Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2014, 06:57 AM   #21
sbmarks3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullTimer View Post
Well we got snow/ sleet last night, true test of all the work, current temp at 18F and windchill of 4F. We are snug and warm in our improved trailer. I turned the propane heater to 72 and it has yet to kick on. We're using two small little electrics for heat. No fears of tanks (FW still empty pending switches) or water lines freezing Yiipee! And NOT dripping water lol.
Great Job FullTimer,
It's nice to be warm!
What steps did you take to prevent your water supply hose from freezing up?
I saw a Youtube video where a guy wrapped aluminum foil the full length of the hose then taped heat tape over that, then wrapped in foam insulation. Heat tape is not supposed to be used on hose, but the foil should protect and help transfer the heat around the full circumference of the hose. I gave it a try on a 25' hose. I have it full and under pressure for 3 days now outside of my house as a test, so far works like a charm. our temps have been dropping down to the high teens and low twentys over night here in the Atlanta area.

2012 F-350 Super Duty King Ranch 6.7 diesel
B&W Roll Over Hitch
2009 Fuzion 403 Toy Hauler 5th wheel
1969 Harley Electraglide (Mine)
2005 Harley Lowrider (The Wife's)
sbmarks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:18 AM   #22
FullTimer

Thanks! I also that vid of him wrapping with foil first. I have always just taped the heat tape to the hose, then slipped 1 inch foam pipe insulation over that, taped that every foot or so. That gray tube looking stuff. It's worked great for me for almost 4 years. Main thing is leave a little extra heat tape on the end that connects to the trailer, where the tape will extend onto that connection. then cover with the tube insulation, just notch it, so it turns 90 degrees cleanly, then just tape it to make it stay closed. I use a 90 degree water connection at the trailer, so the hose doesn't stand straight out, but hangs straight down. It keeps the stress off the trailer city water connector that way. It's metal so it has to be covered as well. Something like below. Hardware store has them.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...try-elbow/1745

On my sewer. I have schedule 40 3 inch pipe to the dump connection, about 16-18 feet. Then I just wrap that and tape every few feet with the same 3 1/2 insulation I used on the under carriage. Some take the stretch sewer pipe and slip in into a larger piece of pipe, to keep snow or ice off of it, but I haven't tried that. Even the bare schedule 40 pipe will freeze, I have had it happen once before I insulated it and seen others also. Nothing like having a 3 inch pipe full of frozen sewage, ugh.

It's not too bad right now, we have been through MUCH worse. A few inches of powder out there. Wind gusting 30-40mph. A thin layer of ice under the snow. I'm sure you'll notice the propane tanks, I keep 100# for emergencies lol.

FullTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #23
mikell

We're going into our 5th winter with a standard water hose with aluminum tape then the heat tape. Slid the whole thing thru pipe insulation then wrapped it with foil bubble wrap insulation. Works fine except one of the hose ends blew apart.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:50 PM   #24
abneynormal

Thumbs up looks good

I had thought about putting 1" Styrofoam above the corplast. I didn't think about tank heaters. I full time and the raptor is kept in a building so cold isn't really that much of a factor here in Alabama. as for your project I would corplast it or at least run aluminum strips across it. as for a tape they use a ac foil tape that should hold. I would clean with denatured alcohol so as to not dissolve the foam insulation. I wish you the best
Old 01-09-2014, 07:35 AM   #25
FullTimer

Thanks guys. I finally got my illuminated heater switches in, so hoping to snake the wire up the wall and finish that up in the next few days. On the tape, I was also wondering if maybe there was a residue on the sheets, when I taped them the first time with foil tape. Like pointed out, I may try to wipe the joints to clean them and try a section to see how it holds up to cold weather.

Since the weather has been hit and miss outside I haven't been working under the trailer, I have been working inside, installing a double light fixture, to replace a single above the sink, and the hood vent switch that quit this last week. Little things like that that, I like light lol. The dim light in the bathroom, a dbble fixture with the 925 bulbs, that was bugging me. I replaced the bulbs, installed clear covers and was amazed at how much brighter the light was now. Most would consider the trailer very bright anyway, but I like tons of light.

I did find a local cabinet shop that will make me the extra doors (to match what I have) for several areas, so cutting inside access will help during nasty weather. I popped off the cabinet panel under the oven, that goes in under the cabinet and found an unused quite sizable area, that joins the large storage under the sink, I plan on using for cleaning items. Needs a door there. I will be cutting an matching opening to the side of the one dining bench, to allow inside access there. That will need a door also.

