Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2013, 03:27 AM   #1
Boyink

293SAB Cougar - Windows in Bunkhouse

Hi all -

We are considering a Cougar 293 SAB but dislike the lack of windows in the bunk slide. Has anyone looked into what it would take to add windows in this spot?

I've already called Keystone and was deferred back to dealer.
Boyink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
JBE-Dad

What year are you looking at? I have a 2009 293SAB and have a window on the back wall of the RV in the bunkhouse, none on the bed slide but there is a good size one on the back wall.

2015 Sprinter 316BIK
2015 Ford F150
JBE-Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
Boyink

I see the rear window but that's not enough air for a bedroom with two teens - which is why I'm asking about putting windows in the bunk slide. None of the new or used versions of this floorplan have them.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
PilotIndy

Adding a window into the slide is something a dealer service department may be able to do. However, I cannot see to many wanting to take upon this adventure, due to the changes it could create in the strength of the slide structure and the possibility of water leakage. While I do not own this trailer, I did have opportunity to look at one while at the dealership recently. It is a VERY nice unit.

All I will say from my experiences with trailers, any "hole" or "opening" into the trailer is an avenue for water ingress, if the window installation is not done properly, you may end up with water problems.

Additionally, any window you put in, you will need to consider some form of screen, shade or window tint to keep people from peering in. The use of plastic or metal blinds is not ideal in a window that is in a bunk area. As the person sleeping tends to bump into them at night, in some cases, making a noise that wakes them and their partner in the bunk above.

You might be better off getting a window fan or building a small thin stand and putting a box fan in front of the window, or better yet.. Just get an oscillating fan on a stand and set it in front of the rear window and let it bring in fresh air in or move it out.
PilotIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
Watt

We have a 293SAB for two kids ages 11 and 8. So far there has been no issues with the lack of bunk windows. In cool weather, we open the rear window and overhead vent and it gets cool enough the kids use blankets. Having been in some heavy rain, I would not want to cut additional openings in exterior walls. If it's a necessity, I'd suggest a different floor plan. We have found the 293SAB to be a great trailer for us, the kids spend most of their time outside anyway.
Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
Elstonian

Hello, we first looked at the 293 sab and thought the same, but then we Looked at the 324 RLB, its the same layout as the 293 up front except it has a loft in back up top and below is the 1/2 bath and a couch that makes into a bed that also has a table and there's a tv back there also, the couch is a slide out and there are 3 windows there that open, you may want to take a look, you might like It better we did & ended up buying it.

2006 GBC Sierra 2500(gas)
2013 Cougar 324 RLB
Elstonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:43 AM   #7
Boyink

I see other Cougars with what looks to be that same slide size, shape and location just in a different floorplan, with windows in the slide unit so can't believe it couldn't be done without affecting the integrity. Most slide units have windows?

I also wouldn't be concerned about leakage - it's not like you'd want existing windows removed for that concern, the installation is straightforward as is the testing of the seal.

And yea, window coverings. Curtains. Done.

However we toured the unit yesterday and it just didn't fit us. In addition to that back bedroom just feeling claustrophobic without more windows we were disappointed in the storage back there for kid's clothes (we're full-timers, not just camping).

We didn't like how the kitchen was arranged with the only drawers around the corner, no smaller drawers for silverware, and the only outlets on the underside of the top cabinets where the wires - if they reach at all - would be dangling all the time.

We looked at loft models but our kids are adult-sized (boy is 6') and the rooms under the lofts didn't have enough headroom. Our current trailer has a small bunkhouse they can't stand up in so we are trying to change that.

We really wanted to like the Cougar but ended up finding a Wildcat that suits our full-timing needs better.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:58 AM   #8
KanTC

Boyink,

Glad you were able to find a trailer that suits your family's needs. Of course you're welcome to stay on our forum (lots of general RV info here),
but simply as an FYI - Forest River owners have a similar forum too.

Good luck with your new Wildcat, and happy trails!
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote