gravitate to places with water views -- river, ocean or lake to the back of us (we have a large back window) or to the side. I just love to look at water and have our morning coffee looking at the birds or hearing the surf.
We don't need much, but do like electric sites, water is nice too. Dump sites are really important but I only pull into private camps for the washer/dryer option. Never use public showers or bath.
I agree with others who said they are getting away and the less we hear or see of others and can concentrate on nature we are happy campers.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:24 PM   #18
Hansel

Easy access (Pull through's) large area per site,flat and level also
Shade and lots of it
Trails for walking,jogging,biking, walking pet's
Full Hook up's
Clean bathroom's/Shower's
Paved road's, hate gravel roads
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:32 AM   #19
crash

Location Location Location,Most of all Pet friendly (if you dont allow dogs you dont allow me,our dogs are our kids now that our 2 legged ones are grown and gone out on their own )No muddy sites we like grassy ones.Must be able to have a fire camping just aint camping without a fire to me)wide big sites where we can let our side patio down without it being in the next campers site,Where theirs not alot of sreaming little kids we are at that age ours are grown up and gone (YOU KEEP YOUR RUG RATS QUIET AND I WILL KEEP MY DOGS QUIET)And finally a place where we can seat and drink and meet like minded people to enjoy each others company,Just our 2 cents.
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:00 PM   #20
elkhorn98

campgrounds

Water - A lake, river or stream.
Shade and lots of trees
Private sites and away from other sites.
2007 Springdale 245 5th Wheel - E-Z Flex HD Suspension Upgrade
with Firestone Transforce Ht Lt 2357515 C tires
elkhorn98 is offline   Reply With Quote