So there's plenty to do inside as well lol. I might not ever be done lol
Old 01-12-2014, 01:27 PM   #26
FullTimer

Well, just about done with the heating pads. We ran the wire up the wall, cut out the switch location yesterday. Grounded the negative side of the pads on the frame. So all I have left to do it run the positive 12 to the power center and wire the switches in. Then of course check with an clamp on volt meter to verify current is flowing. Hopefully I can get some choraplast by this spring and seal the under side.
This gives me a good solid ground, that also runs up under the sink also. The illuminated switches have to have a ground to light up.

Wires ran up the wall. Messy, but will be using some automotive wire loom on it to tidy it up. I pulled an extra ground wire in case I needed it in the future.
https://imageshack.com/i/nrf5fwp

Them popping out the hole for the switches.
https://imageshack.com/i/jtkdbcp

I'll be routing the 12 volt power wire through here, across the heater compartment, then into the back of the power center to a fused connection.
https://imageshack.com/i/nqsqgop

So anyhow, the major brunt of it all is done, except for powering up the pads with the soon to be installed switches.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:27 AM   #27
FullTimer

Well another portion of the winterizing is complete. The tie in of the power and power up of the switches, leading to the FW tank heating pads. Yesterday, I killed the shore power and disconnected the battery and pulled the main 12 volt feed into the power center, Magnetek 6300Q series. Connected it to a spare open fused feed and installed a 10 amp ATC fuse for protection. This also gave me a chance to clean years of lint accumulation from inside the converter area (very flammable) and I found a large Ziplock bag that somehow migrated to the area behind the converter. I was pleased to see a cooling fan on the back, I assume thermostatically controlled, to flow cooler air through the high voltage side of it. Today the FW tank gets filled since I'll have the water off to replace a dripping HW tank T&P valve. I broke down and bought the socket that fits over the valve and will be trying it to get the valve out.
So anyway here's a few last shots of this project for now, until this spring when I can afford choroplast.
Red fuse is the 10 amp feed for the pads.Pads pull max 4 amps. I placed a box of spare fuses inside the compartment

Here's an older pic of what the switches look like powered up.

ETA, I just used the Camco socket to remove the T&P valve, there was no way I would have gotten it out without it. The price of the socket, saved me the price of a repair. Nice!
Old 01-19-2014, 02:32 PM   #28
sbmarks3

Nice Job Fulltimer !
It feels good to wrap up a project, I know! From what I have seen you have made this unit much more livable in a short period of time.
Tracy

2012 F-350 Super Duty King Ranch 6.7 diesel
B&W Roll Over Hitch
2009 Fuzion 403 Toy Hauler 5th wheel
1969 Harley Electraglide (Mine)
2005 Harley Lowrider (The Wife's)
sbmarks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:25 PM   #29
FullTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmarks3 View Post
Nice Job Fulltimer !
It feels good to wrap up a project, I know! From what I have seen you have made this unit much more livable in a short period of time.
Tracy
Thank you sir, high praise indeed. I see you're busy on yours as well! I'm really looking forward to your opinion of all the work you did to yours. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised lol. And your right on mine, it is so much more enjoyable now, as well protected too much lower temps.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:46 AM   #30
FullTimer

I just wanted to give an update on how well all the mods went, during our last storm and waking up to a mild 10mph northerly breeze and an 1/8 of ice this morning. It's hovering at 31 degrees and windchill 23 right now, and expected to go downhill through the weekend.

I ordered a different foil tape and redid half of the joints of the styrofoam under the trailer, as a test a week ago. The new stuff, which has a blueish adhesive, is working stellar.

Secondly, I had filled the FW tank before our last nasty storm, windchill -15 for about 24 hours, pretty nasty weather indeed and ran the 12 volt heating pads for almost 36 hours straight. The tank didn't freeze or try too, but I did have the suction line freeze, tested during the brunt of the storm by turning city feed off, and the pump refused to pump. I suspect the inlet line under the cabinet froze, yes, it was that cold lol, so I will be double insulating it when I can. I triple insulated it under the trailer, knowing it would freeze first. I went ahead and dumped the tank until I do.

