Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #21
neesey62

After you removed the boarder, how did you get the excess glue off of the wall?
neesey62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #22
theeyres

My vote is for the reading lamps. My wife and I are readers and I've never had a trailer that put real reading lamps in the right place! Good mods.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #23
RJ&S

Quote:
Originally Posted by neesey62 View Post
After you removed the boarder, how did you get the excess glue off of the wall?
Well, I didn't really. Nothing I tried worked, and I tried everything I could think of. Because I covered up the area with a border of picture frames, I'm not too concerned. The border in the kitchen was covered by the Smart tiles from Home Depot.

Ray & Jackie
2012 Keystone Springdale 5th Wheel
2008 Chevrolet 2500 HD Duramax
Our mods
RJ&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #24
suza

Unhappy Smart Tile installation warning for gas stoves

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiocougar View Post
I've been wanting to do the smart tile also, I wondered about the heat from the stove top. I know you just did the mod but do you think heat will cause a problem? I have not been to Home Depot to look at it up close.
Warning: I planned to install Smart Tiles around the stove and was excited when they arrived this afternoon. Disappointed, however, when I took them out of the package. The instructions say, "For gas ranges without a back control panel or a metal plate, you must preserve a safety zone (without Smart Tiles) of 15" on the back wall" (and in my instance, the side wall since the stove is next to the fridge) "to prevent direct exposure to open flames". This would be the entire wall area surrounding my stove as it is 15" to the ventilator hood and our stove does not have the metal folding top that would at least shield the back wall.

I see some have installed them behind the stove; perhaps these have the metal shield. I don't intend to try it, as these tiles were quite expense. At the least, the heat might make them come off the wall and I don't want to have to be concerned about the amount of heat I expose the walls to.

Because the tiles are advertised as heat resistant, I assumed it was ok to use them behind the stove. Apparently the problem is the open flame. No where does Home Depot say this, but a Q&A on the Smart Tiles website does. I just didn't do my homework.

I also purchased 3" decorative Smart Tiles for a backsplash around the bathroom vanity. These I will install, but the kitchen tiles I will regrettably be returning.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #25
frankyb01

We were only in our alpine 3540RL full time for a couple of months when my wife decided it was time to decorate. We ended up taking down all of the valences in the living and dining areas. I was amazed at how much bigger and brighter it was. My wife is going just put up sheers in place of them. Besides that we painted the entire living, dining and kitchen area. My wife didn't like the mottled wall paper look. We used a light shade of yellow. That has also made everything look larger and brighter. I'll have to post some pictures soon.

Frank
frankyb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #26
neesey62

Can't wait to see the pics.
neesey62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #27
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by neesey62 View Post
Can't wait to see the pics.
Me too! Always fun to see what others are doing to liven up the interior of their RVs
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 08-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #28
Jewels

Clean-able?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ&S View Post
The Smart Tiles are shiny, flexible plastic. I think they'll be fine as long as we don't cook at high heat for long periods of time. We cooked breakfast on the stove Sunday morning and it didn't even get warm to the touch. It will be really easy to clean also. Post pics if you do it!
Love your tile, but are these cleanable? Meaning if you got food on them can they be scrubbed, and if so with what? Also how do they look? Have seen many reviews that the looked cheap, however ours looks very nice! On our previous MH I tiled behind the stove and sink but used the sticky mat with glass subway tiles and grouted. Look beautiful and held up well!
Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #29
suza

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
Love your tile, but are these cleanable? Meaning if you got food on them can they be scrubbed, and if so with what? Also how do they look? Have seen many reviews that the looked cheap, however ours looks very nice! On our previous MH I tiled behind the stove and sink but used the sticky mat with glass subway tiles and grouted. Look beautiful and held up well!
I am considering glass tiles instead of Smart Tiles, but am concerned about restricting flex in the outer wall and the possibility of cracking the tiles and/or grout. You say you used sticky mat. What is this? Have you had any trouble with cracking or separation from the wall?

I ordered some Smart Tiles for behind the stove, but when they arrived I read the warning about installing them near open flame and sent them back. I also thought they looked "cheap". I do believe they would be easily cleaned with warm, soapy water.

I did install a backsplash of 3 1/2" Smart Tiles around the bathroom sink and am happy with them.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 08-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #30
BulletOwner1

If I'm not mistaken, the "sticky mat" mentioned is a product sold at home depot that one uses to install tile without thin set or mastic. Similar to double sided tape. It's a net mesh material with adhesive "dots" on both sides of the mesh. You peel the protective paper off one side and apply to the wall then peel the other side off and apply the tile to the wall. I've used it once and so far so good. Allows you to install tile and grout in one day. Expensive though.

RJ&S,

Really like the head banger mod. Do you miss the storage space? Like the lights also. Are they difficult to find on EBAY? They would be good over our chairs in the back of our TT.

EDIT: Found the lights.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #31
Jewels

Sticky Mat -Not the Name, But theIdea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suza View Post
I am considering glass tiles instead of Smart Tiles, but am concerned about restricting flex in the outer wall and the possibility of cracking the tiles and/or grout. You say you used sticky mat. What is this? Have you had any trouble with cracking or separation from the wall?

I ordered some Smart Tiles for behind the stove, but when they arrived I read the warning about installing them near open flame and sent them back. I also thought they looked "cheap". I do believe they would be easily cleaned with warm, soapy water.

I did install a backsplash of 3 1/2" Smart Tiles around the bathroom sink and am happy with them.
Yes, the sticky mat is as outlined however I prefer the brand from Lowes. It is all sticky not with dots. You stick it to the wall and then you stick the tiles on. Must grout within 8 hours. It is expensive, however the area being covered in a fifth wheel is fairly small. I did this in a motorhome and it worked perfectly. Never lost a tile and had no grout cracks at all!
Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote