Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
patrickstar

Generator Oil Change

So, we live in the beautiful yet very wet/moist Pacific Northwest. I need to change the oil in my generator (Fuzion 302) and am wondering if I would not be better off waiting until spring so condensation doesn't collect in the oil.

We do plan on using the 5th wheel throughout the winter but doubt we will be in any situation when we would need the generator.

Opinions?
patrickstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
abneynormal

??

I run mine occasionally during the winter to keep the fuel system problem free. I never change my oil as frequently as suggested. in vehicles 5000 miles. 4000 in my bike. my view is simple I use oem or wix filters only. nothing fram or store brand, unless its napa most of their filters are made by wix. and for the oil Castrol or any other good brand ie no quaker state. I prefer havoline it has served me well. Castrol for my bike/ small engines. some people like synthetic. I don't see the price advantage unless you run it 20,000 miles with a few filter changes. as for the condensation I wouldn't worry too much just run it for a couple of minutes every 2 or so months. also add a fuel stabilizer. enzamite seems to be a lot of peoples favorites lately. I researched it and that's what I am using
Old 11-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
Ratchet Thunderbolt

Oil changes

I just finished winterizing my toy hauler including an oil and filter change on the Onan gen set. After removing the stock filter and replacing it with a Napa filter I couldn't get it to quit leaking. On my unit the filter is really hard to get at. I ended up buying the Onan filter and the correct cup wrench that fits on the end of the filter. No leaks now.

IMO you can do the oil change anytime you want. I ran my gen set out of fuel this fall then put in 2 1/2 gallons of fresh fuel in the tank along with the proper amount of fuel stabilizer. I then ran it with the new fuel. The carburetor on my unit has a drain screw to empty the bowl out , which I did, so you don't end up with varnish. I feel if you start the unit up during the winter for just a few minutes you'll get more condensation from the heating and cooling than you would if you just let it set. The book also recommends using a fogging spray directly into the air intake to lube the internals. I didn't do that. I store two Harley's and a Vette. None of them get started in the winter, they just sit there with battery tenders on them until the spring.

You'll get lots of opinions, I hope mine helps.

Doug
Ratchet Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
abneynormal

i guess

I guess that's a good thing about living in the south. a nice day I open the 2 doors and fire the generator up for 15 minutes every 2 months I also ride my bike on those occasional 45 degree days. I still winterize the rv's fuel. ive opted for star tron this year it has had the best reviews and it has enzamyte to control bacteria in the fuel due to any water that might get into it