The gray and black holding tanks are doing great and one less worry there.
So, so far the mods are doing great and what they were designed for for the most part.
As a side note: Yesterday, I had a new lady move in next to me, in her 2014 something or other, her first adventure and trailer. I spent several hours explaining things and helping her hook up. What I saw under her trailer struck fear in me, everything, I mean everything is exposed....She has a nice large shower with the large rain head shower, the lines are in the ceiling, again, wondering how well it will tolerate. I explained she will have to run water, and what to do with the tanks, to keep them from freezing hopefully......I suspect the park manger, who is down since some medical procedures were done, put her there, so I could keep an eye on things. Hoping for the best for her.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:19 AM   #31
superdog404
Gone Traveling

Your just loved FullTimer!!!
superdog404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:31 AM   #32
FullTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog404 View Post
Your just loved FullTimer!!!
Lol I guess. I guess I have seen too many get in over their heads and it really sours their outlook on camper trailers.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:04 PM   #33
Steve S

Hi, I was wondering how well your tank heaters work and are you happy with them?
I'm in the same boat you were in and I'll be doing the same improvements.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:20 AM   #34
Steve S

Fulltimer you have an un answered question waiting above
Also do you remember what you paid for the heating mat? I got quoted $150.00 yesterday for a tank mat that runs on 110 and 12 volt.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #35
FullTimer

Lol, sorry dude, been on Ebay lol.

I paid around $25 apiece. I think they are 135 watt each. The switches and wire cost me another $35 or so. I figured duals would be plenty for that tank, so I put the two on it. And yep, I gave it a trial by fire during a bad storm here a few weeks ago. I filled the tank, and that afternoon, I turned both pads on. That night it reached a low of -5 through -9 with a pretty stout wind. It was this way for several days and the pads stayed on throughout. The day after the storm broke, I dumped the tank and it was fine. But I did have the suction hose freeze from a one inch section I missed insulating. An easy fix.

The seller is out of them now, but I did run across other in a search the other day. Are you thinking 12 volt or 120? Just be aware most of these aren't thermostatically controlled (unless stated), so the tank has to have liquid and a switch to control operation when near freezing temps.

Here's one I just ran across. 12 volt, 68 watts, 26 X 6 1/2 . http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Camper-Tr...a4ae32&vxp=mtr
Old 02-13-2014, 05:42 PM   #36
Steve S

Wow $29.00 and I'm in business? Sure beats the heck out of the quote I just got.
I'm going to go cheap on this as I'll just run it 24/7 for the short few weeks of winter that we get.
I will install a switch somewhere so I can shut off during the rest of the year.
This e-bay shopping looks pretty cool but I need a credit card. I've never had a credit card in my life, never needed one till now.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:50 PM   #37
FullTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Wow $29.00 and I'm in business? Sure beats the hell out of the quote I just got.
I'm going to go cheap on this as I'll just run it 24/7 for the short few weeks of winter that we get.
I will install a switch somewhere so I can shut off during the rest of the year.
This e-bay shopping looks pretty cool but I need a credit card. I've never had a credit card in my life, never needed one till now.
Lol, if you know what something is worth retail, many times it pays off to go there. We buy alot from there, so I wait until a few things come in, then zip by the Post Office and grab it all. Plus I can find things there, I wouldn't be able to, in Tulsa. Like the double illuminated switches for the pads. My son buys on there, as well as sells, using a prepaid card. He said it was a pain to setup, but he does. He has it linked through PayPal somehow.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:58 PM   #38
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Wow $29.00 and I'm in business? Sure beats the heck out of the quote I just got.
You don't need a credit card. Go to WalMart, buy a MasterCard or Visa gift card, put the amount you want on it and use that card number as you would a credit card..... You can take the card back to WalMart and put more money on it next time you want to use it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:11 PM   #39
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You don't need a credit card. Go to WalMart, buy a MasterCard or Visa gift card, put the amount you want on it and use that card number as you would a credit card..... You can take the card back to WalMart and put more money on it next time you want to use it.
Thanks John that's a great idea, now I just have to find a WalMart!
Old 06-09-2014, 07:36 PM   #40
fireballxl5

Greetings, Full-Timer! Great thread...lots of neat ideas. Currently have the bottom off my 07 Laredo 29RL 5'er...had to fix the tank sensors since the factory saw fit to allow the slide rack/pinion run over and cut the ribbon cable. While under, I was thinking about the cheap insulating job they did and what to do different.

To the point: the photos hosted by imageshack aren't showing up. Is the server down or did you pull them down? Sure would like to see them. A picture is worth a thousand words (though you and the others have done a good job discrediting that.) Happy journeys!
fireballxl5 is offline   Reply With Quote