Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
djincv

Converter breaker is popping

My 28KRS has been working for months on shore power without a battery. A few weeks ago I went to use it and most systems were not working. The CON breaker is tripping. I've replaced the AC breaker and the converter and it didn't help. Should the breaker trip if I disconnect the converter from the DC fuse panel? (It does)
I've currently got all the systems back up by adding a battery with an external charger. The CON breaker is still tripping.
Shore power is good. I took the old converter to an RV center and they told me it was good.
djincv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
ktmracer

on many trailers the converter is on the same circuit as the fridge AC element AND many of the non GFI 120VAC outlets. I suspect that you have something else plugged in that exceeds 15A. OR.. a shorted fridge heating element that is popping the breaker. Turn the fridge to propane and see if the breaker still pops.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

The battery acts as a "buffer" for the converter. If you did use the converter to power the systems in the trailer for an extended period of time, you may have put some pretty demanding 12 volt loads on it. Without the battery to help protect the converter during the power surges, you may have damaged the converter. I'd dig out your owner's manual, check all the troubleshooting guides contained in it and if you do find the converter is bad, replace it. Replacement is not terribly difficult, just do a search for "converter replacement" on here and you'll find some people who have posted their experiences.

To answer your question about the circuit breaker tripping even with the 12 VDC power panel disconnected, if the primary side of the transformer is shorted, then yes, the circuit breaker will trip even if there is no 12 volt output.

Good luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:15 AM   #4
djincv

Updated information

Thanks for your comments!

The REC circuit is also on the same breaker. However, I have removed it from the breaker. The only wire to the breaker goes directly to the converter. The converter trips the breaker without output to the DC panel.

I suppose it's possible that the new converter I installed is also bad.
djincv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:05 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

How long ago did you install the "new" converter? It wouldn't take much over a few days of heavy 12VDC use without a battery to overheat the windings in the primary side of the transformer. So, the "new" converter may have been good on installation and could be damaged within a few days. Are you certain the battery you installed is good? A shorted cell in the battery will overload the charging circuit in the converter and could easily cause it to open the CB.

If the only thing connected to the CB is the converter and it's tripping the breaker, then disconnect the converter and reconnect the receptacles and see if it still trips. If it does, bad breaker or short at the output of it. If it doesn't, then you've got a problem with the converter or the wiring going to it.

The primary side of the converter transformer should be protected by a fuse, but in some models, WFCO elected to rely on the 120VAC CB for protection. I still think you have an issue with the primary side of the transformer, but I'd disconnect the converter and reconnect the receptacles first, just to be sure there's not a loose or shorted wire in the CB panel. Almost every panel I've opened has had at least a couple of terminal screws that were "looser" than the others. It's pretty easy for one to slip out and touch something it's not supposed to touch.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote